Question about “balanced rigs” and having all ballast unditchable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The idea of continuous webbing is simplicity and elimination of a potential failure point - not to preclude a diver from removal of the unit.

The idea of continuous webbing goes back to the early development of what were called back packs in the early 1960s, long before BC came to market. The primary idea was to allow tightening or loosening shoulder straps by pulling or slacking the belly band straps. They fit most diver's backs so well that crotch straps were not needed.

upload_2018-7-1_11-5-21.png

full.jpg

When scuba diving looked cool!

The back pack pictured was not continuous, It had snaps (or often a shoulder buckle). That pack also precluded the waist strap from sliding easily.

Removing my equipment underwater is pretty far down the list of things if consider.

Avoiding entanglement, self untangle, and buddy assistance all come way before trying to take off my kit.

Whether underwater BC remove/replace is good/bad/stupid is a little to the side of ditchable weights, thought it does touch on if you might want on-body weights. It is a WRSTC requirement. The U.S. text is here: http://wrstc.com/downloads/03 - Open Water Diver.pdf. If you want to do it with all your weight on the BC, ok, but it is harder if that makes you positive and the rig negative. The Padi 2017 manual requires the U/W pool version 'without losing control of buoyancy, body position and depth.'

Quoting WRSTC:"""
4.8 Pool/Confined Water Scuba Skills. The following scuba skills shall each be required to be taught to students in pool/confined water prior to that skill being performed in the open water.
(16) Underwater removal and replacement of scuba system
(17) Underwater removal and replacement of the weight/ballast system (when wearing a
scuba unit with an integrated weight system, may be performed in conjunction with 4.8.16)

4.9 Open Water Scuba Skills. ....
(14) Removal and replacement of weight/ballast system
(15) Removal and replacement of scuba system
"""

But back to ditchable weights...

Last edited:
That pack also precluded the waist strap from sliding easily.

That wasn't true on any of mine. I used them on singles and doubles for about 15 years. Most divers that I saw replaced the cotton webbing on these early models with stiffer continuous Nylon webbing because the shoulder release wasn't necessary or even helpful; in addition the cotton webbing was limp and rotted. Granted, the stiffer webbing slide better than the cotton, wet or dry.

Continuous straps sliding through lower guides were also the norm on these less expensive blow-molded polypropylene back packs that replaced the injection molded ABS packs. They are a lot tougher and more compact in a dive bag, but not as comfortable on me.

full.jpg

The tri-glide was necessary to prevent the left strap from pulling completely out of the lower guide on the plate. I use Eric's Freedom Plate now and added rollers to make the webbing slide through the lower guides easier.

full.jpg

There was a thread in accidents that 5 divers went missing, the current was taking them away from their boat and an island. One diver ditched his rig swam to the island and was the first to alert the authorities. He was one of three that survived.

Bottom line is which is worth more, your gear or your life.

Bob
-----------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

4 diveres went missing - Malpelo, Colombia

Do you have any ditchable ballast on you when you dive?
I do. When I wear a 7mm wetsuit and I’m using a steel 12l single, I need 2kg lead on my weight belt and I have 2kg on my SS plate. Why do you ask?

I use ditchable ballast because I only need 2 kg. I’m not an expert by any means but my guess would be, if you use more than 2kg to descend, you should the rest into non ditchable weight.

Realistically, if you needed to drop your WB for whatever reason, you should be enough positively buoyant without that 2 kg (4.4 pounds) dropped.

Removing my equipment underwater is pretty far down the list of things if consider.

Avoiding entanglement, self untangle, and buddy assistance all come way before trying to take off my kit.

I could see ditching it at the surface to establish bouyancy if things were going south...but I can’t think of a single instance that I would have legitimately needed to remove my gear underwater....no mount excluded...

Back
Top Bottom