Please explain DIR to me...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwerb:
Would it make any difference if I told you my secondary is yellow...(for the first few feet anyway).

Actually, I think it is the primary that would be more important to be bright, consider this, you are using lights, and typically a lot of light, so it should remain yellow to quite a depth.

Also, on a seven foot hose, it would be much easier to find if dropped. Remember, in an OOA situation, you'll still be breathing fine, it's your buddy who is gonna be trying to snag that thing out of the water.

bwerb:
Just checked your profile...when you are deep air diving do you find that narcosis makes it more difficult to figure out which reg has bubbles coming out?

Well, the deep dive was on air...

and a hose...

I've never had much problem with narcossis, I have seen some people do some strange things when they were narced though, and not figuring out which regulator had bubbles comming out of it would not be the worst of it... Trying to share air with fish would likely be the strangest.

Now, would you care to tell me why my idea is so bad, or would you just like to make fun of me some more?

Seabear70:
Actually, I think it is the primary that would be more important to be bright, consider this, you are using lights, and typically a lot of light, so it should remain yellow to quite a depth.

Also, on a seven foot hose, it would be much easier to find if dropped. Remember, in an OOA situation, you'll still be breathing fine, it's your buddy who is gonna be trying to snag that thing out of the water.

My point should have been spelled-out a little better...since I dive DIR...and I have multi-hued regs...I'm demonstrating that color doesn't matter.

Who are all these people dropping regs...that's a whole new chapter of the DAN report I haven't read.

I apologize...that post was uncalled for. I'm sorry I posted it...I've removed it.

bwerb:
My point should have been spelled-out a little better...since I dive DIR...and I have multi-hued regs...I'm demonstrating that color doesn't matter.

Who are all these people dropping regs...that's a whole new chapter of the DAN report I haven't read.

Ok, ever run out of air in an actual situation? A lot of people never have.

Ever lost a mask under water? I never have.

Ever practice for either of these? I do.

Don't use it's never happened to me as an excuse, it does not work in this sport.

Next...

bwerb:
I apologize...that post was uncalled for. I'm sorry I posted it...if a mod wants to remove it...feel free.
NP, I'm just trying to make a point. And I think it's a good one.

It may not be as significant as the invention of the aqualung, but it may save someone's life someday, so I'll persue it.

Yes, I practice for losing my mask. Yes I practice OOA drills...sometimes you can do them both at the same time for extra fun.

If you look at my first reply to the dropped reg question you have my answer...the hose dangling below me is the reg to grab regardless of where it is coming from.

Are you proposing that ALL regs (other than the secondary) be some bright color?

Seabear70:
Still, the bright colored regulator makes sense. I wonder why it has not been incorporated into the DIR specs?
Here, actually, is an excellent counterpoint to the assertion that DIR is just a collection of arbitrary rules.

Before something is "incorporated into the DIR specs", it has been carefully evaluated, tested and put into the context of the remainder of the requirements.

So far, Seabear, while you have proclaimed that colored regulators make sense, every argument you have offered to support this assertion has been shown to be without substance.

Just because somebody has a brainwave that something "makes sense" doesn't mean that it really does, nor does it mean that even if it does make sense, that it is significant enough to be a "DIR spec".

Actually requiring colored regs would be an arbitrary rule without any significant purpose. That's why it's not a "DIR spec".

bwerb:
Are you proposing that ALL regs (other than the secondary) be some bright color?

I guess it could be taken that way, as it would take some pretty extra ordinary circumstances to lose that secondary, but actually I'd recomend that all regulators be a bright color.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom