Padi Master scuba diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My name is Robert, and I own an SUV.

Hi, my name is Nolan. I own a SUV and a MSD.

If you don't want to dive with me cause of my MSD then that's your issue. If you want to belittle me cause I had a few spare $$$ after my ice diver training then that's ok with me.

If you want to come dive with me, I don't give two hoots about what card you might have. Come do a back roll off the boat. If I don't like what I see, I change for a easier dive plan or give you a thumb.

OW, AOW, DM and MSD all have run into trouble underwater. I have had a DM panic under water. So frankly who cares what plastic you use to fill your wallet.

I've noticed that the various PADI shops I patronize (including our own now) seem to be advertising MSD when they didn't used to.

There can't be any hope for me then.

I got the MSD rating before I did DM and I own 2 SUV's.............lord save me

Well I guess I am going to die

Three Land Rovers plus an MSD card that I did not pay for because it was free when I applied (in Asia)

Ok guys n gals I get what you are all saying here. different opinions.
SOOO lets say there was this diver who likes to dive with his family.He is comfortable in his own skin -that is to say he's confident and competent in his own diving.He's a Padi AOW diver BUT he wants to be able to look after a familly member should anything go pear shaped.
So He does the Padi rescue diver course. Ignoring the organisation concerned what would YOU reccomend be a follow up to rescue diver

Ok guys n gals I get what you are all saying here. different opinions.
SOOO lets say there was this diver who likes to dive with his family.He is comfortable in his own skin -that is to say he's confident and competent in his own diving.He's a Padi AOW diver BUT he wants to be able to look after a familly member should anything go pear shaped.
So He does the Padi rescue diver course. Ignoring the organisation concerned what would YOU reccomend be a follow up to rescue diver

PADI doesn't really offer a course after rescue diver that individually attempts to greatly increase the divers skills overall. His options would be to do a NAUI or SSI master diver cert or go divemaster. The individual certifications in PADI are valuable if you plan to use them, but there just isn't anything compareable. NAUI's master diver gives you the individual skills of a divemaster but PADI doesn't provide anything like that.

You could also go.for the SEI master diver course. Similar to NAUI. Amd have everyone that dives in your family do the rescue course. You don't need them to do AOW to do that. SEI requires OW cert and ten dives to do the DRAM rescue course. Making divers do any other courses before Rescue is nuts.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Well I have heaps of plastic cards and they look just rosy in my dive book, but I don't drag them out for people to see unless I am particularly asked for them. As mentioned in other posts here, the real diver is in the doing bit, not the plastic cards. That you have the cards means you have done the courses involved and AT THE TIME passed minimum standards set by the various organisations. I have my cards and am glad I got them as they mean something personal to me. Now does that make me a better diver, well because I was exposed to some good instructors and some new challenges, yes I think I am better off for some of them. I was also exposed to some very ordinary instructors as well with little challenge and that did not help me develop my dive skills then, but it did help me develop my own ethics in teaching and helping others. I am determined to do what I the best instructors do and NOT do what the slack ones did.

Now in getting to where I am now in diving, its up to me to work on maintaining my skills and exposing myself to all different styles and types of diving. Some people only dive 55m vis and 30C water, and most if not all are not "Good broad brush" divers, mainly as they have not been exposed to “normal” variations in conditions as they chose not to. I haven't been exposed to ice water and know I would suck at that. Coldest I have done is 10C in 6mm wetsuit for 3 hrs. I am not a bad diver but in the area of ice cold water and those extremes I am a novice. I have been exposed to 6” visibility, strong down and cross currents, upswells, surges, badly free flowing regs, loose tank, blown HP hose, split mouthpiece all which try your skills and ability in some way (and yes I do service my regs and look after my gear, some of these faults happened a few dives after the yearly service!!!).
I have a Master Diver card and a Dive Master card and tech cards, and the ones that have tried me the most are the DM card and the tech deep card. Mainly as your level of responsibility increases many fold. In DM you are now legally responsible for others who depend on you. I do NOT wish to have a death or accident on my conscience so I take this role seriously. Thus I have to be switched on all the time. With my tech cards, now the responsibility is on both myself and my dive buddy. If we get it wrong we could be in serious trouble or die.

I guess it depends on what you want from your diving, if you want to feel good about yourself that you have achieved more than the basic diver, MD card can do that, if you want to feel you are at a level where you wish to help others, then DM or instructor is the level for you. If you want to go deep safely then tech cards are the way to go. But remember this, it’s not the card that is your training, it’s your level of knowledge and skill in you and continual practice at it. Get the card and don't dive that way for 10 years and you could pay with your life or someone else's.

I still play at removing my mask, regs and swapping, shutting down cylinders etc off and on to keep skilled up. The fin that kicks your mask off doesn't give you 30 sec warning to prepare so when it happens if you have practiced, you can cope, if you haven't done it for 5 years maybe you won’t do so well. You need the cards to be allowed to do the dives, BUT you need the skills to actually do the dives safely. I don't care if someone thinks I am a wanker if they see my MD card, but I would care if they thought I was a wanker due to my bad diving skills. I think that's the real difference. If you want to get the card and it makes you feel good, go for it (as I did), but don't expect that everyone will bow down to you as they won't. Its more for you than anyone else. If you want better skills start now, even before you go for any cert cards, make yourself a better diver by reading up, talking about it and practice, practice practice.

Ignoring the organisation concerned what would YOU reccomend be a follow up to rescue diver

PADI doesn't really offer a course after rescue diver that individually attempts to greatly increase the divers skills overall. His options would be to do a NAUI or SSI master diver cert or go divemaster. The individual certifications in PADI are valuable if you plan to use them, but there just isn't anything compareable. NAUI's master diver gives you the individual skills of a divemaster but PADI doesn't provide anything like that.

This is a misunderstanding born from the fact that we tend to focus only on big name certifications. A diver who wants to improve skills and knowledge after getting Rescue Diver has a host of specialty courses from which to choose. Staying within PADI, you can take standard specialties like Enriched Air, Peak Performance Buoyancy, Deep Diver, Navigation, Wreck diver, Cavern diver, Dry Suit diver, Dive Propulsion Vehicle, Rebreather, etc.

There are also courses called Distinctive Specialties that are specific to local instructors and shops. For example, in my shop you can take a a specialty on Advanced Dive Planning, which is an extremely thorough course teaching teaching about site evaluation, planning decisions, gas management, equipment choices, and much more. You can take a course that blends technical diving and recreational diving, teaching you advanced buoyancy and trim as well as a variety of more advanced finning techniques.

You can take introductory technical diving classes from a variety of agencies.

In short, you can take continual classes for years and become an extremely complete and accomplished diver by choosing the direction you want to take without getting either the Master Scuba Diver or Divemaster rating.

In short, you can take continual classes for years and become an extremely complete and accomplished diver by choosing the direction you want to take without getting either the Master Scuba Diver or Divemaster rating.

You could do the same by just, well, diving. No classes required. Considering the burn out rate of new divers.... just by actually diving on a regular basis year after year will put you in the top percentiles.

You could do the same by just, well, diving. No classes required. Considering the burn out rate of new divers.... just by actually diving on a regular basis year after year will put you in the top percentiles.

You bet. You can do hundreds of dives at the same kind of resort while overweighted and out of trim until you are really, really good at diving overweighted and out of trim. You can go into more and more complex wrecks, caverns, and caves without being shown how to do it safely until you find the one you can't get out of. There are all sorts of things you can do without any training at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom