PADI TecRec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who does have the most complete Extended Range/Tech Course ?

From what I have read so far the TecRec standards for passing the course are far above that of TDI .

I do agree that most if not all Basic Tech courses do leave out some information in some areas of Gas theory.

The Pirate once bubbled...

Yes everything. Master Instructor, IDC staff instructor. I don't want anything to do with PADI at all. The Tec Rec course put it over the top for me. Its the most insane bunch of crap I've ever seen. As far as I'm concerned, its worse than IANTD or TDI.

For centuries it was heresy to claim that the world was anything other than flat. Now, you wouldn’t hold that against the church would you?

Subsequent to that article no new information has been learned with respect to making deep air safer

A few thousand ‘deep air’ courses run by other agencies is pretty good evidence? If you could show some evidence that 50M dives on air are more dangerous than on mix, it’d be appreciated (and I'd be surprised).

I still don't know how you can teach someone to overcome narcosis..

You can’t teach someone to overcome narcosis, but a person can get used to it. I am, at least down to 52M in Sydney. By the same token I accept that there may be better ways, however helium is just too expensive.

I still don't know how you avoid a C02 buildup.. I still don't know how you avoid a C02 buildup..

Never noticed these to be an issue at up to 60M air.

The class doesn't teach these very important basic concepts..

Perhaps, it is not part of their agenda.

What are you doing on this side of the globe ?

Diveoz is kinda quiet at the moment...

What are you doing on this side of the globe ?

Being nosey and opinionated as usual!

Who does have the most complete Extended Range/Tech Course ?

From reputation, GUE. Although their bias seem to show through and it is not much use to you at they are not represented in Oz. other than that, PADI/DSAT.

It's all much of a muchness and the instructor is more important.
In Sydney, you've got Bazza (IANTD/SSI), Tricky (ANDI) and Richard Taylor (TDI).

From what I have read so far the TecRec standards for passing the course are far above that of TDI .

Same here. Although, it's only reading and the laws of physics are the same for every agency and no agency is 100% right about everything because there too many grey areas so policy has to be made at some point.

You've read it and hopefully understood it. All you need now is someone to show you how to do it on a few dives.

I do agree that most if not all Basic Tech courses do leave out some information in some areas of Gas theory.

Debateable. They may leave out how to use helium, but that is covered in a mix course, so it is debateable whether it should be included or not. At the end of the day, the gas laws are available on the web and in books etc to sound like a yank, it's not rocket science. The hard part is the diving (and realistically at least in NSW, it's not that hard).

I agree with the fish devil after 2 chapters and once in the pool so far this course seems great although a good teacher makes all the difference be he with Padi or any other agency.

:) I will taking the Apprentice Tec Course August 28 - 31 and completing the Deep Tec Course Sept 4 -8.

I have taken about three weeks of evenings going through the material in the book doing all the Knowledge Reviews and Chapter Tests. If the water portion is anywhere close to the book I have no doubt I will come away more prepared for deep diving.

O-ring once bubbled...
Is TecRec all deep air or is there a mixed gas component?

It's all deep air but they apparently have a mix class in the works.

Drew

MHK once bubbled...
5) PADI has long maintained that isobaric counter diffusion is the reason that one should not breath helium and then switch to a high level 02 mix, so can you explain to me why if it is such a bad idea at 165' why PADI will now be teaching it at 166'???

6) Please explain to me that given that it will take 1500 minutes on nitrous oxide to worry about isobaric counter diffusion why a sport diver would even need to know anything about it??? Thanks

I am quite certain that MHK did not mean to say "NITROUS OXIDE" on line two of his paragraph (6)!!!

We do, however, need to sort out this "isobaric counterdiffusion", or in the words of Dr. B.R. Wienke, "isobaric counter-transport" process! The Fouth Edition of "Diving and Subaquatic Medicine" by Edmonds, Lowry Pennefather, and Walker, from Best Publishing, speaks of both "Superficial" and "Deep Tissue" Isobaric Counter-diffusion on page 120 of chapter 10.

(1)"This (Superficial) could occur when the diver breathes air (heavier) while surrounded by a helium/oxygen mixture (light)." (Annotations mine.---Ed.) It then goes on to describe the mechanism of heavier=slower out, while lighter=faster in through the skin, leading to skin bends. Also the same mechanism working from the inner ear fluid, through the round window to the middle ear can cause vestibular DCS.

(2)"After prolonged exposure to a nitrogen/oxygen mixture (heavier), breathing helium/oxygen (light) results in more rapid entry of helium than loss of nitrogen from certain tissue sites. The sum of inert gas partial pressures therefore increases to above ambient, and supersaturation will exist." (Deep Tissue)

Thus, we can see that the majority of problems with Isobaric Counter-transport occur with the transition order of "heavy to light"! Most, if not all, of the problems associated with this phenomenon can be avoided if you go in the order of "light to heavy"! This is in fact explained more fully in "Technical Diving in Depth" by Dr. B.R. Wienke, also from Best Publishing. :book2:

BigJetDriver69 once bubbled...

I am quite certain that MHK did not mean to say "NITROUS OXIDE" on line two of his paragraph (6)!!!

It's a direct reference to the original paper, written by someone obscure when they demonstrated that isobaric counterdiffusion could occur, by making cute fluffy white bunnies breathe a nitrous oxide/O2 mixture whilst surrounding them in a helium based atmosphere - eventually, after around 1500 minutes, they got skin bends in their ears.

MHK once bubbled...

It seems to me that if an agency wants to retain any credibility then it is incumbent to explain how they can do a complete reversal of a core belief...

Since when does PADI have credibility?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom