orientation on the surface with bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a back inflate (Zeagle Scout) and have never felt like I was being pushed forward.I have a 34# bladder and even fully inflated have never felt "pushed forward".In a calm flat quarry and heavy surf I've never had any problem leaning back and doing a surface swim.Last year at a local treasure hunt our group of 4 divers split so 2 could go check out a spot while I and another waited at the surface.He was also wearing a back inflate.We were leisurely floating on our backs watching our buddies bubbles and I said something along the lines of "I was reading on SB the other day about back inflates pushing your face in the water,what do you think?" We both had a good chuckle. I suppose with a different rig and weight configuration it could be a problem.But I am yet to encounter or observe it.

I don't notice a tendency to be pushed forward when upright, but I use heavy steel tanks (and don't spend much time floating upright). Get fully on your back and it's like laying on an air mattress. I don't use any weighting except a belt. What I really like is that all that crap is behind me.

Greetings freedc I have been diving back inflate since the start and have had very little trouble with the face down.
I did learn right away to place my weights on my belt in a position that trims me out correctly and you will not notice it a bit.
I prefer to do a sweeping frog kick while on my back swimming it is very relaxing for me personally.
BP&W, SM, jacket bc if it is getting me into the water I do not care what it is I'll dive it!
Safe diving and have fun!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

To reiterate what others have said, if you don't overweight yourself then a BPW will not need to be full of air and thus won't push you on your face.

I do all my diving in a BP&W and have never had a problem with being pushed 'face down'.

The key aspect is not to over-inflate the wing. This is a change that many divers transfering from poodle jackets have to make, because they are typically used to fully inflating their BCDs at the surface. With a BP&W you have to add sufficient air for surface floatation, and not blindly squeeze the LPI button until you hear the over-pressure valve popping.

Some use of trim weights can also help with surface stability. Whilst this isn't critical (if you don't over-inflate the wing), it can help settle you. I use 2x 1lb weights mounted on my upper cam band. These are primarily for my horizontal trim underwater, but probably also contribute slightly to being upright on the surface.

Swimming on your back is easy (easier?) in a BP&W than a jacket BCD (IMHO). The 'trick' with this is to get yourself fully horizontal on your back at the surface. If you are fully horizontal, then the wing acts like a 'raft' underneath you. It is very relaxing. If you don't get fully horizontal, and maintain a slanted angle in the water, then the wing will have a tendancy to migrate air to the top... which will push you back into a vertical position again.

Same as all the above, even with a 40# wing fully inflated, I have never even slightly gone face forward. Maybe it really is possible with a certain configuration, but I'm starting to think it's a myth.

You know, it's funny, because a lot of folks say, "If you don't overinflate the wing, this won't happen." Well, I have a neurotic need to have my face out of the water -- so if I'm on the surface, my wing is inflated until the OPV pops, at least most of the time. And I don't feel any tendency to pitch forward. I can remember one or two dives somewhere -- I don't remember where, but I suspect it was in warm water, and using an Al80 -- where I DID feel a slight tendency to go forward, and was surprised. I concluded it was a combination of a near-empty positive tank and having my weights on the weight belt in front of me. It was easily manageable, and it was the only time I've ever felt it.

The only time I've ever felt a tendency to roll forward was when I forgot to connect my crotch strap ... but I think that was because Uncle Pug swam up behind me, grabbed my "monkey tail" and pulled up on it ... :shocked2:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You know, it's funny, because a lot of folks say, "If you don't overinflate the wing, this won't happen." Well, I have a neurotic need to have my face out of the water -- so if I'm on the surface, my wing is inflated until the OPV pops, at least most of the time. And I don't feel any tendency to pitch forward.

I used to have this issue as well, but it seems like I've gotten over it...knock on wood.

However, I remembered distinctively when I used the Dive Rite Transpac (a back inflate BC) and I squirted until the OPV popped but it never pushed me face first. However, with a BPW (Dive Rite Transplate), I've experimented a few times with fully inflate the BC at the surface and that configuration does tend to push me on my face. The only time I had to truly and fully inflate my BPW was last weekend when I fished a 20-lbs weight pouch from the ocean floor. That mamajama took everything my 30-lbs wing had to bring it up to the surface. When I was on the surface, I swam it in face down into the water, so I didn't know whether or not the weight would have caused me to float face first or not. I didn't feel like just floating there while holding onto a weight pouch.

Back
Top Bottom