Opinions on Salvos as DIR lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I am in High Springs, I usually shop at all three stores anyway.

. They stand behind their products at Salvo. As my friend says,"Barry is a stand-up guy...well, except for that one day." :)

It's not quite as simple as that. That being said, I will purchase only Salvo / Barry's lighting equipment as he was the brains behind Halcyon's original lighting products. Now he's doing it even better and more power to him! In fact, the latest purchases from Salvo have amounted to over 8K of video light products.

X

I think I'll probably end up going with the Salvo for the simple reason that it's about €1,100 while the equivalent Halcyon is €1,700. I really don't understand how Halcyon ever sells anything. Every time I go to buy some new kit I seem to start by looking at the Halcyon but end up deciding it simply doesn't justify the 50%+ price premium over everything else. If it was better I could understand it but general opinion seems to be that the Salvos are every bit Halcyon's equal, if not superior.

Cool, I can buy a complete stage and regulator with the money I save :)

I really would like to buy one of those new Salvo LED can lights and use it on the upcoming tech one class. However the mere mention of Salvo to senior GUE instructor immediatly made them bite their tongue. Although nothing else was said it made me wonder why such a "no comment" response happened when every other topic of gear was answered. So I did my research and found out the political side of the story.

1300 for a Salvo led light or 2000+ for an Halcyon light. Anybody show up to a tech or cave class using a Salvo light with one the top GUE instructors? What was the response?

Anybody show up to a tech or cave class using a Salvo light with one the top GUE instructors? What was the response?

I have shown up to two tech classes with a GUE instructor (one of the instructors on the GUE training council) with my Salvo and it was never an issue.

Anybody show up to a tech or cave class using a Salvo light with one the top GUE instructors? What was the response?

Buy the light you want, and do the class. JJ is an astute businessman. He's done a number of favors for me that I appreciate and was my Fundies instructor, and I shop with them when I am in town, but I own a Salvo light for several reasons.

Stop worrying about the politics and buy the tool that best suits your needs.

... just don't show up with an X-scooter and you'll be fine ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My buddy had a Salvo for Cave 1 & 2 in Mexico. There were no comments, tongue biting or response of any kind.

Just did Cave 1 with Danny Riordan. He raised his eyebrows at my DSS Kydex backplate, but didn't even look at my Salvo light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom