orphaned cat..needs home

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lima Bean is sitting so prim and proper!

On the declawing discussion:
Both of our cats are declawed on the front paws only. This was done when very young, so they've been all their lives never knowing the difference.

They are both very talented with their front paws, BTW, they use them like hands. We are happy because they don't destroy the furniture, and they are happy because we aren't mad at them.

We left their rear claws intact, because they are strictly indoor cats (we have real-live coyotes here), but just in case they got out, they'd have a way to defend themselves. Not to mention their tags have their name, our phone number and address, and says "$100 REWARD".

All the best, James

We didn't mention it earlier, but our cat, Ivory, is also declawed in the front only (he was that way when we adopted him) and it's never seemed to interfere with any "normal" cat behaviors...
It doesn't stop his "kneading" us when he's feeling "cuddly" (sorry, Wendy, but even at the ripe old age of 15 he still does it) and his natural tendancy to "scratch" at the furniture is intact, but as fdog mentioned, it doesn't get us very upset. (Worst case is when Ivory's paws are wet or dirty, and he seems to "clean" them on the sofa.)
He would "patrol" our yard, and was still capable of catching chipmunks in his younger days, although he doesn't go outside much anymore. If you saw Ivory using his paws to scoop yogurt out of a cup or play with his toys, you'd swear he DOES have hands....

You know,

RatCat caught a squirrel once... not sure who was more suprised the cat or the squirrel! :D We had her declawed since we were never going to let her out... she is still Diana: Huntress of the garden.

one of my cat "fonzi" will use his paws to drink water from our cups we have to keep an eye out for it

dave

All of our cats are front declawed, and they are prrof that claws are not needed to hunt. Peekay, who weighs 11lbs (OK, 13 now that she isn't allowed out and has gotten lazy. We're working on that.), managed to bring a full grown and apparently uninjured crow through our dog door! Never teach a cat to use a dog door unless you really want them to have that freedom. Should I list some of the reasons they now have invisible fence at the dog door? Let's see, a live rat, a live garter snake, a live but badly injured sparrow, a dead glass lizard (I still don't know if we found all the pieces before we moved!)... i could go on. As for pictures, I will simply paste a link for anyone interested to see our animals.

http://www.kucks.org/pets.html

ok Lima Bean is taking over the my dog, Lady's bed. Lady is not adjusting well to Lima Bea, she is not the only baby in the house now and she is upset that she has to share me. She moops around a little. And sulks when Lima Bean is with me on the couch. So Lady jumps on the couch and then Lima Bean is on one side of me, Lady on the other, ugh, its crazy. I'm still not adjusting well myself. A cat is a lot to get used to.

Sorry that the pics are kinda dark, if I use the flash I get the psycho evil kitty look.

Wendy:
Sorry that the pics are kinda dark, if I use the flash I get the psycho evil kitty look.

Yes, cats can be quite a handful at times. Some days I wanna just throttle mine (like today, I almost packed one in a box that is going into storage)

I cleaned your foto's up a bit where they are a bit easier to see Lima Bean.

Jeff

At least Lima Bean LOOKS cute (nice job brightening the photos, diver doh) If it's any consolation, I just had a horrible experience with my sister's cat. It's all black, and doesn't even have a friendly appearance. It's personality is equally unfriendly. (Go figure, since my sister isn't the warmest person, either.) Remember what they say about pets choosing their owners...
Knowing that we've had our own, Ivory, for many years, I'm not exactly "unfamiliar" with most cat behaviors, but... My sister decided to go on vacation, and asked me to check in on hers. It climbs on everything, from the kitchen table to counters, etc. and it doesn't stop there. When I bent down to put more food in its dish, the darn thing POUNCED on me! It's got all of its claws, and they went right through my shirt. I stood up, and it jumped off, only to repeat the pouncing on my shoulders when I went to clean its litter box. If that was my first experience with a cat, I would NEVER want to own one, either, but I know, like people, they come in a wide variety of "shapes, colors, sizes, and dispositions." Thankfully, Lima Bean seems loving, and don't forget, she's really still a kitten, so she should "settle down" as she ages. Lady seems like a nice dog, too, so keep your spirits up....everyone will eventually adjust....

My sister had a jet black persian aptly named Satan. Beautiful cat but a butt ugly disposition. You could pick up that cat for about 4.2 seconds and then he would be biting and clawing. He did that one time to me, and the cat went flying. Normal reaction to an attack, I thought. "Poor baby" directed at the cat was my sister's response. Hmph.

Cat never did that to me again though! :D In fact her husband resented the fact that I could pick up Satan at any time and hold him for a long time without any grumblings from the cat. He even appeared to enjoy it. :D Sometimes they just have to know WHO is in charge.

Wendy:
She moops around a little. And sulks when Lima Bean is with me on the couch.

I think maybe extra walks for Lady could be just what the vet ordered :wink: She would know it was her time to be alone with you and have 100% attention.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom