Please explain DIR to me...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love the DIR threads, you guys keep me entertained............. is this day over yet????

jonnythan:
Seabear, let me just answer all three questions by saying that you don't really have any idea what DIR really is. Since you aren't very interested in becoming DIR, just... forget about it and save everyone a lot of trouble and flaming.

It is this type of response that gives the impression of DIR divers being elitist a**holes. I started reading this thread because I am also DIR curious. I can understand the reluctance of folks to get caught up in a flame war. Maybe if I understood the concepts beyond gear requirements and a rigid set of expectations while diving then I would have a better understanding of whether I WOULD pursue the DIR way.

So Jonnythan, give me an idea of what DIR is in your own words.

Joe

ps> I have found the GUE site very interesting. Enough so that my curiosity it piqued.

JustJoe:
It is this type of response that gives the impression of DIR divers being elitist a**holes. I started reading this thread because I am also DIR curious. I can understand the reluctance of folks to get caught up in a flame war. Maybe if I understood the concepts beyond gear requirements and a rigid set of expectations while diving then I would have a better understanding of whether I WOULD pursue the DIR way.

So Jonnythan, give me an idea of what DIR is in your own words.

Joe

ps> I have found the GUE site very interesting. Enough so that my curiosity it piqued.

Uh, read my earlier post in the thread.

JustJoe:
Maybe if I understood the concepts beyond gear requirements and a rigid set of expectations while diving then I would have a better understanding of whether I WOULD pursue the DIR way.
Joe

Here is a website with a lot of good info. I usually steer people towards it when they are looking for good info a GUE training.

www.5thd-x.com

jonnythan:
Uh, read my earlier post in the thread.

Okay, so what I got out of your earlier post (and once again after reading it for the second time) is basically the same thing that I got out of reading Jabloski's (sp?) introduction to the fundamentals book.

What is it all about for you? If I was your good friend and beginning to dive, what would you tell me about the DIR way so that I could fully understand why I need to go that way?

Like you said, there are good divers who do not follow the DIR path. They have excellent control and a positive mindset, excellent planners and minimalists in gear but chose to dive without the team mindset or don't put d-rings on their collar bones or want pockets on their bc or use split fins, whatever.

What would you tell your friends to make them want to pick up the DIR flag? Why should I chose to embrace "the whole package"?

Joe

ps> I came back to tone done my earlier post. I didn't mean for it to sound harsh. But you responded before I got back here.

"Actually DIR addresses diving's most fundamental problems with solutions that apply equally to shallow open water divers, leading edge technical divers, and even military special forces applications." Taken from a description of DIR from this website http://www.5thd-x.com (thanks boomx5)

Give me one fundamental problem and it's solution that is specific to DIR.

Thanks,
Joe

JustJoe:
"Actually DIR addresses diving's most fundamental problems with solutions that apply equally to shallow open water divers, leading edge technical divers, and even military special forces applications." Taken from a description of DIR from this website http://www.5thd-x.com (thanks boomx5)

Give me one fundamental problem and it's solution that is specific to DIR.

Thanks,
Joe

Who said the solutions were specific to DIR? No single aspect of DIR is DIR-specific or created by DIR as far as I know.

What's wrong with that?

jonnythan:
Who said the solutions were specific to DIR? No single aspect of DIR is DIR-specific or created by DIR as far as I know.

What's wrong with that?

Trying to understand why I should follow a DIR path. There is nothing wrong with the solutions being non-DIR, but the statement was that this philosophy provided solutions to fundamental problems. If these fundamental problems are also solved by non-DIR methodologies, then what is it specifically that makes DIR anything more than another c-card with required equipment?

Joe

I would tell you to read the DIRF book and look at the thought processes JJ and company went through to create DIR. Look at the problems they tried to solve, look at how they solved them. Look at the videos and the skill level they've achieved.

Then look at your own diving, look at the same problems, look at your own skills. Try to think your problems through. You might end up coming to the same conclusions. You might not. In any case I urge you to put the same amount of thought and planning into your own diving.

If you were my buddy and I were trying to convince you to take the class, I'd ask you to watch me in the water. I'd do S-drills with you and share air. I'd get close to the bottom and show you how my finning and trim keep me from disturbing the bottom. I'd show you how I don't need to hold a line to ascend in open water (well, I'm still working on some of this stuff, but you get the idea :wink:). I'd ask you "what if" questions to get you thinking about your own diving, then give you my own answers and why I'd do it that way. I'd ask you to read the book again.

If you end up thinking that the DIR guys are onto something, I'd urge you to take the class and see what you think. If it's just not for you, that's cool. I'll dive with you anyway.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom