People who bought a BP/W before trying one, were you happy with your decision?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try this:
Organize your reg hoses (depends on how you route, but think about where they will end up)
Inflate your wing just enough to float your rig, don't fill 'till the opv vents
Open the waist buckle, and drop the crotch strap
Reach back and grab the tank valve / first stage
Duck your head and shoulders and pull the entire rig over your head. You don't lift it, you kinda slide under it.
Done properly the rig ends up plate side up, tank valve towards the diver right in front of you.
You can keep a reg in your mouth while doing so.
Donning is the reverse :)
Tobin

Thank you for your recommendations, @cool_hardware52 !!
! I'll certainly try to do it next time. BTW I'm using a long-hose routing setup (7feet) and a short hose on the necklace.

By "donning in reverse" you mean that I have to "dive into" the BP/W straps if I want to put it on?

Thank you for your recommendations, @cool_hardware52 !!
! I'll certainly try to do it next time. BTW I'm using a long-hose routing setup (7feet) and a short hose on the necklace.

By "donning in reverse" you mean that I have to "dive into" the BP/W straps if I want to put it on?

Picture the guy that flip their rig over their head in the parking lot to don. Same motion only you don't need to lift anything, let the water hold it up and flow under it. Sounds harder than it is. It's actually easier to don and doff a Hogarthian rig in the water than out.

Mostly it's about planning ahead so you don't trap anything important.

Tobin

This is what I was referring to. Doffing and donning a BC shouldn't need a bunch of instructions or contortions. The only protocol I suggest is that the right arm should be the first in and last out. It works the same on the deck, on the surface or under the surface.

Humm, Grabbing the first stage and sliding out under the rig never seemed like a "contortion" to me, kinda natural once you've done it once or twice.

Getting into a rental 7mm wetsuit with no lube OTOH does require contortions and the occasional well timed stern word. :)

Tobin

Humm, Grabbing the first stage and sliding out under the rig never seemed like a "contortion" to me, kinda natural once you've done it once or twice.
I've heard people complain about it on the boats all the time. It's almost like an inside joke and people say you'll get used it, but not so much with arthritis. Look at your list of instructions you posted. It's a lot to remember when I simply want to put my BC on or be able to take it off without a bunch of fuss. I like your stuff and even asked you to create a hybrid years ago but you said it would conflict with your business interests. I understand why you minimise the effort it takes to doff and don a BP&Wing: it's your living. I feel the same way when you tell me how horrible ScubaBoard is. We definitely have different perspectives.

Like I pointed out: I might be the only one who reverted away from a BP&Wing. I did it for ease and comfort. I've dove a number of BP&Wings, even yours, heck, mostly yours, but I find the hybrids fit my needs better and are far more comfortable. When it comes to doubles diving or my rebreather, they are great. When it comes to diving singles I find them less than optimal. Of course, the OP asked for those of us who have turned away from the holy of holies, so it's kind of funny that the BP&Wing crowd has shown up in force to post here and defend their choice. Some have described it as almost like a cult, and it's kind of true. But then, so is ScubaBoard and our love of diving. I would have it no other way.

Actually, the OP asked if people who bought a BP/Wing before trying one were happy with their decision. Eric Sedletsky gave me a demo version that I showed around SoCal. Merry bought one for herself and I could no longer keep up with her on surface swims. She was so thrilled to get rid of the pillow she was wearing before. When it came time to give the demo plate back to Eric I planned to buy one for myself as well, but Merry had already snuck behind my back and ordered one for me. I had been using a Halcyone plate but the Freedom Plate blew that one away.

I understand why you minimise the effort it takes to doff and don a BP&Wing: it's your living.

Still beating the same old drum I see, claiming my advise is offered solely to support sales.

It's not. I've told you as much many times, yet you persist in repeating these claims.

I don't really care if somebody dives with a BP&W, or DSS back plate and wing, I simply hope they enjoy diving, and if I can provide accurate, first hand experience that will help somebody I will do so. I routinely advise divers against buying DSS gear if I think it inappropriate for them, or if they simply don't have all the facts they need to make a sound choice. I have the luxury of doing so precisely because I'm not dependent on DSS sales for a living.

I've never been one to believe those seeking my advise had my money in their pocket. I recall walking out of a dive shop disgusted after the owner joked with me that that's how he views his customers.

I never really been dependent on sales of scuba gear for a living. It's a tough space to make a real living in. Fortunately I have other ventures and markets that have provided a comfortable living. I enjoy diving, designing and manufacturing gear and doing so has allowed me to enjoy diving to a greater extent than would have been possible otherwise. It's also allowed me to be creative.

I remain perplexed as to why you continue assign motives to me when you have been repeatedly informed you are wrong.

Tobin

claiming my advise is offered solely to support sales.
I didn't say that Tobin. I didn't even come close to that.
I remain perplexed as to why you continue assign motives to me
And I am perplexed that you say such things when I clearly haven't done that. Don't take umbrage where no insult was given. Simply disagreeing with you is not a condemnation, so please stop treating it that way. People who disagree with you still get to post and there's no need to attack them. That's the way ScubaBoard works.

Almost every Scuba Business I know of has "Fun" at its core including yours and mine. Most were hobbies first and became businesses later. There is nothing wrong or nefarious about that and any business that loses that focus is doomed to failure. But to suggest that we have no biases is laughable. You've invested a lot of time and energy into the BP&Wing system, no? More than most in my estimation and I love your gear. I always have. I just think that there are other and better options out there for single tank diving. It's not a bad solution for me: it's just not the best. If all you own is a hammer, then all the world's a nail. Screwdrivers work better for me on a number of projects, and I love my Ryobi 18V impact driver.

Again, the OP asked for why people have moved away from the BP&Wing after using it, not how superior it is. I might be the only one on topic here.

I didn't say that Tobin. I didn't even come close to that.

I understand why you minimise the effort it takes to doff and don a BP&Wing: it's your living.

One more time;

Scuba is not my living.

My CPA would tell you the same thing.

I've made that point repeatedly, yet you continue to repeat this false claim.

Given that it is not my "living" then your "understanding" of my motives is false, and will remain false regardless of how often you knowingly repeat this falsehood.

I have zero issues with you or anybody else that disagrees with me regarding the ease or effort required to don or doff *any* BC.

I do take exception to your unmerited assignment of motive.

Tobin

Again, the OP asked for why people have moved away from the BP&Wing after using it, not how superior it is. I might be the only one on topic here.
You may want to go back to the top of the thread. The OP asked if people were happy with the decision to buy a backplate, not moved away from them.

You may want to go back to the top of the thread. The OP asked if people were happy with the decision to buy a backplate, not moved away from them.
Great point... Not sure how I made the leap I did there. Thanks for pointing it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom