Poor drysuit service from LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that be me,,well that local shop wouldin't be there anymore,and id prolly be in jail :S.
here in iceland we only hawe 2 brands that we can buy from our lds but prices are aprox 100% more than u guys pay out there.ned more brands here...
ps enjoy your new suit

I'm curious. Is there a reason that you couldn't send your suit to a place that would do a good job? I'm thinking of places like Gambles in Florida or Superior Drysuit repair. Is there something about the suit or materials that left you stuck with your LDS?

It's a long story, but I'll try to make it "medium" here. It was the first time I ever had to replace seals at all, and at that time I trusted my LDS (they were just beginning the long road to not caring about their customers, but I didn't see it until after the drysuit incident). When I tried to send it straight to USIA, and got refused by their phone person, I went to the LDS because I needed it in three weeks for another trip. They said no problem, they would do it there and cheaper than USIA would. I asked if it would be as good a job, and they said absolutely. I was ignorant of seal replacement at that time. I also asked how long it would take them, and they said a week, ten days max, which was fine because then I could try it out in the pool to make sure it didn't leak. I didn't know about superior or others at that time, and obviously the LDS didn't offer it up:D
I called ten days later, they didn't have it done. fourteen days later, not done. seventeen days later, not done. I got a little irate because time was running out on me, and I talked to the owner, who snippily said When are you going? and then said Don't worry, it'll be done by then, do you have any other questions? to which i said nope, no more questions, ever. So, I get the suit back the day BEFORE a trip, not enough time to try it and dry it. And although, thankfully, the seals didn't leak, they used old seals and they only lasted one season.
So, never again did I set foot in the LDS, and I blame USIA for the whole incident because of the support they show a supply chain that doesn't represent them well.
I had a friend show me how to replace them (figuring that was the only way to make sure this didn't happen to me again) and although a sloppy job, at least it doesn't leak.
I just HATE working on stuff. I'd rather pay, and then have it done when the person paid promises it. If you tell me how much and I say OK, and I ask when it's done and you tell me and I say OK, as long as you hold up your end of the bargain I'll hold up mine.
LDS owners are so frickin' amateurish when it comes to customers. It really isn't that hard, and the manufacturers better start leaning on them to rep right, or they lose customers as they get more sophisticated. I can't think of one other industry that has as many victims of the shops that support the sport as scuba.

Postcript: to top it off, USIA actually defends their position as benefitting the customer. Let's see, give it to an LDS, who HAS to mark stuff up, to ship when they darn well please to a manufacturer, to fix it, then send back to the LDS, to call the customer when they darn well please. You can find better, but you can't pay less. So, I won't buy USIA again. I'll just keep looking 'till I find a manufacturer who cares how the ultimate customer is taken care of. That's why I bought a DSS bp/w. And White's gets a B- in customer service on this one.

Care to elaborate on what the lds said?
Short version she complained about the reason they never sent the suit off was shipping. when several times I went there my wife went there.
she told us repeatedly was sent off, if the issue was shipping heck wasn’t that bad , I told them first time I would pay for shipping and repair alterations. Anyway she said she didn’t think whites should have done that, so I point blank asked her why, would you rather me took you to court and you have to pay.
So I told her the reason whites had to step in because there sorry butt wouldn’t take care of there customers and giving the dive shop industry and bad name in general.
Since you are whites rep, that makes them look bad too. I should have sent you bill for letting someone else use the suit to begin with.
Anyway it just got worse at that point. I just turned around and walked out, told them I was done with them. Since everything is factual I normally don’t put name on this but I feel so strong and don’t want anyone else to get ripped.
The shop is called Sand hills scuba in Pinehurst NC.
Sandhills Scuba
I have recently learned of two other divers who had some type of problem with them.

DiverBri-

I can see why you're not happy with the service at the local shop. I also understand why you would prefer to sent the suit direct to USIA, and I see why they want you to use their dealers. I will also agree that all brands need to do what they can to keep lousy dealers in check.

I guess I don't see why you didn't opt to go to an independent repair place, or maybe another USIA dealer who could send in the suit.

It's sort of way off topic for this thread, but PM me if you're looking for a responsive USIA dealer somewhere down the line. I dealt with a couple of others who didn't provide the greatest service before finding one that knows customer service.

Rich

until after the fiasco. Now I know that I don't need another USIA dealer, I can go independent.
And I don't need USIA either. Now that I'm informed, I can handle it myself or send it to trusted repair shops. It all worked out, just not the way I would have wanted.
And, I learned something about the LDS (not unlike our OP, remember him?) that in the big picture wasn't as painful as it could have been.
sometimes ya don't know what ya don't know, and that was certainly me when this all happened. Not unlike, once again, our OP.
I'm all good now, though, fireflock. But thanks for the offer. That's why I like to share stuff like this and post about it - someone always has good advice. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I give it:D I'm hoping someone else learns something from this the easy way instead of the hard way.

I believe White's properly handled the issue, but they could have handled it better. As I see it they should have sent the customer a new drysuit (possibly request he fax the receipt for proof of purchase) then White's deal directly with the dealer regarding this issue and next steps (Pull product line? Improve service and leave product line? Apologize to customer? Bill shop for drysuit that White's sent out? Etc....)

As I see it this thread became a marketing opportunity that White's should have capitalized on. After reading through everything, I think its fair to say many people who where on the line between White's and DUI ended up buying DUI because of this thread. White's did nothing wrong, but nothing to outclass the competition! A single amazing customer service story can easily branch into hundreds of excellent customers. Just my opinion....

It's a long story, but I'll try to make it "medium" here. It was the first time I ever had to replace seals at all, and at that time I trusted my LDS (they were just beginning the long road to not caring about their customers, but I didn't see it until after the drysuit incident). When I tried to send it straight to USIA, and got refused by their phone person, I went to the LDS because I needed it in three weeks for another trip. They said no problem, they would do it there and cheaper than USIA would. I asked if it would be as good a job, and they said absolutely. I was ignorant of seal replacement at that time. I also asked how long it would take them, and they said a week, ten days max, which was fine because then I could try it out in the pool to make sure it didn't leak. I didn't know about superior or others at that time, and obviously the LDS didn't offer it up:D
I called ten days later, they didn't have it done. fourteen days later, not done. seventeen days later, not done. I got a little irate because time was running out on me, and I talked to the owner, who snippily said When are you going? and then said Don't worry, it'll be done by then, do you have any other questions? to which i said nope, no more questions, ever. So, I get the suit back the day BEFORE a trip, not enough time to try it and dry it. And although, thankfully, the seals didn't leak, they used old seals and they only lasted one season.
So, never again did I set foot in the LDS, and I blame USIA for the whole incident because of the support they show a supply chain that doesn't represent them well.
I had a friend show me how to replace them (figuring that was the only way to make sure this didn't happen to me again) and although a sloppy job, at least it doesn't leak.
I just HATE working on stuff. I'd rather pay, and then have it done when the person paid promises it. If you tell me how much and I say OK, and I ask when it's done and you tell me and I say OK, as long as you hold up your end of the bargain I'll hold up mine.
LDS owners are so frickin' amateurish when it comes to customers. It really isn't that hard, and the manufacturers better start leaning on them to rep right, or they lose customers as they get more sophisticated. I can't think of one other industry that has as many victims of the shops that support the sport as scuba.

Postcript: to top it off, USIA actually defends their position as benefitting the customer. Let's see, give it to an LDS, who HAS to mark stuff up, to ship when they darn well please to a manufacturer, to fix it, then send back to the LDS, to call the customer when they darn well please. You can find better, but you can't pay less. So, I won't buy USIA again. I'll just keep looking 'till I find a manufacturer who cares how the ultimate customer is taken care of. That's why I bought a DSS bp/w. And White's gets a B- in customer service on this one.

guess I missed this so I will answer it , I didn't have the suit in hand they did keep telling me they shipped it then seen another customer with my suit , long end whites replaced the nexuim think that was suit with one of there new fusion sport suits still going strong.

a bit of a necro... but interesting reading.

Got a question for Medic... Is Sandhills still selling Whites suits?? after dropping the ball like that, it would have been interesting to be 'fly on the wall' during the next supplier/retailer phone call...

I know Whites is still making them :D

We are pretty blessed in our little corner of the world. Here in Vancouver we have like 5 manufacturers of VERY high quality dry-suits all within about a 150 mile radius.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom