Please explain DIR to me...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

filtered:
Just out of curiosity. During decompression and breathing off a deco bottle, in an OOA situation, couldn't the OOA diver just switch to backgas?

I think it would be best when a diver solves his or her own problem.
Either way, if one of the team members switches from a deco gas to backgas (the OOA diver or the donating diver), the team has to change the decompression profile because not everybody is using the same gas anymore.
(But since I've not done TECH-1 I do not know the DIR procedure for this)

Reinoud:
I think it would be best when a diver solves his or her own problem.
Either way, if one of the team members switches from a deco gas to backgas (the OOA diver or the donating diver), the team has to change the decompression profile because not everybody is using the same gas anymore.
(But since I've not done TECH-1 I do not know the DIR procedure for this)

You would buddy breath the deco gas and stay on your schedule. :icosm09:

WJL:
........... I have seen many DIR rigs with colored regs.

Your buddy has a blue backup reg, FYI!!!

Folks-ever notice what depth does to colors? Your reg can be fuscia pink and no one is going to see it glow! They ALL look grey or black at depth. This color thing is a non-starter.

filtered:
Just out of curiosity. During decompression and breathing off a deco bottle, in an OOA situation, couldn't the OOA diver just switch to backgas?

Always go to a working source. If your deco bottle goes south, you don't futz around with your back gas, you go to a working source - your buddy. You always have the same response to the problem.

Once you have gas, you can futz around with things like swaping regs and crap.

RichLockyer:
Here is the first logical failure, and an indication of a lack of understanding of proper procedure.

And here is the second, illustrating WHY the first is wrong.

The OOA diver NEVER follows. He is ALWAYS in the lead, whether in a restriction single file, or when swimming side by side.
When in the open (enough room for side by side), the OOA diver is slightly ahead of the donor, and the donor is in touch-contact (holding the tricep) to provide forward/stop and directional information. The excess hose is coiled once and held by the OOA diver in the left hand.

If the OOA diver is trailing, then it is true that the donor may not know immediately. This could be fatal in a low-viz situation in an overhead. This is why the OOA diver leads. He will not swim away from his air, and if he is in the lead, his air can not swim away from him.

If, for some reason, he DOES drop the reg, the donor is going to see it unless it is zero-viz (and then color doesn't matter) and will be able to retrieve it and hand it back.

This applies whether swimming or scootering. When scootering, the OOA diver drives and the donor tucks in behind and is towed, even in open water.

This goes back to DIR being more than simply equipment. It is equipment, and it is procedure. Equipment is the easy part... anyone with a thousand or so on the Visa can get the equipment part squared away.
Without the proper procedures, the equipment matters not... the diver is not DIR, and is potentially at greater risk if misusing the equipment as indicated in your example.

Ok, let's go with that argument...

Assuming hat you are in a confined space there is absolutely no reason to assume that the donor would be able to hand the reg back to the OOA diver.

Certainly, the donor could reach up as far as possible, but could the OOA diver reach back far enogh to reach he reg? Will he know where it is comming from?

Seems to me te OOa diver might have to retrieve the reg on his own if he wants to be sure he's gong to make it home.

WJL:
I didn't want to embarrass you in public. But now that you've outed yourself....

LOL! At least it's not pink...!

detroit diver:
LOL! At least it's not pink...!

Buddy, if it makes me safer to dive in a hot pink cocktail dress and falsies, I will...

Thank God it doesn't, but if it did I would.

This is what training is about. No fool is going to go into a confined environment without having practiced emergency procedures. There is no guesswork at to where the reg may or may not be. It's practiced over and over again until the muscle memory allows a controlled exchange.

Think about this a little: The OOA diver is in front, and the doner diver sticks his head up near the OOA divers crotch. The length of the OOA divers arm is such that all he has to do is reach back and take the reg from the donor.

You're making this much too difficult.

Seabear70:
Ok, let's go with that argument...

Assuming hat you are in a confined space there is absolutely no reason to assume that the donor would be able to hand the reg back to the OOA diver.

Certainly, the donor could reach up as far as possible, but could the OOA diver reach back far enogh to reach he reg? Will he know where it is comming from?

Seems to me te OOa diver might have to retrieve the reg on his own if he wants to be sure he's gong to make it home.

Seabear70:
Buddy, if it makes me safer to dive in a hot pink cocktail dress and falsies, I will...

I'd like to bring the video camera if you decide to dive this way....!

Unfortunately, your coordinated dress and accessories will be all gray at depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom