Please help - need advice on buying gear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaJay:
I just can't help myself - when someone asks, I just GOTTA make the suggestions that I well remember someone mentioning to me just before I fell in love with the system.

I'm new here, so I appreciate your effort. Thanks for the advice!

Oiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii big bad dude (finger wagging at Seajay ... )! I have a Celica - (metallic and it's lovely - well alright it's a hairdressers car :) as we say over here.

As for the topic of the thread, I agree with SeaJay except the bit about the Celica and yes Alleluja! He's preaching to the choir.

On a more serious note Seajay's suggestion will also allow you to save a lot of money in the long term as you won't be buying gear that you outgrow or need to junk because you find it doesn't suit you.

dbulmer:
As for the topic of the thread, I agree with SeaJay except the bit about the Celica...

Oops. Sorry, mate. :D No offense.

They are very pretty... I can completely understand the attraction.

I just sold a BMW Z3... Wanna talk about a "hairdresser's car?" LOL... Sure was pretty, though.

I bought a Ford F-150 Supercrew. I should have done this a long time ago.

...You know, speaking of which - I promised that I'd post pictures of my new dive truck on the "ultimate dive vehicles" thread... Now where's my digital?

SeaJay:
That said, I completely understand the attraction of Atomic regulators, Tusa X-pert Zoom fins, PCa Ikelites, and SeaQuest Balance BC's in blue and black, please, to match my Excel wetsuit (with coordinated gloves). It's like this stuff "speaks to me," man. C'mon... Tell me you've never looked at an Aqualung roll-up snorkel and thought, "Neato." Go ahead - tell me. They even make them in black silicone.
You can handle the analogies, I failed that part of the SATs...

Ok... confession time... I own one of those... gotta have a snorkel as an OWSI.
Reminds me of a story, one of the boat captains this summer was a know-it-all instructor too, starting giving me poop about having my snorkel in my pocket, I pointed out that PADI standards say you must carry a snorkel, doesn't specify where, he says, that's not the true intent of the standards... same guy who's telling his DM students to go out on the boat, get in for 20, get out, get back in for another 20, and once more to log three dives...

I should have been more specific, I agree with you suggestions, I just don't think he should wait to buy the gear.

Hey Sea Jay - keep bringing the information to the masses! Just reinforces the way I dive.
Now as to selling your Z3 - for shame! I can fit three tanks and gear into mine. You should have kept it and bought the truck. That way when you go off on a weekend you use the truck, but for local dives you take the car. BTW - I have an F350 king cab for weekends.

OneBrightGator:
Ok... confession time... I own one of those... gotta have a snorkel as an OWSI.

Ha! I knew it! :D

Every time I go into an LDS, I pick one up and fondle it a while. Sooner or later I'm going to pick one up just to keep on my desk at home in place of the stress ball. :D

I s'pose that when I'm teaching OW classes, I'll be doing the same thing... LOL

overexposed2x:
Now as to selling your Z3 - for shame!

I know, I know... All my zedthree buddies feel the same way. I just couldn't afford to keep three habits - the truck, the car, and diving - all running at the same time.

...And heck, I'm supposed to be settling down and getting married here soon... You know - mortgage, kids, responsibilities... I'm 34 and I've avoided it up to this point. Seems like I've got a keeper this time, though. :D

...So I sold the "Z" and bought the truck... And then RavenC and I fixed up her boat for diving...

If I get another corner carver it'll be another Honda motorcycle. I miss mine terribly.

I have an F350 king cab for weekends.

Nice choice! What year?

I ended up with leather (handles wet bathing suits better), auto climate controls/headlights/rearviews, the upgraded stereo, and a gorgeous monotone red paint with chrome wheels. I Line-Xed the bed, bought a full set of Husky Liners, installed GPS navigation and a radar detector, and put my website across the back window. I couldn't be happier.

...And somehow two of the presets on my radio have found themselves tuned to country music stations.

Is there anything more romantic than listening to Toby Keith while sitting on the tailgate of your new truck, chatting with your sweetheart while you stare up at the stars over Cave Country? Bonus if the light scent of neoprene permeates the air and you have to move your soaking wet backplate and wing out of the way to make room for two.

I can't believe I didn't do this sooner.

I say if you can afford it go for it. It sucks using crappy rental gear. Not to mention it's really inconvenient. You'll more than likely have a garage full of gear if you catch the bug. I've got multiple set ups for different types of diving.

BC > Halcyon, OMS
Reg > Aqualung Legend
Fins > Dacor Turbo Flex (very stiff), OMER Competition (for hunting)
Computer > Vyper console, Vytec (hoseless, multiple gas)
Tanks > 2 94LP's and 2 104LP's (Go with some nice steel LP's whatever the size)

I've done 50 dives over the last three months on the Vytec and it's been very reliable. Have a good time and be sure to support your local dive shop. Our enjoyment of this sport is made possible by them...

Chad

"Just another diveaholic"

Jacobsen:
I say if you can afford it go for it. It sucks using crappy rental gear. Not to mention it's really inconvenient.

And not to mention that it doesn't take all that long before the gear you've bought will pay for itself vs. what you'd pay in rental fees... I'm glad I rented enough to get a feel for what's out there, but I'm far happier owning most of my gear now.

Man, 50 dives at my LDS's rates would buy a *lot* of gear...

SeaJay:
Nice choice! What year?

I ended up with leather (handles wet bathing suits better), auto climate controls/headlights/rearviews, the upgraded stereo, and a gorgeous monotone red paint with chrome wheels. I Line-Xed the bed, bought those "sandtrapper" floormats, installed GPS navigation and a radar detector, and put my website across the back window. I couldn't be happier.

...And somehow two of the presets on my radio have found themselves tuned to country music stations.

Is there anything more romantic than listening to Toby Keith while sitting on the tailgate of your new truck, chatting with your sweetheart while you stare up at the stars over Cave Country? Bonus if the light scent of neoprene permeates the air and you have to move your soaking wet backplate and wing out of the way to make room for two.

It's a 2000 diesel four door in typical white. Not flashy, but with the canopy on the back I can load it up with a ton of tanks, gear and still sleep back there. The powerstroke is great for hauling my dive boat around too. Funny, my radio gravitated towards alternative, but the cd player generally has rap in it.
:wink:
Get yourself an inverter for your laptop and if you have a cassette player in the stereo, you can go to radio shack and get one of these things that looks likes a cassette with a wire coming out of it. Plug that into the headphone jack on your laptop and you can play DVD's with near theatre sound! It's great for long drives or in your case if you need to watch a chic flick with your better half.

Back
Top Bottom