Physics experiments underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fill a a pop bottle with air at depth, screw on the top. Others can observe it as it surfaces. Did the cap blow off?

Be careful with this one, the cap of a soda bottle shouldn't blow off but if it does it will be a dangerous projectile, that or the bottle may rupture sending pieces flying. Although more likely the pressure delta won't be enough to do anything other than make the bottle very firm.

The other ones from Doc and others sound great though. And props to you for being an awesome science teacher, this is all way beyond what most teachers do and I think its great that you're doing so much to inspire your students.

Get an old triple beam balance.

On surface: Weigh lead, iron, a rock of known composition, and some high density plastic. Use a graduated cylinder to determine the volume of each. determine densities.

U/W: repeat. (great test of buoyancy control)

Where did the error come from? (need to correct for the water that the sliding weights displace)

These are fantastic ideas! Thank you so much! Keep them coming! I'll keep you all updated on our underwater experiences

Create a hand spear by tying a loop of jelly rubber to a blunt pole. Determine spring constant of rubber (Force=Spring Constantx deflection) by hanging mass off end of rubber. Equate strain energy (Work=Average Force x Distance) to kinetic energy to determine release velocity of pole once the rubber is unloaded. Use the impulse and momentum equation to determine the time the rubber takes to unload and then the reaction to the spear on the hand.

When you use a high powered speargun with 3 or more rubbers the jolt from firing the gun can be painful and causes injury. It also causes the gun to kick causing inaccuracy. Adding ballast to the gun barrel makes a significant difference to the reaction force at you wrist as predicted by the impulse momentum equation. Might be hard to get the school principle to agree to demonstrating this one though.

Find someone with a Sharkshield and take it underwater. It has an anode and cathode. Once turned on, an electric field is created as the electricity flows from one to the other. <http://www.sharkshield.com/view/Howitworks> <http://www.sharkshield.com/buy/freedom7/GU1000A>. Measure the electric potential of the field underwater and create an electric potential plot.

Last edited:
I'd suggest starting at the gas filling station where the students will notice that one can make a cylinder one kilogram heavier and this causes wind when the valve is opened (there was no wind before the filling). When the wind stops, the cylinder has lost that extra weight. You then have proved that "wind" is related to mass. And so we come up with the concept of air as a material. I am 100% sure that nobody has proved to them yet that air has a weight and that air truly exists.

When this one kilogram of "air" is stored in various volumes, the pressure changes accordingly. And when temp goes down after a while, pressure goes too. But the weight is the same. The students will learn that mass is persistent while volume and pressure are transient - a package merely.

As a byproduct you will notice that heat seems not to be material but some sort of state of material. Heat can go away while the weight is stable.

The heat-pressure correlation is a nice way of explaining molecules hitting the walls to transmit heat=vibration... and so you reach the kinetic gas theory...

Empty a tank. Notice the cooling effect and also how snow starts to form on the valve. This "proves" the existence of water vapour (not mist, but vapour) in the air, because cooling causes water/snow to appear. An interesting competing theory would be that "cold" is a material that transforms into snow, but I'm sure your students can prove this false... Let them come up with theories and then test them. It'll be fun.

Put a finger into the outflow (and into the valve opening) and you'll suddenly notice suction. That should cause some wonder... Let the students try to solve this mystical phenomenon.

After these tests you can go diving to experiment with the Archimedes law. Let them try explain why the bcd brings them up. I don't think it's a trivial task.

Last edited:
The first thing that popped into my mind was to compare the acceleration due to gravity in air (ie on surface) with the acceleration due to gravity underwater. then extend that idea to the force of resistance in a fluid. If you can do a comparison with the acceleration due to gravity in a (near) vacuum then you have the trifecta.

BTW I am a professor of Physics so if you want help working out ideas be in touch.

cheers
Jerry

I was a science teacher and desperately miss coming up with the bizarre activities.

My thoughts are giving the kids practical problems to solve. the ones that come to mind would be have the kids solve some basic salvage problems on paper and then try them out in real life. The girls would have to determine all the parameters and calculate the solutions and then test them out.

Most of this is about calculating density of different objects and materials.

Ask them to raise a metal object (something like a metal pedal car, sub mock-up or a piece of jungle gym). They'll need to identify all the parameters and either measure the density or weight of objects or research the what they need to know about the problem. The challenge will be to figure out the exact amount material required to raise the car.

For example you tell them that some submarines can dive down thousands of meters. Air is not practical for boyancy because it is very compressable and at extreme depth it is not easy to shift around. Instead, you want them to raise the car (or sub or whatever) to the surface using different liquids. You could tell them that they need to calculate the exact amount of fresh water to provide enough lift to raise the car in local sea water. They would have to figure out exactly how dense the local seawater is. how much does the car (or sub) weigh, how negative is it in water and how much freshwater would be required to lift it. It would certainly keep them busy researching and testing. and the final exam for the unit would be the practical test of their research.

mmmmm love to have the chance to work on this unit...

---------- Post added September 28th, 2013 at 07:58 AM ----------

Be careful with this one, the cap of a soda bottle shouldn't blow off but if it does it will be a dangerous projectile, that or the bottle may rupture sending pieces flying. Although more likely the pressure delta won't be enough to do anything other than make the bottle very firm.

The other ones from Doc and others sound great though. And props to you for being an awesome science teacher, this is all way beyond what most teachers do and I think its great that you're doing so much to inspire your students.

I used to teach a bottle rocket unit. The failure pressure on a your average soda bottle is around 200 psi. To have the bottle rupture you would need fill it at a depth of about 445 fsw. From 100 fsw the bottle will be at about 45 psi. If the bottle did fail it would definitely qualify as dangerous.

Oil rig worker that I knew would draw on Styrofoam cups and attach the to the outside of inspection ROVs and send them deep. The cups would compress to thimbles and on surfacing the Styrofoam cells would rupture and they would stay tiny. You could try something like that with a syringe or balloon attached to the anchor so they could see the gas compression. A 60 cc syringe would give them a good amount of compression at 66 fsw (20 m)

---------- Post added September 28th, 2013 at 08:07 AM ----------

The first thing that popped into my mind was to compare the acceleration due to gravity in air (ie on surface) with the acceleration due to gravity underwater. then extend that idea to the force of resistance in a fluid. If you can do a comparison with the acceleration due to gravity in a (near) vacuum then you have the trifecta.

BTW I am a professor of Physics so if you want help working out ideas be in touch.

cheers
Jerry

An electronic fishing scale attached to different fish shapes might be interesting in comparing the hydro dynamic of different fish bodies. Connect the form of fish (and resistance) to its life style might interesting. open ocean versus reef fish of different lifestyles. The good news is you could get plastic toys to work with and give you some great data.

Last edited:
Do the Isaac Newton thing on land with a ladder, stopwatch, and rock. Record data from various drop lengths.

Repeat underwater (stopwatch in two ziploc bags) to get the "apparent" acceleration of gravity underwater. Ask, then discuss, why the result is wrong. (drag, not buoyant force, messes you up)

Don’t blunt the experience with pedantic calculations. We have computers for that. Students think, computers calculate. Really emphasize thinking and testing.

Get the school to buy you a copy of Ron Brown’s (a freaking genius) brilliant software: http://download.cnet.com/TableCurve-2D/3000-2053_4-10308067.html or http://www.sigmaplot.com/products/tablecurve2d/tablecurve2d.php

Don’t ruin the experience with pedantic math. Just clearly describe what is happening. Input the data pairs, push the button, and get a selection of fitted equations.

Discuss why some equations fit better than others. Keep it general. Notice how the type equation (in their textbook that describes distance vs. time for the drop) gives a really easy fit. There is an error, expect it. How big is it?

Goal: Turn observations into equations, expect and deal with errors. Now they can easily predict values from untestable heights using only their own data pairs.

Aside: Mention that they could give just their single equation to someone instead of an endless table of values and be far, far more accurate. BTDT in programming.

PM me if you get the software, there are one or two easy but un-intuitive steps…

Density & displacement occurred to me. If you have access to a fresh water swimming pool and a buoyant noncompressible object like a piece of wood, weight it in the pool for neutral buoyancy. Measure the weight of the weighted object and the density of pool and ocean water. Calculate the displacement and additional weight for neutral buoyancy in the ocean, then go test the math.

This is simple, but I would be more interested in the idea of light experiments previously mentioned - but that may require equipment that is not available.

Back
Top Bottom