Quality Plastic Buckles? Want to Switch from SS to Something Lightweight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I resent the assertion that sarcastic posts are totally useless and that they add nothing to the discussion.

:eyebrow:

If the shoe fits.

---------- Post added September 18th, 2015 at 12:57 PM ----------

You missed the point! It was already answered in this very thread.

No it wasn't. One of the advantages of titanium is weight. One of the reasons they use it in the construction of jet fighters. While I agree with Tobin that the world does not need a stronger backplate, the world does need a a lighter and more compact backplate. As a mentioned in a past post titanium is about $30 a pound, which given the amount of material needed is not all that prohibitive. Especially, if it allows you to dodge an airline overweight penalty.

Many of those users are gone. If you find a problematic post, please report it so we can deal with it.

Some are alive and kickin' in this thread.

Sure it does. Conversations are two way. If you're unwilling to read and understand the discussion, then you end up derailing the thread.

People will ridicule you regardless if you pay attention or not. As to derailing a thread, well this thread is about plastic buckles and now we are are talking about titanium backplates.

As far as Scuba forums go, this one is one of the nicer ones. I think it's more an industry problem.

Actually, I think they are nicer in the cave diver forum. I am not sure which other forums are still active. The Deco Stop and Dive Matrix seem pretty dead.

Last edited:
No it wasn't.
Actually, it was. I bet my Kydex plate is just as light without damaging the webbing.

If the shoe fits.

Damn... I totally forgot to use the sarcasm font in that response.

Sorry.

I was under the impression that Ti regs are marketed as being lighter weight than brass regs.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/509919-weight-regulators.html

It is about 7oz of weight saving for 1st stage and 1.5oz from 2nd stage. Total saving from Atomic T2 to Atomic M1 is 8.5oz or about 1/2lb. Cost is about $700. Maybe plastic buckle and d-ring really start to make a lot of sense in weight reduction vs cost aspect

---------- Post added September 18th, 2015 at 02:47 PM ----------

No it wasn't. One of the advantages of titanium is weight. One of the reasons they use it in the construction of jet fighters. While I agree with Tobin that the world does not need a stronger backplate, the world does need a a lighter and more compact backplate. As a mentioned in a past post titanium is about $30 a pound, which given the amount of material needed is not all that prohibitive. Especially, if it allows you to dodge an airline overweight penalty.

This statment is not entire accurate. It is Not weight, but strength vs weight ratio. Ti is probably one of the highest metal in this aspect. Weight for weight, if strength is not needed, I think Al make a lot more sense. And don't forget $30/lb is for raw material. It is actually quite expansive. And working with Ti is also much more difficult than Al. You can melt Al and forge it even at home, it is that simple. No chance with Ti. Also trying to drill Ti, it is very difficult.

As Tobin mentioned, to have Ti plate of the same weight as Al plate, it needs to be about 1/2 as thick. I am not sure such a thin plate will work even with Ti. It maybe just be too flexible.

No doubt! Anyone who make a statement like that would seem to be pretty ignorant. Almost as ignorant as saying that a plate of Ti has to be half as thick as a plate of stainless steel just to be the same weight. Makes you wonder where some people come up with some of this stuff.

Stuart, I already corrected my error. I was referring to aluminum vs Ti. Did you not read my post? Do I need to quote it for you again?

What exactly is your purpose in referencing a statement I have already corrected?

The fact remains that any one with even the slightest understanding of the demands placed on a scuba back plate would have no concern over a bit of flex.

Newbies OTOH want wings with twelve dumps, think 300 bar din valves are "stronger" and believe the trivial loads placed on a scuba back plates require unobtanium to satisfy. Bravo, keep it up.

Tobin

Last edited:
If the shoe fits.

As to derailing a thread, well this thread is about plastic buckles and now we are are talking about titanium backplates.

Welcome aboard.

Actually, it was. I bet my Kydex plate is just as light without damaging the webbing.

I have a Kydex plate also but I don't remember it (it is in storage) being significantly lighter than an aluminum backplate. We can disagree but I do believe there is better solution for a single-tank travel backplate than what is offered on the market currently. I see no reason why a company can't make a rigid flat dog bone backplate. The material is open, titanium is one choice maybe some type of plastic would be another.

There are plenty of threads from people looking to lighten up their travel load. I don't expect airlines to become more generous with their baggage allowances, in fact the trend is for them to become less generous. So there is a market for such products. Besides weight some of use don't trust putting anything valuable into checked luggage because the items are subject to theft and damage.

We can disagree but I do believe there is better solution for a single-tank travel backplate than what is offered on the market currently.
Since we have switched now to the best travel backplate, there really isn't a good traditional one out there. Zeagle's Exress Tech and Dive Rite's Hunter Pack fit that niche nicely with a wing mounted to a cloth/fiber back late. Light and flexible, but perfect for single tanks.

Since we have switched now to the best travel backplate, there really isn't a good traditional one out there. Zeagle's Exress Tech and Dive Rite's Hunter Pack fit that niche nicely with a wing mounted to a cloth/fiber back late. Light and flexible, but perfect for single tanks.

Halcyon Traveler Pro would be my pick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom