PADI vs SDI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You all so quickly change what I said. I said they use calculators instead of slide rules. I never said they don't do math long hand first. Sheesh...

:shakehead:But problem is that kids tend to think that they don't need to know the numbers in their heads cause its going to show on the screen!:(

The Original subject of this thread was PADI vs. SDI

To the point:

Do the agency standards require the teaching of dive tables?

PADI - No, The instructor has the option of either teaching the use of PADI tables (RDP) or the use of a special purpose hand calculator (eRDP) for dive planning.

SDI - No, The instructor must teach the use of a dive computer for dive planning, execution and post-dive record keeping (logging).

May the instructor teach dive tables?

PADI - Yes. PADI tables are in the student manual.

SDI - Yes. US Navy tables are in the student manual.

May the instructor require the student to demonstrate the ability to use dive tables as a condition of certification?

PADI - Yes
SDI - Yes

Does the agency require the teaching of the use of dive computers?

PADI - No
SDI - Yes

May the instructor teach the use of dive computers?

PADI - Yes, but there is no outline for such teaching in the student manual or in the instructor manual.
SDI - Yes, it is part of the course outline.

May the instructor require the student to demonstrate proficiency in the use of a dive computer as part of the requirements for certification?

PADI - No.
SDI - Yes, in fact, it is a standard.

The eRDP is, for all intensive purposes, the RDP. It is an electronic version that still requires the diver to determine max depth and duration of the dive, surface interval, the depth of their next dive and the planned duration, etc. It does not display all of the information at once, like the tables do, and you don't have to flip it over, but the process of planning and thinking about what you are about to do remains intact, unlike the use of a computer in which the diver is completely passive.

The biggest attraction of the SDI "Don't learn the tables" gimmick is not to the consumer to learn with SDI, but rather to the dive shop to sell SDI courses because SDI courses sell computers, and that is how dive shops make money. PADI also is designed to sell gear for the shop, but it would seem that this is another case of SDI stooping just a little bit lower.

As far as teaching dive computers is concerned, I can't imagine what kind of an outline would be required for such a class. I've always just read the directions that came with my computers. Then again, I had been taught and was proficient with the tables so they made alot of sense.

May the instructor require the student to demonstrate proficiency in the use of a dive computer as part of the requirements for certification?
PADI - No.
SDI - Yes, in fact, it is a standard.

Ok, what is "proficiency"? In dive mode all computers tell you how deep, how long till ndl, and if you are ascending too fast. You need only to look at it, so I don't know what outline you would need to teach that? How can you test it?
All other functions vary so much between computer models that you could burn an entire class showing your students how to plan a dive or read the log of their individual model.

I am not saying it is bad to show students a computer, but I do not know what "teaching" is in this case, and why it seems to be at the exclusion in many cases to teaching tables?

RE the slide rule vs calculator point...kids today still learn how to use tables to do math, before learning an advanced piece of equipment. Yes calculators have replaced slide rules, but neither replaced tables.

What exactly do tables teach that computers do not? Awareness. To dive tables you have to pay attention to your depth and time. To dive a computer you need only glance at it once in a while or, even lazier, wait till it beeps and go up.

Does SDI require students always carry 2 dive computers as part of standards ?
Not much point in manual gauges if they dont have tables to backup so id assume they arent sending people into the water utterly reliant on one electronic form of instrumentation.

Its funny, the DIVE tables don't teach the actual theory either. The fact of the matter is the dive tables too are just a guess as well. Nothing can be factual as one of the biggest VARIABLES in the tables are HUMANS...since we all do things differently, we can't even give a formula to the tables. Therefore the table do just what a computer does.

I am done this debate...and I agree that the eRDP is nothing more than an RDP with automatic math.

SDI is currently the cutting edge.

Whereas PADI is the bare bones minimum.

Note that I am associated with neither, but even so, this would be an easy choice for me.

My personal recommendation would be NAUI, however since their program is too hard for many people, then SDI is a good choice as well, since SDI is much simpler than NAUI.

:confused::no:mooner::dork2::lotsalove::popcorn::rofl3::shakehead:

Back
Top Bottom