Please explain DIR to me...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seabear70:
Please continue the discussion...
I'm still at a loss as to what we're supposed to be discussing...

Roak.

Ps. GM, my competition gun is a .38 Super, don't worry, my carry is a .45..

Seabear70:
What I do not understand is that many people who discuss DIR tend to take the approach of gear Nazis.
As a generalized response, the equipment standards are part of the DIR system. While plenty of the basic skills, like buoyancy control and situational awareness, are independent of the gear a diver is using, many other aspects of DIR are directly related to a particular style or type of equipment and a particular configuration of that equipment. In addition, DIR teaches that equipment should conform to accepted standards for the entire dive team. The equipment standards are not arbitrary rules imposed merely to enforce discipline, but are based on experience, accident analysis, and reasoned analysis. There is a thought-out reason behind each gear standard.

If you have a question about any particular equipment standard, please bring it up. Somebody around here should be able to answer it.

Speaking of gear choices, I find my Sig Sauer .40 perfectly adequate. You guys carrying 1911s are compensating or something
03.gif

Like I said, I do not qualify for the class...

I smoke.

And yes, I carry a 1911, too. I just don't think everyone should. I have seen a lot of women and even some men that could not handle a .45. The point being that there is no 1 right answer for everbody.

That's too bad. I'll sell you my book if you want to read it.

Seabear70:
And yes, I carry a 1911, too. I just don't think everyone should. I have seen a lot of women and even some men that could not handle a .45. The point being that there is no 1 right answer for everbody.
Ah, but let's use that as an example. If you were a member of a team, say a police or military force, there would be an advantage in standardization so equipment, training and techniques could be shared. You could use a magazine from a buddy's gun, you could pick up a dropped firearm and use it without thinking! Versus being faced with you shooting a 1911 where the safety comes off by moving down and picking up a S&W where the safety comes off by moving up.

DIR considers divers diving together a team, hence the standardization. I can walk up to another DIR diver and know where everything is on that diver, and if s/he has a problem, I'll be very well equipped to solve it, since it's exactly the same as my gear. Despite the mainstream recreational claims otherwise "reviewing equipment before the dive", though beneficial does not offer the nearly the same degree of safety as standardized equipment.

And the extension follows that if someone is unable or unfit to handle the standardized equipment, environment or whatever, for the safety of the team as a whole they should be excluded.

No one’s forcing anyone to go the DIR route; it’s your decision. So no one’s being a “Nazi” about anything.

Roak

Ps. And the gear issues pale compared to the technique issues.

Ok, I can see that from the standpoint of a team. But if you are building a team, then you should be diving almost exclusively with that team. So other people's gear is kind of irrelevant.

I am starting to get a better picture of the DIR mindset. And it seems there are two basic branches...

Let's call the first group pragmatic divers, those that focus on technique above all else. They may buy specific gear that is recommended, but they do not feel in anyway obligated to buy equipment that they do not fully understand a reason to have. They make changes to their whole approach as needed, and look at things situationally.

Then there's the dogmatic divers. These people approach DIR like it's a religon. Thery're less interested in getting the best out of themselves and their equipment than they are in looking the part, and sounding like they know what they are doing.

Personally, I'd rather take the pragmatic approach. I've never been much of a follower, and I'm the guy that will ask you why you to back up anything you say and then do my own research to confirm it before I decide to make any major changes.

You know, the DIR approach can be taken in the recreational diving arena, also. It's the CONCEPT of standardization of not only equipment, but also action and response in a given situation.

The concentration on standardized gear and procedure allows a diver from one team to incorporate him/herself, seamlessly, into another team without breaking the continuum of the concept.

I flew for the Army for a number of years. The drills and skills that we learned in flight school are in many ways the same concept as DIR. Everyone does a certain thing a certain way so that there are no surprises, mix ups in communication or confusion based upon an anomolous parameters. I don't think, however, that the DIR philosophy discourages free thinking and assessments of situations.

Just my take on what I've read on this board and discussed with some of the DIR proponents.

WJL:
Speaking of gear choices, I find my Sig Sauer .40 perfectly adequate. You guys carrying 1911s are compensating or something
03.gif

DAO or DA/SA? The choice of a 1911-style is based on experience, accident analysis, and reasoned analysis. There is a thought-out reason behind each gear standard. (Which, incidentally, has little-to-nothing to do with caliber.)

If you have a question about any particular equipment standard, please bring it up. Somebody around here should be able to answer it.

Well, I actually agree with most of the recomended equipment that I have read about. Though I do prefer a larger knife than what I understand DIR'ers recomend. I also have a tendency to carry everything I can think of that I could possible need (be prepared) rather than trying to trim everything down to the essentials.

It's not so much a matter of if I agree with your equipment or techniques for myself. The problem is that I can see several problems with this over organized approach.

1. It can narrow thinking to the point where the obvious can be ignored.
2. In can form a false sense of elitism, seperating the DIR'ers from everybody else.
3. The tendency to standardize equipment throughout the whole of the community has a potential for some people to make a fortune, who makes those choices anyway?

There are other problems, but those really are the three big ones.

Seabear, let me just answer all three questions by saying that you don't really have any idea what DIR really is. Since you aren't very interested in becoming DIR, just... forget about it and save everyone a lot of trouble and flaming.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom