PADI Nitrox Course Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can a diver take your 30 second course and get certified for less than $50, because that's all the PADI or SSI courses are actully worth.

OP -- what is it you think you should know that you weren't taught?

In my PADI EAN class, I teach a "30 second Nitrox class" which, in my opinion, teaches a student what they need to know to use Nitrox.

a. Always analyze your own tank.

b. Only use 32%.

c. Stay above 100 feet.

d. Breathe.

And I can "teach" that in about 30 seconds. OK, what else does a recreational diver need to know?

But, back to your critique -- How does "improper filling" of a tank increase the risk of DCS? Perhaps you are overthinking the question?

I (unfortunately) teach the "computer only" PADI class -- but I also give my students the formulas to calculate MOD and EAD and have them work the problems. I have no idea why others won't/don't do this.

No, the 30 second class, because so much information is packed so tightly together, costs three times as much as the normal class.

I booked on a local SSI NITROX course run by my LDS before reading this thread. Mind you, I guess the only way to get Nitrox fills is to get the card. And Nitrox diving is really popular here.

But seriously. $400 for a theory book that took 5 mins to read and comprehend, a plastic dive table and 2 Nitrox dives is not exactly good value.

$400 seems steep. My $180 broke down approximately like this:

$105 - for the PADI video, access to the (very faulty) on-line simulator (waste of money)
$60 - to the instructor (very good value). He was excellent, course would have been total waste of time without his experience and expertise.
$15 - to dive shop-owner for facilities (again, good value).

I booked on a local SSI NITROX course run by my LDS before reading this thread. Mind you, I guess the only way to get Nitrox fills is to get the card. And Nitrox diving is really popular here.

But seriously. $400 for a theory book that took 5 mins to read and comprehend, a plastic dive table and 2 Nitrox dives is not exactly good value.

Sorry for digging out this old thread.. I recently took the EANx course as well. And I was really surprised that the material has changed so much since 06 when a friend shared with me his materials for knowledge..

I was pretty disappointed that the dive tables were no longer included as well, although the instructor was really good and actually taught me the formulas to calculate EAD and all ..
The only thing lacking was the oxygen exposure tracking on the DSAT table (which my instructor taught me to use as well).. any idea where I can get the DSAT EAD/O2 exposure table?

Will I use Nitrox in future? Still not convinced benefits outweigh risks.

Your using a recactional nitrox mix and as long as you use with in the proper limit and you are not filling the cylinders so it not as bad as the manual make it seem.

OP -- what is it you think you should know that you weren't taught?

In my PADI EAN class, I teach a "30 second Nitrox class" which, in my opinion, teaches a student what they need to know to use Nitrox.

a. Always analyze your own tank.

b. Only use 32%.

c. Stay above 100 feet.

d. Breathe.

And I can "teach" that in about 30 seconds. OK, what else does a recreational diver need to know?

But, back to your critique -- How does "improper filling" of a tank increase the risk of DCS? Perhaps you are overthinking the question?

I (unfortunately) teach the "computer only" PADI class -- but I also give my students the formulas to calculate MOD and EAD and have them work the problems. I have no idea why others won't/don't do this.

Peter you need to add 36% to you 30 second course and get rid of (Only use 32%)

Sorry for digging out this old thread.. I recently took the EANx course as well. And I was really surprised that the material has changed so much since 06 when a friend shared with me his materials for knowledge..

I was pretty disappointed that the dive tables were no longer included as well, although the instructor was really good and actually taught me the formulas to calculate EAD and all ..
The only thing lacking was the oxygen exposure tracking on the DSAT table (which my instructor taught me to use as well).. any idea where I can get the DSAT EAD/O2 exposure table?

You can pick up that table from Diver Supply

Padi Equivalent Air Depth-Oxygen Exposure Table 60 @ Divers-Supply.com

I plan to do the nitrox course during a liveaboard in January. Thus, I decided to study the entire NOAA manual.

I hope I won't need a long course, just a good instructor able to answer the questions I may have after taking responsability over my own safety.

Aren't we in this forum partly for that very reason?

There is a choice to teach either the tables or computer.

All my EANx students have learnt the tables, regardless of whether or not they used the tables for their OW course (eRDPml used instead). If they haven't seen tables before, the Air RDP is covered first, followed by the EANx tables. They do get the EAD/O2 Exposure table too. They all learn the formulas for MOD & EAD, and have no problems in their calculations. This is done alongside the use of computers for EANx.

The options are there, just some instructors don't want to be a bit more inclusive in courses.

Tables work well assuming a flat profile. I tend to dive a lot of places with multi-level profiles. Tables are rather worthless unless you like one dimensional dives. A one dimensional table dive turns an hour long multi-level profile dive into a 15 minute dive. I back my dive computer up with a second dive computer.

Back
Top Bottom