Quality Plastic Buckles? Want to Switch from SS to Something Lightweight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Logically, cost/benefit ratio is the main reason Ti plate doesn't make sense. Think what is Ti's benefit? Strength vs weight ratio, we know we don't need the strength because kydex work just fine. Corrosion resisit, we also we don't need it because Al and SS are just fine. For look, Ti is just a gray metal. At least in my brief experience, it get scratched very easily, easier than SS for sure, maybe even easier than hard anodized Al. While Ti plate will look nice and shiny new, in no time, it will have full fine stretch and become dull.

For diver who need ballast, Ti is a poorer choice than SS because of the lower density. In water, the "weight" of the material (assuming it sinks) is reduced by this factor: (material density - water density)/material density. You want very high material density, so the reduction is small. I would think if anything else, a tungsten plate would make the most sense. But tungsten is probably the most difficult metal to work with. It is extremely hard, has highest melting point of all metal, and it brittle.

From diver who don't need ballast or need weight reduction, I really don't see how Ti is better than Kydex.

As for cost, I really don't see how Ti can ever be at the same level as SS or Al simply because Ti is rare compared to Al and iron. And it is definitely a lot harder to work with.

Now with the logical stuff out of the way, I honestly don't mind having a Ti plate if it is affordable just because it is kind of cool. I can go tell other I have a Ti plate. But it is not about making logical sense, much like having Ti regulators.

Logically, cost/benefit ratio is the main reason Ti plate doesn't make sense. Think what is Ti's benefit? Strength vs weight ratio, we know we don't need the strength because kydex work just fine. Corrosion resisit, we also we don't need it because Al and SS are just fine. For look, Ti is just a gray metal. At least in my brief experience, it get scratched very easily, easier than SS for sure, maybe even easier than hard anodized Al. While Ti plate will look nice and shiny new, in no time, it will have full fine stretch and become dull.

For diver who need ballast, Ti is a poorer choice than SS because of the lower density. In water, the "weight" of the material (assuming it sinks) is reduced by this factor: (material density - water density)/material density. You want very high material density, so the reduction is small. I would think if anything else, a tungsten plate would make the most sense. But tungsten is probably the most difficult metal to work with. It is extremely hard, has highest melting point of all metal, and it brittle.

From diver who don't need ballast or need weight reduction, I really don't see how Ti is better than Kydex.

As for cost, I really don't see how Ti can ever be at the same level as SS or Al simply because Ti is rare compared to Al and iron. And it is definitely a lot harder to work with.

Now with the logical stuff out of the way, I honestly don't mind having a Ti plate if it is affordable just because it is kind of cool. I can go tell other I have a Ti plate. But it is not about making logical sense, much like having Ti regulators.

Thank you for your thoughtful, respectful response. My reason for a Ti plate is also just because I think it would be cool.

Thank you for your thoughtful, respectful response. My reason for a Ti plate is also just because I think it would be cool.

Ah... you didn't specify that you also wanted a LENGTHY answer!

:D

From post #64, in answer to your question...

The material itself is more expensive than steel or aluminum, it is harder and therefor more difficult and expensive to work with, and provides no meaningful benefit in this application.

Ah... you didn't specify that you also wanted a LENGTHY answer!

:D

From post #64, in answer to your question...

I liked your post too :D

---------- Post added September 18th, 2015 at 06:51 AM ----------

Let me be open and honest at the risk of ridicule, my question was genuine as I didn't know the answer, maybe I'm not that smart. I was just trying to learn something from those more knowledgable than me but it kinda felt like I was being made fun of. I'll own it and perhaps need to harden up a little and try to be less sensitive, but for good or bad it's who I am. FTR, I appreciated your more direct and factual post, it was helpful for my understanding. Too open? Sorry. Cheers.

Let me be open and honest at the risk of ridicule, my question was genuine as I didn't know the answer, maybe I'm not that smart.
It appeared to a number of us that you did not read the replies as your question was already answered. Recovering old ground is frustrating at best and I thought the fun poked at you was rather benign. You don't have to be rich to play here, but you still have to pay attention or users will point that out in an often entertaining manner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom