padi self reliant diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"The purpose of the Self-Reliant Diver specialty course is to recognize and accept the role of the buddy system and its contributions to diver safety while identifying and developing self-reliance and independence while diving".

A bunch of mealy-mouth gobbel-di-gook written by some PADI official who can't accept the usefulness of solo but cant ignore the money....

My subjective impression (disclaimer - I'm cynical and prone to be snarky) is that it almost seems like PADI is saying 'Even though you are trained according to our standards and get a cert. from us to do this, it's not entirely clear you're safe to do what we certified you to do.'

I know that's not something they actually say, and maybe it's a gross misrepresentation on my part in which case I apologize in advance, but in light of other threads bashing the basic OW course as insufficient (in the judgment of some vocal forum members), the irony here gets to me.

No offense intended to anyone, and maybe it's just me that gets that sense of things.

Richard.

My subjective impression (disclaimer - I'm cynical and prone to be snarky) is that it almost seems like PADI is saying 'Even though you are trained according to our standards and get a cert. from us to do this, it's not entirely clear you're safe to do what we certified you to do.'

I don't read it like that. PADI is fence-sitting on this issue.

On the one hand, they are firmly and completely committed to the buddy system and have no intention of backing off of that position.

On the other hand, they simply can't ignore the reality, which is that solo diving *is* a form of diving that some recreational divers enjoy. Some may also say that they followed the money, and I'm sure if there were no money at all to be made that it would be high on their agenda, but I sincerely think that they are not following the money as much as following the trend.

The fence-sitting clouds communication over it but it doesn't necessarily undermine the content of the course itself. .

R..

To my knowledge, this is PADI's official stand, and that I know of, Mr Richardson (who I have a tremendous respect for) has never recanted this statement.

Solo Diving: PADI Worldwide's Position
By:
Drew Richardson Senior Vice-President, Training, Education, Environment and Memberships, PADI Worldwide

Why PADI advocates the use of the buddy system
The buddy system in use today for scuba diving came from a decades old water safety concept found in swimming and lifeguard training. It was adopted because it applied to diving and because it made good safety sense. Early support of buddy diving safety procedures was referenced by Jacques Cousteau and the crew of the Calypso in the book "The Silent World". The goals of training divers include developing the skills to take responsibility for themselves and to be self-reliant. The buddy system provides divers in training with a safety redundancy to this skill base that diving alone simply cannot provide. PADI has, and will continue to, train divers using the buddy system based on its proven benefit to diving, divers and diving safety.
Practicality & Convenience
The buddy system has provided tangible contributions to millions of dives. Buddies provide an extra set of eyes and hands for each other. Providing assistance in putting on equipment, adjusting straps, assisting with weights and tanks, entering the water, helping to load and unload gear are but a few practical arguments that support the buddy system.
Safety:
The roots of the buddy system arise from diving and water safety. Early days of diver training heralded the buddy system as an important safety procedure because only through the buddy system could a diver reasonably expect to escape from entanglement, entrapment, out of air situations, disorientation, a head injury, chest pains, cramping and dozens more. Diver training and diving equipment have improved, yet these same values apply today. Like all safety-based systems, the buddy system is not perfect. However, the simple fact is that without a buddy in the water, the distressed diver has little or no chance of assistance.
The buddy system is the most basic form of scuba diving fail-safe. Buddies have helped each other in subtle and profound ways for decades. Often the smallest buddy intervention averts a string of error chains occurred and negative outcomes or tragedy. The safety record of scuba diving has improved dramatically over the past few decades, while the number of certified divers has increased. During this time, buddy system training techniques have been an integral component of this training. While there is no way to quantify the accidents that were prevented or did not happen because of one buddy looking after another, empirical outcomes support the relevancy and integrity of this training.
Enjoyment:
Diving is a social activity, so the buddy system is more than a safety rule. Diving with someone you know and are comfortable with adds to the fun. Most divers actually enjoy companionship in and out of the water. It is fun to share exciting adventures and experiences with others. Fundamentally, the buddy system is about dive companionship, something that won't appeal to misanthropic personality types.
Can Solo Diving be done responsibly?
Yes, but let's be clear about what responsible solo diving is and what it is not. It requires experienced scuba divers willing to make the necessary commitment to train and equip themselves to accept the added risks involved. That is to say, a person with the required attitude and aptitude to pursue responsible solo diving. This is true in other adventure sport activities such as solo rock climbing.
It is important to clarify what responsible solo scuba diving is. PADI views it as a form of technical diving and not for everybody. To responsibly engage in solo scuba diving, a diver must first be highly experienced, have a hundred or so buddy accompanied scuba dives, be absolutely self-reliant and apply the specialized procedures and equipment needed to engage in the activity. This includes, but is not limited to redundant air sources, specialized equipment configurations, specific dive planning, and management of solo diving problems and emergencies. When solo diving is performed within this description, we see a place for it. Responsible solo diving is not diving alone without the mental discipline, attitude or equipment. That said, no amount of redundant equipment can effectively back up a diver's brain better than another individual.
What concerns does PADI have with regard to solo diving
When a problem occurs on a solo dive, or when the diver is alone in the water, there is little or no chance of assistance for the distressed diver. This decreases the chances of a diver surviving the problem or having a favorable outcome. Diving alone reduces the chance of survival regardless of the problem. Since 1989, there were at least 538 fatalities where it was clear divers were either intentionally diving solo, or became separated from a buddy and were de facto alone.
PADI is concerned by certain proponents of solo diving within the dive industry, including a major diving publication, who attempt to promote solo diving by bashing both PADI and the buddy system with headlines touting " Why the Buddy System is dangerous". This is both irresponsible and reckless. To suggest that the buddy system fosters a false sense of security and increases the likelihood of panic is outrageous and contrary to the empirical evidence. To claim that divers shouldn't use the buddy system for fear of being sued by a diving companion is ridiculous. The unfortunate reality in the litigious U.S. is that folks have sued one another for nearly anything. It is no surprise that there have been a handful of cases where one buddy has brought suit against another. Outside of the U.S., this argument doesn't hold up and smacks of the fear mongering to sell magazines. Besides, how long will it be before a solo death results in a suit against a magazine or other forum endorsing solo diving, a practice that is contrary to community practice. There is nothing to prevent such lawsuits from arising.
PADI's position is clear; solo diving proponents should advocate responsible solo diving on its own unique merits, requisite training, and equipment needs and not through sensationalized attempts to disparage a proven safety system, that has served the majority of recreational scuba divers well.

Thanks, Wookie. Good to hear the official stance, which is pretty clear. More conservative than my own preference, but reasonable.

Richard.

There’s a newer version. Primary differences are:
- addition of the paragraph titled “Overview”,
- addition of the paragraph titled “What is self-reliant diving?”, and
- no longer calling it a form of technical diving.

Diving Without a Partner: PADI's Position

By: Dr. Drew Richardson

President and Chief Operating Officer, PADI Worldwide

President, PADI Technical Diving Division

Overview

PADI’s overall training programs and philosophy support the proven system of diving with a partner for several reasons, not the least of which are its contributions to diver safety. PADI also recognizes that experienced divers, after being trained in the skills, knowledge and safety techniques of diving in a self-reliant manner, can be prepared to dive independent of a partner. Those experienced divers, through proper training (as in the PADI Self-Reliant Diver Specialty course) learn knowledge and skills in dive planning, life support system readiness, adaptive training, equipment preparedness and diving responsibly to compensate for situations when diving alone.
Background

Why PADI advocates the use of the buddy system

The buddy system in use today for scuba diving came from a decades old water safety concept found in swimming and lifeguard training. It was adopted because it applies to diving and because it makes good safety sense. Early support of buddy diving safety procedures was referenced by Jacques Cousteau and the crew of the Calypso in the book The Silent World. The goals of training divers include developing the skills to take responsibility for themselves and to be self-reliant. The buddy system provides divers in training with a safety redundancy to this skill base that diving alone simply cannot provide. PADI has, and will continue to, train divers using the buddy system based on its proven benefit to diving, divers and diving safety.

Practicality and Convenience

The buddy system has provided tangible contributions to millions of dives. Buddies provide an extra set of eyes and hands for each other. Providing assistance in putting on equipment, adjusting straps, assisting with weights and tanks, entering the water, helping to load and unload gear are but a few practical arguments that support the buddy system.

Safety

The roots of the buddy system arise from diving and water safety. Early days of diver training heralded the buddy system as an important safety procedure because only through the buddy system could a diver reasonably expect to escape from entanglement, entrapment, out of air situations, disorientation, a head injury, chest pains, cramping and dozens more. Diver training and diving equipment have improved, yet these same values apply today. Like all safety-based systems, the buddy system is not perfect. However, the simple fact is that without a buddy in the water, the distressed diver has little or no chance of assistance. The buddy system is the most basic form of scuba diving fail-safe. Buddies have helped each other in subtle and profound ways for decades. Often the smallest buddy intervention averts a string of error chains occurred and negative outcomes or tragedy. The safety record of scuba diving has improved dramatically over the past few decades, while the number of certified divers has increased. During this time, buddy system training techniques have been an integral component of this training. While there is no way to quantify the accidents that were prevented or did not happen because of one buddy looking after another, empirical outcomes support the relevancy and integrity of this training.

Enjoyment

Diving is a social activity, so the buddy system is more than a safety rule. Diving with someone you know and are comfortable with adds to the fun. Most divers actually enjoy companionship in and out of the water. It is fun to share exciting adventures and experiences with others. Fundamentally, the buddy system is about dive companionship, something that won't appeal to misanthropic personality types.

What is self-reliant diving?

Self-reliant diving is when you plan your dives so you can respond to emergencies independently, whether you are diving with a partner, team, or alone. If diving with a partner or in a team, your team mates may provide you with additional resources but self-reliant diving means that you do not rely on your team mate or buddy to be your primary emergency response. In self-reliant diving you have the skills and knowledge to focus on and respond to diving emergencies without assistance. Self-reliant divers are comfortable with self-rescue skills so that in an emergency, the diver is equipped and prepared to react independently.

That said, the self-reliant diver also identifies and is aware of other divers in the water who may be able to help should a need arise. This should be part of an ongoing awareness—similar to building a picture of the other cars around you when you are driving. The self-reliant diver should understand the roles these divers can play such as a source of gas or navigation assistance. Sometimes just knowing you are close enough to other divers to get their help allows you to stay calm enough to help yourself. Self-reliant divers may position themselves near the group/someone in the group to increase the chances of help being available.

Can diving without a partner be done responsibly?

Yes, but let's be clear about what responsible diving without a partner is and what it is not. It requires experienced scuba divers willing to make the necessary commitment to train and equip themselves to accept the added risks involved. That is to say, it requires someone with the attitude and aptitude to do it responsibly. This is true in other adventure sport activities such as rock climbing.

To dive without a partner requires diligence, experience (such as 100+ buddy-accompanied dives), and the ability to plan for and apply the specialized procedures and equipment needed to engage in the activity. When divers choose to dive alone within this description, PADI sees a place for it. PADI’s Self-Reliant Diver course provides training for experienced divers in the use of redundant equipment and specialized equipment configurations as well as specific dive planning, and management of diving problems and emergencies that can occur when diving alone.

Responsible self-reliant diving is diving alone with the correct mental discipline, attitude and equipment. That said, no amount of redundant equipment can effectively back up a diver's brain better than another person.

What concerns does PADI have with regard to solo diving proponents who denigrate the buddy system?

When a problem occurs on an independent dive, or when the diver is alone in the water, there is little or no chance of assistance for the distressed diver. This decreases the chances of a diver surviving the problem or having a favorable outcome. Diving alone reduces the chance of survival regardless of the problem. Since 1989, there were at least 538 fatalities where it was clear divers were either intentionally diving independent, or became separated from a buddy and were de facto alone.

PADI is concerned by certain proponents of independent diving within the dive industry who attempt to promote independent diving by deriding the buddy system with headlines touting "Why the Buddy System is Dangerous." This is both irresponsible and reckless. To suggest that the buddy system fosters a false sense of security and increases the likelihood of panic is contrary to the empirical evidence. To claim that divers shouldn't use the buddy system for fear of being sued by a diving companion is ridiculous. The unfortunate reality in the litigious U.S. is that people have sued one another for nearly anything. It is no surprise that there have been a handful of cases where one buddy has brought suit against another. Outside of the U.S., this argument doesn't hold up and smacks of fear mongering.

Conclusion

PADI's position is clear; independent diving proponents should advocate responsible independent diving on its own unique merits, requisite training, and equipment needs and not through sensationalized attempts to disparage a proven safety system that has served the majority of recreational scuba divers well.

Yup, lots of money being made by PADI.

What does PADI get out of it? The one-time fee an Instructor pays to PADI to teach the distinctive specialty...it's less than $100 CDN. PIC card...based on our volume, we pay about $20 CDN for a PIC. That's what PADI gets.

There is no manual for the student to buy. Heck, there is not even a charge to the Instructor for their Self-Reliant Diver Instructor Manual, it's a download.

Yup, it must have been done as a money grab.

Last edited:
There's a different kind of money grab potential here. All my cert.'s are PADI, except…my solo cert. from SDI. Yes, I went outside the PADI system to go get that solo cert., which bears the solo name on the card.

Anytime PADI doesn't offer a cert. that might prove fairly popular, people who've historically stayed with what they know (PADI) might go elsewhere. And consider other options more afterward.

Richard.

...//... people who've historically stayed with what they know (PADI) might go elsewhere. ...//...

I've never understood this sort of brand loyalty.

I have a PADI cert but I don't belong to PADI, PADI does not consider me as one of their own, and I don't even have an identifying diver number in the PADI organization. I just paid a PADI instructor to teach me something. IANTD at least refers to me by a diver number...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom