Quick Question to all...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DORSETBOY

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Ive been reading through previous threads and posts, is DIR about standardisation across the board?

WHat I mean by that is... does being a DIR Diver require you to have the identical configuration of kit as every other diver doing the same dive? Do you have to plan each dive in exactly the same way?

Thanks,

Greg

Hi Greg,

The way I understand it there are some taboo's in planning and some standardized gas mixes which are all based on mixing HE with EAN32 (that's why they choose these ones). Deco on 80% is one of the taboo's, for example. This obviously has a big impact on your planning.

As far as gear goes the utopia is standardization across the board.

R..

Diver0001:
Hi Greg,

The way I understand it there are some taboo's in planning and some standardized gas mixes which are all based on mixing HE with EAN32 (that's why they choose these ones). Deco on 80% is one of the taboo's, for example. This obviously has a big impact on your planning.

As far as gear goes the utopia is standardization across the board.

R..

I am sorry bit you do not do deco on 80%. You would start your deep stop at 80% of your max ATA.

scubajim1:
I am sorry bit you do not do deco on 80%. You would start your deep stop at 80% of your max ATA.

That was my point. Doing deco on 80% is taboo in the DIR system.

R..

DORSETBOY:
Ive been reading through previous threads and posts, is DIR about standardisation across the board?

WHat I mean by that is... does being a DIR Diver require you to have the identical configuration of kit as every other diver doing the same dive? Do you have to plan each dive in exactly the same way?

Thanks,

Greg
Basically yes it does require standardization across the board in regards to gear configuration and gas mixes used and the procedures used for a given dive. It is a very team oriented philosophy towards diving. There is a very good reason for this well thought out system. The problem is that too many people don't understand its history or reason for existing. DIR style of diving will work in all diving environments. Most of what is taught in recreational diving will not work in places where DIR philosophy really shines.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom