Votes: 13 34.2%
  • No, it looks like crap to me

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Yes, I am a geek and want to see the gear used in the movie

Votes: 14 36.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd give it a 5 out of ten. It was not nearly as scary as I expected it to be. The director kept the shots very tightly focused, sometimes with purposefully low-quality audio and filming ... probably to make you feel more like a direct observer, but I found it irritating. I sort of expected the classic shot where they pan back continually, until you get an aerial shot that shows these two black specks in the middle of an immense ocean, but they never did that.

Unlike a lot of movies, the scuba stuff was very real -- the clutter of the dive boat, the equipment, the terminology and slang. The sharks were VERY real and the scenes believable. I won't give away the ending, but it was all pretty predictable and a bit drawn-out.

I was a bit afraid that it would have a "Jaw's" like effect on diving. While there will probably be some of that, it'll probably just amplify people's shark fears -- but they probably wouldn't ever dive anyway. It'll also probably stimulate sales of emergency horns, mirrors, strobes, sausages, flares, etc.

I'd wait for it to come out on video.

headhunter:
Did you see it on Friday or Saturday? :wink:

Christian

Thanks - it was Friday. (Brainfart!) It's okay - I've been calling today Tuesday all day... :wink: :wink:

MyDiveLog:
I'd give it a 5 out of ten. It was not nearly as scary as I expected it to be. The director kept the shots very tightly focused, sometimes with purposefully low-quality audio and filming ... probably to make you feel more like a direct observer, but I found it irritating. I sort of expected the classic shot where they pan back continually, until you get an aerial shot that shows these two black specks in the middle of an immense ocean, but they never did that.

Unlike a lot of movies, the scuba stuff was very real -- the clutter of the dive boat, the equipment, the terminology and slang. The sharks were VERY real and the scenes believable. I won't give away the ending, but it was all pretty predictable and a bit drawn-out.

I was a bit afraid that it would have a "Jaw's" like effect on diving. While there will probably be some of that, it'll probably just amplify people's shark fears -- but they probably wouldn't ever dive anyway. It'll also probably stimulate sales of emergency horns, mirrors, strobes, sausages, flares, etc.

I'd wait for it to come out on video.
Thanks for the feed back, I usually don't go to the movies, i'd rather be at home and relaxed when I see a good movie, can't stand the noise and vey loud noise in the theater. I think I will watch at home. Thanks again.

Ok, so we all know that the movie Open Water is opening soon To me it looks like 1 hour and 20 minutes of floating poo, even though the girl is pretty cute :gr1: I've heard some divers say they're seriously interested in it, and as a diver, all my non-diver friends keep asking me if I'm gonna go see it opening night (which I do pretty frequently for movies). When I first heard of it, I was informed of the true story it's "based on," and decided I didn't want to see this glorified crap :thumbs_do about people who possibly disappeared on purpose. And it's bad publicity for our friend the :jaws:

Now that I've seen the previews a few times, I have to admit my curiosity has peaked only in the fact that I wanted to see the gear that they're using. :scubadive I saw some pix and they have scubapro BCs and Regs ... it looks like they have Wal-Mart fins.
Anyways, out of curiosity here's a poll...

Warren_L:
The thing cost something like $125,000 to make.

Yeah, but they made up for the difference by spending it on advertising.

no, i won't go see it. i know what happened, and i don't feel like having it turned
into entertainment.

My wife and I saw it last night. Our impression was similar to that of GrierHPharmD. The scenes on the boat were realistic, and while there were plenty of things to quibble about once the "stranding" occurred, I have to admit that it did make my stomach churn a few times...not so much because of the sharks, but rather because of the sense of emptiness that you would get being left alone on the surface. Apart from the silly knife scenes, my biggest complaint was with the notion that the dive boat wouldn't have been cleaned up until the next day. For that matter, I find it hard to believe that a boat with twenty divers would go out that far from shore for a one-tank morning dive.

But I think its worth seeing...

sdwho

It was an OK movie. I was more interested in how the dialog started with "haha where the boat" attitude. Then it progressed into full out panic near the end. The dialog seemed realistic as what we might go thru psychologicaly.

I don't think it will scare people from being certified. If they are already scared of the water before the movie, then I don't think they will make good divers in the end.

I don't like the way how the media is always making sharks look like they only eay humans or killing sharks are okay. The slicing of the shark scene was unnecessary. You can tell they were slicing it up for their fins.

Back
Top Bottom