Pockets (for stuff) for BP/W (WTX harness)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So i'm looking at the Apeks WTX Harness, but i need pockets to put stuff in... What are the options?

And yes i might be going for the SureLock integrated weights, seeing as lots of people seem to say they're excellent... So how do pocket for stuff fit around these?

I'm gonna be mostly in a wetsuit, so no pockets on the thighs like on the drysuits.

TIA,
Rich.

A few options to consider:

Option 1: I recall a pocket that thread through the waist webbing...maybe XS Scuba?

Option 2: X-shorts.

Option 3: You can actually sew pockets onto a wetsuit.

Option 4: Backpad if your BC supports it?

Just get a poodle jacket. There's no point buying a BP&W and then spending extra money turning it into a monstrosity... it defeats the purpose.

Alternatively, get a Hog harness and research how to stow the essential kit on that rig in a streamlined manner. You can still retro-fit pockets onto a wetsuit - or look into getting a pair of 'X-Shorts'. I used the Halcyon Bellows pocket..glued onto my wetsuit... it lasted longer than the wetsuit did!

I really want the pockets on the harness...

What is this "stuff" you want to carry? If you answer that, the rest of the puzzle can be solved easily.

I've found that the less "stuff" I have, the happier I am. On an open water dive, I'll carry a small light, a whistle, and an smb+spool, thats it. I don't need anything else, so I don't drag it with me. No need for a pocket at all.

Btw, I have pockets on my 5mil. Take the suit and pockets to a cobbler (that's a shoe repair guy), they have sturdy enough sewing equipment to make it happen.

I've mostly been in a BCD, so previously, stuff has included:
snorkel
smb
torch
camera in housing (s90, just fits)
white-balance gray card (when not in use)
props for AOW deep dives
knife (haven't found a sheath for my shortened steak knife yet!)
rubbish/netting/etc collected on dives...

When i've done dives in a harness before i've either been in a drysuit with pockets on the thighs or totally without when in a semi-dry... which is when i missed them...
Obviously i can clip off half the stuff, but i was wondering what the options were, and if they worked ok or not...?

I know women somehow manage without pockets, but i neeeeed at least one! ;-)

Here's how I do it:

snorkel
- bungeed to the right side of my backplate (only carried for teaching)
smb -
bungeed to the bottom of my backplate
torch - AA LED torch, on bolt snap from right chest d-ring, secured to harness with rubber loop (cut from inner tube).
camera in housing (s90, just fits)
I wouldn't put this in pocket, as I can't see if it flooded. Attached a simple bolt snap. hung from right hip d-ring when carried.
white-balance gray card (when not in use) wetsuit pocket, right side.
props for AOW deep dives wetsuit pocket, right side
knife (haven't found a sheath for my shortened steak knife yet!) Halcyon Ti knife, in nylon sheath, on my waistbelt.
rubbish/netting/etc collected on dives... Mesh bag. When carried for specific clean-up dives, it is hand held. Otherwise, it can be rolled up stowed on the backplate with bungees.
Here is me...in BP&W (Hog harness), carry DSMB, Reel, Torch, Slates etc..
4995516948_8c1a2499fc_z.jpg

Here is my other wetsuit, with 2 bellows pockets added. I used this for tropical tech diving... but also good for photo (I carry various wet lenses).

5329200784_d029059a4a_z.jpg

Sling a duffel bag.

Great name by the way.

So i'm looking at the Apeks WTX Harness, but i need pockets to put stuff in... What are the options?

I have a very useful monstrosity threaded onto the webbing. I keep the buckle right of the loop for the crotch strap and this pocket on the left. It is very old I don't know if they still sell it but it is super durable, there is no telling how many hundreds of dives it has already, many times I don't even open it for the whole dive, but when I need/want it is great.

Has a D ring inside, I have a medium size mesh bag attached to that, I can fit a flounder or a lobster if I didn't bring along a stringer or catch bag. You never know when a creature may insist on committing suicide. Also very good for garbage that you may encounter. Inside that mesh bag there are always coins that I may leave behind when the diver is particularly good and the Gods deserve payment.

The actual pocket has one drain hole, a short webbing flap with a grommet to attach to the backplate in addition to webbing-thread it, I don't use it because I like to move it around but is there.

The additional drag created is minimal, the trade off is worth it when it comes to the ability to store the "stuff". You never know what treasure you may find on a given dive.

Attachments

• IMG_2680.jpg
    IMG_2680.jpg
    425.8 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2682.jpg
    IMG_2682.jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 112
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom