Passport Renewal time - TODAY's DATE - FYI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Different venues find different ways to steal money instead of being honest and admitting they need to raise taxes.

Different venues find different ways to steal money instead of being honest and admitting they need to raise taxes.

In California they'll make a big deal about reducing car registrations fees--and then raise another associated fee that you have to pay to get your car registered so you end up paying more! Fortunately for them enough people in California are dumb enough to go along with it.

The last time we renewed, about a year ago, it took about 2 weeks, or roughly 10 business days.

Those with Global Entry, Viajero Confiable, Mexican residency, etc. will also need to update the pertinent agencies with the new passport number before traveling.

if you live near a passport office and can prove that you are traveling within 2 weeks' time, you can get it done in person same day or overnight for a premium fee.

Within 24 hours would only be for some verifiable "life-or-death" emergency, and only at certain agencies. If you have verifiable "urgent international travel plans" you can get a passport within 2 weeks, but not within 24 hours.

"Life-or-death" or "urgent international travel" expedited services require an in-person appointment and documentation. Unless you're in a serious bind, it's not worth it or necessary.

At a very few passport offices you can apply for expedited handling without needing to show that you're traveling within 2 weeks. We did this when my son's passport was going to expire uncomfortably close to the end of a trip about a month in the future. This involved driving to another state and spending the night near the office since you have to be there in the morning for the appointment. Ultimately, it cost several hundreds in hotel and expediting fees, and probably only saved 2-3 days in getting the new passport.

the card is only good for land crossings (i.e.: driving to/from Canada & Mexico, which I don't do), it gives me a federal photo I.D. in my wallet.

Land or sea. Just not air.

It also gives you a valid, waterproof passport that you can keep in your wallet, since officially you're required to have your passport on your person in most countries (including Mexico) unless you're a citizen. I've literally never been asked to show one, and anecdotal evidence is strong that Mexican officials accept photocopies or a picture on your phone, but I like having a durable card that works even if my phone dies.

BTW, in Mexico officially only INE officials are allowed to ask for proof of status. I don't think I'd get in an argument with a state or local cop about this, but if they wanted to make anything of your not having a passport with you they'd have to call an INE officer, and that's just going to increase their paperwork and workday so is highly unlikely to happen.

Wife doesn't have a passport card as yet, since hers was renewed farther back.

You can get a passport card at any time, not just when you get or renew a passport book.

Hey Johnoly, long time no see. Your passport turnaround beat mine by a day and I live a lot closer to Dallas.

Within 24 hours would only be for some verifiable "life-or-death" emergency, and only at certain agencies. If you have verifiable "urgent international travel plans" you can get a passport within 2 weeks, but not within 24 hours.

"Life-or-death" or "urgent international travel" expedited services require an in-person appointment and documentation. Unless you're in a serious bind, it's not worth it or necessary.

At a very few passport offices you can apply for expedited handling without needing to show that you're traveling within 2 weeks. We did this when my son's passport was going to expire uncomfortably close to the end of a trip about a month in the future. This involved driving to another state and spending the night near the office since you have to be there in the morning for the appointment. Ultimately, it cost several hundreds in hotel and expediting fees, and probably only saved 2-3 days in getting the new passport.

In San Francisco, I received mine within 24 hours. I dropped off in the afternoon and they said to come pick it up in the morning. There was no life and death emergency and it was not an urgent international travel plan. I only had proof that I was taking a vacation in 2 weeks and needed a passport with a new name on it. Thankfully, I did not need to drive to another state, only 45 minutes away.

Hey Johnoly, long time no see. .
Hey Jeepster,,Yep I still dive almost every week bug hunting in Jupiter / West Palm.

A few years ago, I booked a last-minute vacation on impulse before discovering that my passport was expired. I had to drive to Seattle and spend the night. I splurged and treated it as a mini/pre-vacation. So the extra fee was the least of the expense. I was in line at the passport office by 0900. (I seem to recall that I had to make an "appointment" on-line but that was just their way of keeping the line from getting too long.) IIRC, I could have stayed another night and got it the next day, but they sent it by FedEx and I received it at home two or three days later.

An old thread but thought I would throw out an update.
If you are planning a trip remember the 180 day rule. Mexico immigration may not be strict about it but the airline counter / gate personnel are tasked with checking it.

Tourism and Business conferences in the USA are also taking a big hit due to visa wait times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom