orphaned cat..needs home

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I was living in FL I would have taken him off your hands immediately without him getting any thought of jumping from the car. Who the hell drives a car with a window open and a cat inside anyway? However, it looks like he has chosen you and he must have willed that window down so he could jump out. Better he did that than escape from their house which I don't know how close to your apartment that is. Good luck with all the animals. Those squirrels are in for a fun four months. :)

Far_X:
If I was living in FL I would have taken him off your hands immediately without him getting any thought of jumping from the car. Who the hell drives a car with a window open and a cat inside anyway? However, it looks like he has chosen you and he must have willed that window down so he could jump out. Better he did that than escape from their house which I don't know how close to your apartment that is. Good luck with all the animals. Those squirrels are in for a fun four months. :)

sadly i don't think i will be able to adopt the squirrels and have lima bean. Still up in the air. The squirrels would have to go to work with me which my chief approved, but i go out a lot on weekends and don't know if i could always take them with me. I guess when i am divnig the state parks i can leave them in the ranger stations for an hour or so, but alot of times i ma in the middle of no where doing stuff for hours at a time and i don't think it would be fair to the squirrels to let them go hungry waiting for me.

i think baby squirrels need feeding like, every two hours? they are a pain in the butt

a zoology graduate student friend of mine had to raise some squirrels for a project
and he didn't sleep for two months

Wendy:
sadly i don't think i will be able to adopt the squirrels and have lima bean. Still up in the air. The squirrels would have to go to work with me which my chief approved, but i go out a lot on weekends and don't know if i could always take them with me. I guess when i am divnig the state parks i can leave them in the ranger stations for an hour or so, but alot of times i ma in the middle of no where doing stuff for hours at a time and i don't think it would be fair to the squirrels to let them go hungry waiting for me.

Not wanting to ask a really dumb question but just exactly how were the baby squirrels found? I remember a couple of years back when I was living in Louisiana after one of the hurricanes came through, Isadore, I think, I had a 60 ft pine tree just snap in the woods beyond the backyard and crashed through the fence on two sides of the yard. I don't remember seeing any baby squirrels and I know they used to play all over the trees - the cats used to watch them eagerly and could never work out how to jump from one tree to another :wink:

I had a pet behaviorist give me this suggestion for my dogs. (I know pet behaviorist....California....long story)

Fill a squirt bottle with a mixture of equal parts of water and white vinegar. When your cat exhibits a behavior you would like him not to repeat, spray him with the mixture and say no. The squirt bottle can reach across the room. It is the smell that gets the animal, it doesn't hurt them in any way. I used a squirt gun and got quite proficient with it.

Hope this helps. Enjoy Lima Bean, he is sure a cutie! Wish I could have a cat!!!

Ann Marie

yeah, just water works good too. they hate water, and get the point quickly. if the
water doesn't work, then you can try the vinegar.

Far_X:
Not wanting to ask a really dumb question but just exactly how were the baby squirrels found? I remember a couple of years back when I was living in Louisiana after one of the hurricanes came through, Isadore, I think, I had a 60 ft pine tree just snap in the woods beyond the backyard and crashed through the fence on two sides of the yard. I don't remember seeing any baby squirrels and I know they used to play all over the trees - the cats used to watch them eagerly and could never work out how to jump from one tree to another :wink:

This is squirrel birthing season. They were knocked from their nests during the storm. I talked to 2 different wildlife erhab centers and together they had about 900 baby squirrels brought in by people after the hurricane, all a week to 4 weeks old.

Wendy:
This is squirrel birthing season. They were knocked from their nests during the storm. I talked to 2 different wildlife erhab centers and together they had about 900 baby squirrels brought in by people after the hurricane, all a week to 4 weeks old.

Are your squirrels grey or red?

I found a baby squirrel that had fallen out of its nest, it was a grey squirrel. I phoned the animal welfare here in Britain (RSPCA) and was told that they would have to destroy the squirrel as the greys were killing off all the red squirrels. I wouldn't tell them where the squirrel was, and took him round to my Mums for her to look after. She fed him on a baby animal powdered formula called Lactol every 2-3 hours, Tiggy as we had named him lived with my Parents for 4 months and then we took him to the local woods and released him. He turned and looked at us for a few moments, and then scurried over to another squirrel and they started sniffing each other. Hopefully he is doing okay now and maybe has a family of his own.

Releasing Tiggy was both rewarding and emotional, but we knew we had done the right thing.
Good luck with your squirrels, and I hope your animal welfare system is more sympathetic than ours in Britain.

NetDoc:
Title for the second picture: "Gee, this smells of DOG!"
This orphaned cat thread really sucked me in and I had to read the entire thing to find out if you kept him. As I type - my cat, Willoughby, is stretched out on my bed where he's been for the past 3 hours. Geez.

Doc's comment about the photo really made me laugh. Good one.

Okay, now you have to keep us updated about the squirrels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom