Please explain DIR to me...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
Seabear, let me just answer all three questions by saying that you don't really have any idea what DIR really is. Since you aren't very interested in becoming DIR, just... forget about it and save everyone a lot of trouble and flaming.
Three pages due to a total troll. Not a record, but pretty bad for the current times.

WJL:
Speaking of gear choices, I find my Sig Sauer .40 perfectly adequate.

Way off subject but ...

Oh cripes. :dazzler1:

.40 short and whimpy? Let's see. There was the balls to the wall 10mm. But that was too much gun for girly-men so S&W emasculated it to create the .40 Smith and Wesson. Then you stick that round in a SIG? Man, get thyself a P220 in .45ACP. :eyebrow:

The .40 is for people who can't make up their minds (between a 9 and a .45) :)

Roak

Have you thought about getting a B/P and wing?

roakey:

Roak

HA HA !!! It was truly a solution in search of a problem. :wink:

jonnythan:
Seabear, let me just answer all three questions by saying that you don't really have any idea what DIR really is. Since you aren't very interested in becoming DIR, just... forget about it and save everyone a lot of trouble and flaming.
Well, I've been trying to quit smoking, when I succeede, I will probably take the course. Until then, I will probably order the book. But, As I have stated, I am far more interested in the technique than I am the equipment, though I can see there are some reasons for the equipment that is chosen.

Now, I hope you do not think I am trolling or flaming anyone, that is not my intent at all. I came in here to find out what the whole DIR thing is about. SO other than making some observations, no, I do not know what DIR is about. Most of what I have heard outside this thread isn't very complimentary of DIR'ers, and most of what I see in the other threads has to do with equipment.

roakey:
Roak

Guys, can you take discussions about non-DIR related things somewhere else please? I've had more than enough with this.
Thanks

jonnythan:
BTW, I only know of maybe one "anti-DIR" guy on the forum who has a good understanding of DIR. ALL of the rest of them are pretty clueless about what it is and attack things they really don't understand. I used to be one of them.

Let me finish with this: 99% of the stuff you read about DIR on these forums are from people who are not and don't understand DIR. 99% of the stuff you read about DIR on these forums is absolute crap and can be safely ignored. The only way to get to the meat of it is to take the class.
I just hope you are not equating "not DIR" with "anti-DIR", they are not the same. I agree there are a few who attack DIR senselessly, but the big majority of people here belong to the first category.

I do believe one can get a fair general understanding of what DIR is all about by reading these forums, as long as one can separate the good stuff from the crap (your 99% is exaggeration, IMO). Maybe its not what you mean, but you seem to consider it an "attack on things they really don't understand" when people have legitimate questions or criticisms of your system, or talk about other ways of doing things.

Seabear70:
Well, I've been trying to quit smoking, when I succeede, I will probably take the course. Until then, I will probably order the book. But, As I have stated, I am far more interested in the technique than I am the equipment, though I can see there are some reasons for the equipment that is chosen.

Well... when your ready to make the jump and take some GUE training PM me and I'll point you in the direction of some great GUE instructors. Good luck. :)

jonnythan:
Like I said, DIR is a whole system.. picking parts of the gear may be good for you, but it's not partially DIR.. so many of the procedures and techniques depend on all the little details in the gear.. if you leave parts out, you're leaving many other parts out. This includes the buddy system... DIR is almost worthless without a DIR buddy. Without a DIR buddy, it's basically a buoyancy and finning class.

BTW, I only know of maybe one "anti-DIR" guy on the forum who has a good understanding of DIR. ALL of the rest of them are pretty clueless about what it is and attack things they really don't understand. I used to be one of them.

Let me finish with this: 99% of the stuff you read about DIR on these forums are from people who are not and don't understand DIR. 99% of the stuff you read about DIR on these forums is absolute crap and can be safely ignored. The only way to get to the meat of it is to take the class.

Actually, from a systemic viewpoint I learned more about DIR from diving with DIR divers than I learned in the Fundamentals class. What the class really taught me was that I didn't have the skills I thought I did ... and some clues about how to acquire those skills. But as for the DIR approach to diving, it didn't teach me a whole lot I didn't already know from three years of diving with DIR-trained divers and many hours discussing the topic here and on other scuba boards.

Furthermore, taking the fundamentals class won't really teach you the meat of DIR ... it's more like an appetizer sampler plate. What I've gathered from my buddies who have tech and cave training is that the real DIR training starts at Tech1.

Finally, someone with 2,600 posts and 77 dives should really think twice about calling people in here "clueless" ... Fundamentals doesn't really teach you enough to be an expert on that subject, except perhaps as an exercise in introspection.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom