Quality Plastic Buckles? Want to Switch from SS to Something Lightweight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like Ti stuff, I have Ti reg, it is not logical but it is OK. :)
I can understand a Ti reg, unless you're using high concentrations of O2. Corrosion on a Ti reg is awesomely not there.

Well, I think for most of the time, "because I like it" is a good enough, and not silly. Trying to justify a subjective "because I like it" reason into a logical/objective reason, now that is silly.

I like Ti stuff, I have Ti reg, it is not logical but it is OK. :)

Exactly. If somebody wants bling have at it. I own a machine shop / fab shop. I have lots things made out of stainless steel that don't need to be. :)

OTOH Trying to make a case that Ti will reduce "deadly, service life shorting plate flex" is the very definition of silly.

Tobin

Trying to make a case that Ti will reduce "deadly, service life shorting plate flex" is the very definition of silly.

Tobin

No doubt! Anyone who make a statement like that would seem to be pretty ignorant. Almost as ignorant as saying that a plate of Ti has to be half as thick as a plate of stainless steel just to be the same weight. Makes you wonder where some people come up with some of this stuff.

But, regarding Ti plates and flex, are you sure any earlier comments made were not simply making the point that you'd want a Ti plate to be thick enough to be as strong as the more normal SS and Al plates? That would seem to be a reasonable statement, to me. A Ti plate the thickness of tin foil, for example, seems like it probably would not last very long (especially with using it to carry a set of steel doubles back and forth from a car to a boat, for example) - though it would be very light!

I have Ti reg, it is not logical but it is OK. :)

I was under the impression that Ti regs are marketed as being lighter weight than brass regs.

I was under the impression that Ti regs are marketed as being lighter weight than brass regs.

That's only one place that the weight-reduction benefit of owning a Ti reg is seen...

empty-wallet-550x366.jpg

:D

It appeared to a number of us that you did not read the replies as your question was already answered. Recovering old ground is frustrating at best and I thought the fun poked at you was rather benign.

I hate to break it to you but the vast majority of the posts on SB covers old ground. If Tobin had a nickle for explaining how to calculate the proper size of the wing he could retire.

You don't have to be rich to play here, but you still have to pay attention or users will point that out in an often entertaining manner.

Some users have a habit of posting sarcastic and totally useless posts that don't add anything to the discussion. It doesn't matter if you paid attention or not. I don't see this much in other forums (although this is the one I use the most). If you ask someone in the AV forum for advice on compact speakers they aren't going to tell you to purchase full size speakers because that's what they use. If you ask for advice on an inexpensive AR build on a gun forum, the posters don't say your going to die or buy an AK.

---------- Post added September 18th, 2015 at 11:34 AM ----------

They are. In the past Scubapro used to make UL regulators out of aluminum (MK-18 UL, MK-20 UL, MK-25 UL) however they had problems with corrosion after a time (probably from poor rinsing) and stopped making them and switched to titanium for lightweight models. As I mentioned in previous posts, titanium is about $30 a pound and maybe requires different tooling. So while it should be more expensive there is no reason it needs to be $1,000 more expensive than a brass regulator.

I hate to break it to you but the vast majority of the posts on SB covers old ground.
You missed the point! It was already answered in this very thread.

Some users have a habit of posting sarcastic and totally useless posts that don't add anything to the discussion.
Many of those users are gone. If you find a problematic post, please report it so we can deal with it.

It doesn't matter if you paid attention or not.
Sure it does. Conversations are two way. If you're unwilling to read and understand the discussion, then you end up derailing the thread.

I don't see this much in other forums
As far as Scuba forums go, this one is one of the nicer ones. I think it's more an industry problem.

Some users have a habit of posting sarcastic and totally useless posts that don't add anything to the discussion.

I resent the assertion that sarcastic posts are totally useless and that they add nothing to the discussion.

:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom