Packing for Diving Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Debbie and I check all of our gear EXCEPT that I carry one prescription mask. Most of our destinations have facility to use rental gear ( as do most liveaboards) if gear is delayed a day. In all of our dedicated dive trips ( of which there have been over 30) we lost only 1 day of diving. But a prescription mask would have allowed even that one day. I know many people do not check their computer or reg, but we do. And the scuba gear is two large travel bags. We take lots of spare parts, repair parts, tools, and an extensive first aid kit, as much of our diving is off on our own. We take a bit more than most people do. Just throwing that out as part of the conversation.
DivemasterDe3nnis

Everything that is essential goes in the carry-on (or too expensive to loose) So the prescription maks and camera goe in the carry-on. Everything else is checked in but the rule is to stay whit in the allowed weight by the airline. So if it gets too heavy more stuff goes in to the carry-on. In 20 plus diving trips only once my luggage arrived a day late, by which time we were out at sea on a live-aboard and had to spend some hours getting rental stuff together at this remote area whit few shops, not used to tall Europeans...
Btw use a pack-list (google) as it will happen that you forget something sometime...
5 Packing Tips for Scuba Diving Vacations | Scuba Diving

And if you bring a camera be sure that the e-mail and phone nr where they can reach you if the thing gets lost are on the first photo.

I've only done domestic flights (Southwest!! "They don't hate your bags"), but my practice has been regs/gauges as carry-on, then whomp all my other and lighter gear (fins, wetsuit, BC) into a big suitcase with all your clothes and nothing else heavy, so you make the weight limit. then shoes, athletic gear, heavier stuff in a smaller second suitcase/bag where you also will make the weight limit. Rent weights when you get there.

I trust them not to lose my luggage, they haven't so far.

Put all gear(for 2) into 1 HARD suitcase(44 lbs)---never have insured it & been OK in over 70 overseas trips.....

EDIT-do carry our regulators & dive computers with us in our carry-ons.......Everything else in the 'dive' suitcase.....

Everything sans drysuit, undersuit, fins, and knife goes into my hand luggage/carry-on. Drysuit, undersuit, fins, and knife go into my checked luggage, mainly because you can't fly with a knife and drysuit/undersuit/fins are too big for my hand luggage. When I went to Croatia a few weeks ago for Rec 3, this is what went into my hand luggage: steel backplate/harness, twinset wing, twinset regs (2x first stages, 2x second stages, spg, inflator hose), stage regs, suit inflate reg, 2x masks, 2xdsmbs, liquivision xen, wetnotes, compass, hood, gloves, 2 back-up torches, 12w light monkey canister light and charger plus the usual stuff you shove in hand luggage.

I've done one flight with the stuff. Brought everything except tanks. All went into checked bag except computer, watch, and some of my weights. Security pondered if weights could be used as a weapon. Not a likely choice of weapon IMO unless you want 150 angry passengers pounding the hell out of you. They let them pss.

Over the years I've taken many flights and now almost everything is packed into bags and checked. Camera gear, can light head and computers are in carry on. We tend to take a lot of stuff (usually two bags each -- try to keep them around 38 pounds for ease of carry). The only things I've actually lost on a flight have been carry-ons that were forgotten in the rush to get off the plane!

If you fly with non US carriers most limit cabin baggage to (1) carry on 7kg (approx. 15 lbs) often no personal item. Some of them do check weight of carryon. That will limit what you carry on to the plane.

I only carry on my cameras, housings, strobes and computers (dive and Mac), (25Kg worth in a roller bag plus a backpack), everything else is checked (a further 25Kg) including my regulator.

Clothing is minimal.

The worst airport I have encountered is Amman in Jordan where I had issues over batteries - they were gong to confiscate my spare batteries for my Nikon cameras, bunch of muppets! Ended up having the Emirates station manager write a letter accepting responsibility for me taking them on board the aircraft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom