Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What are the main reasons you wanted to start Scuba Diving and why did you carry on your Scuba Diving Education...

I don't know. It was just something I wanted to do. I guess fish and things aquatic have always fascinated me. My parents refused permission, so 1 month after I reached legal age I took a Naui OW course.

I have taken subsequent courses partly because I wanted to be a better diver and partly because better qualifications opened up more dive sites to me.

Also another question for the Instructors and Divemasters out there:

What do you feel are the main reasons for potential Scuba Divers not to take a course? (money, fear, etc)

I am neither a DM, nor an Instructor. Some guys I speak to in NY want to do the course, but it is an expensive sport and they cannot afford it.

For my wife it was fear of water. It must have been 20 dives before she realized that diving is not and adrenaline sport. Even now she restricts it to the easiest of dives.

...What are the main reasons you wanted to start Scuba Diving and why did you carry on your Scuba Diving Education?

I always wanted to be an astronaut but I did not want to go into the air force. I have found that the underwater world can be just as alien and so much more beautiful.

I continued to learn so I could satisfy the explorer heart that I have.

What do you feel are the main reasons for potential Scuba Divers not to take a course? (money, fear, etc)...Regards

Lack of fitness, time and money. The first two would be the only two I would give credence to. If you are not willing to put in the effort to keep yourself healthy (it not that hard to get a pass from your doctor to go diving anymore) or the time to seek out good training, then diving is not for you.

However, these are things easily taken care of. What is really keeping people from their dreams? Could be anything, I think that if someone is willing to go for it, they should.

Reason for starting - my Dad used to do it, then i snorkeled a lot on sun holidays, used to dive down after the shoals of fish but could never catch up, kept saying for years it was something I'd like to do. Eventually had a chance conversation with a friend who I didn't know was already diving, he put me in touch with a great instructor and I haven't looked back.

As with other posters, I'm not an instructor or DM but the reasons I hear from people when I ask them if it's something they'd be interested in trying, in rough order are:
  • No interest
  • Too expensive
  • Not comfortable in water, might panic
  • Can't swim very well
  • Too cold
  • Don't understand that there is actually stuff to see in Irish waters
Also told recently by my brother that he'd be interested if he could go straight to diving on wrecks but doesn't want to do it in a pool first......

Hi all, hope everyones having a good day!
I'm currently trying to compile some information for a study on Scuba Diving.

The question I'm currently looking for answers for is:

What are the main reasons you wanted to start Scuba Diving and why did you carry on your Scuba Diving Education...

What do you feel are the main reasons for potential Scuba Divers not to take a course? (money, fear, etc)

Thankyou for your time and answers, they are very appreciated.

Regards

My main reason for wanting to start scuba diving was because I was at an all-inclusive resort and Discover Scuba Diving was included. Once I gave it a try I loved the feeling of weightlessness.

The reason for carrying on my scuba diving education was so I had the necessary skills to dive in more challenging environments and later so I could become an instructor and teach others the joy of scuba diving.

I always loved the Ocean and swimming. I grew up watching Cousteu documentaries.

I went to an aquarium and talked to the guy who was in the shark tank feeding the sharks. He said if I learnt to dive, I could come back and dive with the sharks. I enrolled on a course the next week.

Some people have incorrect/inaccurate apprehensions and perceptions about scuba diving, it's risks and the level of training required.

Some people recognise that poor swimming ability is a barrier to scuba tuition (although many over-estimate the level of swimming ability needed).

Some people have irrational fears about the Ocean environment and marine life. The wierdest I have encountered was a phobia of seaweed (slimy!).

Some people cannot afford the tuition or equipment.

Started for the adventure. Stayed for the serenity.

Those who don't take up scuba probably just have higher priorities.

Lack of fitness, time and money. The first two would be the only two I would give credence to. If you are not willing to put in the effort to keep yourself healthy (it not that hard to get a pass from your doctor to go diving anymore) or the time to seek out good training, then diving is not for you.

A little off topic but -- I figure that at least for PADI this is no doctor's permission needed at all if you answer "no" to everything on the medical form. So if you lie (I assume very few can answer no honestly on every single item), you don't even see a doctor. PADI says some local places do require a medical from a doctor. Anyone know where these places are? What about NAUI's and other agency's requirements?

Diving was something I had always wanted to do, but never really had the money for. About 18 months ago on my last contract, getting certified was something a ton of people were doing. We had the money and were in Cozumel every few days. So I went for it. Fell in love with it immediately. I decided to continue on with my education to become a more confident, capable diver. I only have my AOW water right now, but rescue is coming in the next year, as well as some proper cold water diving (bye bye Caribbean, hello England)....

A little off topic but -- I figure that at least for PADI this is no doctor's permission needed at all if you answer "no" to everything on the medical form. So if you lie (I assume very few can answer no honestly on every single item), you don't even see a doctor. PADI says some local places do require a medical from a doctor. Anyone know where these places are? What about NAUI's and other agency's requirements?

I had to answer yes to a few questions and was doctor approved. Genetics is hard to beat.:wink:

I just love the water I mean pool,lake,ocean,spring you name it I have swam it. I am obsessed with the Ocean and anything to do with Islands. I watch any and all movies that have water shots.
Plus my dad was a diver so I have always had it in the back of my mind. I love to learn this sport and gain skills to better help me. I have furthered my education because I love the sport.

Back
Top Bottom