Peeing in the suit has been discussed forever - now the old diver perspective

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve been peeing in my suit from day one. An old timer that taught me to abalone dive always told me, “That’s the first thing you do!”, so I just did it without question. I learned to drink a lot of water to dilute the urine. I also use a skin-in wetsuit which needs to be lubed up with a hair conditioner/water solution which helps counter any pee smell. Skin-in wetsuits are better than lined suits for not stinking (peeing or not), they dry quick and are non absorbent.
The problem with skin-in freediving suits is they have no zippers and generally fit very well. They have attached hoods therefore they have very little water exchange and that’s why they are so warm. The pee only has a few places to escape (if it does at all). That would be either out the legs, maybe the arms, probably not in between the john and jacket, but possibly around the face seal.

I hop back in the water after I ditch my gear... flush out the suit. I have also wondered about adding a "convenience zipper", like some drysuits have, except you could open it while you're diving... discretely of course.

Mostly I just enjoy it! I "pump" water down my neck while I'm peeing so that flushes stuff out pretty well too.
Not in winter, I presume.

1) the idea of a few squirts of antibacterial soap ( not that bacteria are the
problem) may be helpful.......and helps getting the suit on! Wonder
If it can be mixed with small amount of other non skin irritant odor killers.
2) a small crotch vertical or horizontal zipper would be great but not sure who to
Trust to install and where to find similar zipper to heavy duty one on the
Suit although must likely they can be found)
The idea would be to flush during urinating and not taking out any body
parts. ( Damselfish may be around)
3) Front zipper that you could open from above and below( like the Sharkskin)
would be ideal . Would also make the heavier suits easier to put on and off.
Is there a practical reason why all suits are back zips?

YKZ zippers on the net

Someone mentioned Rhezum procedure.......may want to consider Uro lift. Although Kegel helps with urgency and leaking, your bladder volume does not increase..you may be able to hold it a little longer

Henderson makes a 3mm front zip full suit but have not found any 5mm. Would be so easy to unzip and flush as you approach the dive platform or just before getting on the boat

Is there a practical reason why all suits are back zips?

Yes, the problem is people bending forward. Zippers hold up better under tension than when bent. Also, the loss of stretch caused by the zipper is less noticeable on the upper back. That stiffness on the front causes bunching of material which causes "pumping".

Akimbo..thanks....makes sense

All suits are not back zip.
Mares has a lot of front zip models for dive centers, their rover one comes to mind. Ours in the dive centre are 4 years old and look great considering they are rental suits. I also use it and get a new one every season, but i do 300-400 dives in them first so they should do well for you.

Sometimes when i'm working i wear my wetsuit from 8 am to 8 pm, best way to get rid of the smell is to take it off in the water and rinse it in there first, then again in the communal bucket, it helps a lot..

There is also a thing called a pisset, it's easy to install on a wetsuit and is very usefull.

Thanks Vicko. Will look at the Mares suits.
I can't find pisset on a google search. Any other name?

Found it. Pissette. Wow! Weird looking contraption. Could get caught on the ladder

That is also why you want to put the relief zipper in horizontally. I paid 50$ for mine because I was already at Terrapin for alterations to my wife's Waterproof 5mil. Terrapin Wetsuits

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom