POLL: What was your first dive computer and would you buy it again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine was a Beuchat/Cochran Maestro Pro, bought it around 1995 and used it until 1999 when it utterly collapsed.

Was air only of course, but was on the very first on the market to have user replacable battery. Still the battery model was a pain in the neck to find, and starting again the computer with a brand new battery was no picknick either...

It was confortable and easy to use while diving, but the lack of Customer support disgusted me. When problems started (still diving when backon the boat), Beuchat told me to get in touch with Cochran... When I did, Cochran told me to get in touch with Beuchat...

ORCA Skinny Dipper... no. Uwatec Aladin Pro... loved the readability of the display but battery died "prematurely" and pretty much required factory replacement. Dive Rite Nitek Duos and Trios... no longer made and 3 out of 4 failed. Uwatec Tec 2G and 2G... Tec 2G was stolen but the 2G is still going strong. Yes.

Suunto Octopus 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suunto D9

If I was only diving rec, then yes.

Heading towards a Shearwater now

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Oceanic Prodigy in the early 90's. Great computer

I started with the Holis DG03, its a good computer for the price and now is my backup as I dive my Shearwater Petrel 2.

1. What was your first dive computer? (brand/model)
Suunto / Zoop
2. Would you have bought it again as your first?
No. If you are buy a computer (and cables) that will cost you something from 250 to 400 USD you better get something that has Bottom timer on it to use as you gauge when you move forward - many of us did start thinking we would stay only at recreational level just to realize that we would have to purchase other stuff. I moved from the Zoop to a Petrel 2 and a Uwatec 2G as Back Up at BT.

My advice: by your second computer first and get a BP/W set up - stay far away from jacket BCs, and obviously split fins and snorkels
:D

Back
Top Bottom