orphaned cat..needs home

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ouch! :11:

see I don't think cats were meant to be on a leash...LOL....when I tried a leash on my cat once it was like she melted into the sidewalk..

cats are cats...some like water some don't....

I've nicknamed mine "The Great White Hunter"....she sounds like a pack of elephants running around upstairs ....

Wendy:
This is squirrel birthing season. They were knocked from their nests during the storm. I talked to 2 different wildlife erhab centers and together they had about 900 baby squirrels brought in by people after the hurricane, all a week to 4 weeks old.

I just have to ask, is that the cave where you found the squirrels? :) Seriously, on your photo what cave system are you in? I did the Cheesepress in England years ago which was like an 15 inch squeeze to get through. Entrance to that was up a freezing cold stream, and a February to boot!! Am finally going to marry caving ("spelbunking" you say over here?)and diving this November when I do a course in Crystal River, FL, allegedly. :wink:

Far_X:
I just have to ask, is that the cave where you found the squirrels? :) Seriously, on your photo what cave system are you in? I did the Cheesepress in England years ago which was like an 15 inch squeeze to get through. Entrance to that was up a freezing cold stream, and a February to boot!! Am finally going to marry caving ("spelbunking" you say over here?)and diving this November when I do a course in Crystal River, FL, allegedly. :wink:

!st - I don't have the squirrels, Looks like I won't due to Lima Bean and time.

2nd - the cave in my avatar is the mudroom in Howard's Waterfall in north Georgia.

3rd - if you are doing a cavern/cave diving course in Crystal River you are getting ripped off! In November tha area of the one very small cavern will be so full of tourist looking at manatees. You are better off doing a cavern course in cave country. Around Peacock Springs State Park or Ginnie Springs.

LIma Bean is driving me crazy. Wakes up too early and tracks litter outside the box. help

Sounds like you and cat are normal... :D If you want to drive the cat crazy then give them daily cuddles. :eyebrow:

Don't feed him in the mornings, or he will get up earlier and earlier.
When my elder cat was a baby and he woke me, I threw him out of the bedroom and close the door. I wore earplugs to bed until he grew up.
I got a little tiny broom/dustpan combo at the dollar store and put it next to the litterbox. Whenever I scoop it out, I sweep the floor. You can get low-track litter or put a little rug down, but you will still have to do it.
Conversely, you can teach Lima Bean to use the toilet. I have never tried it since our cats like to drink from it, but my sister's cat did, and he'd even flush. It was sort of cute, actually. There are training thingies you can buy online.

Hi Wendy,

My wife volunteers up here with a cat rescue group an dwe have more than our share of foster cats in the house, waiting for adoption, and have more than my share of cat knowledge, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Litter tracking problems, we have a combination of those plastic "litter catching" things you get at a pet store, and a piece of carpet sample (free from Sears, I believe; just ask).

Counter problems. We use, what I call the "Spray Bottle of Discipline." None of them like getting sprayed, though once in a while, they jump up, just to checke things out (usually when we're not around, or asleep).

Bathing. We have a "dry bath" powder if one of them smells weird, for some reason. For big messes (sprayed with mud, etc.) you can turn on your shower, close the curtain, throw the cat in one end and close the curtain so force them to run through the water out the other side of the curtain. That forces them to lick and clean themselves thoroughly, top to bottom. Haven't had to use this method more than twice.

Spaying and shots. Definitely check around for the various animal/cat neutering programs that are around. The one up here in CT (if I remember correctly) spays/neuters for $50 (as opposed to $200+ at a vet), with a couple of more bucks for shots and flea meds.

Claws. I agree that declawing isn't good. It's basically amputating the first digit off all their toes. And you definitely don't want to see how a cat looks at a vet's office after the surgery. You can get "soft tip" applicators for cat claws, but they wear out after a while, and They're probably a pain in the butt to apply. An easier way is to cut the claws with a finger nail or dog nail cutter. You may have to get Lima Bean used to it slowly at first, by just playing with her(?) toes for a while; then moving on to playing; then "introducing" the cutter (as in sniffing, getting used to it near her toes, etc.); then cutting only one claw . This can all happen one right after another, or it could take weeks. But it's worth it.

Good luck!

One other thing. Free feeding (just leaving dry food out) may work best if she's bothering you to get fed. One the downside, it turned a couple of our cats into blobbos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom