Randy Jordan found WWII era airplane wreck off Jupiter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which is why most divers have little use for the OCD types who are prevalent in "tech" circles....... we just want to dive not examine the minutiae of detail.Good Find boys.

Randy and some tech diver friends have been investigating a WWII era airplane wreck they found earlier this week. It was discovered at 185' depth, about 4 miles East of Jupiter. Some are speculating it could be one of the 5 lost Avengers from Flight 19.

Pretty cool discussions on Spearboard and on Emerald's Facebook page.
Randy's video
[video=youtube;8Tm0dwIZlEQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tm0dwIZlEQ&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Here's another video of the tech divers taking measurements.
[video=youtube;7Ucg2U35iWM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ucg2U35iWM&feature=player_embedded[/video]

I deleted the second video and updated with this one because there was a double clip in it:

Plane Wreck Off Jupiter Florida - YouTube It is not an Avenger from Flight 19, but still very cool.

What an awesome find. Hopefully they are able to figure out the story behind the plane. Someone needs to run a magnetometer over the area and see if there are any other planes around. If it was the squadron they would all be pretty close together. Of course this plane could have also just been dumped off a ship to dispose of it.

The ropes on the prop, are they from fishing nets or something else?

Not to be too picky but I sure wouldn't use the term "tech diver" for a guy diving a single tank (Albeit with a pony) and I didn't see a stage bottle, to 185' with a snorkel? Split fins are not used by any tech divers I know either. :hm:

The ropes are lobster trap lines; a trap is shown near the engine.....all the tech divers I know would recognize the black lines and wooden box as a lobster trap..:wink:

As for the gear choices...I just got that Scuba Pro Bc off the classified section of this board....I didn't feel like switching out the radio and all other accessories to the BP/W just because I was carry a slung deco bottle (which was, heaven forbid; on the RIGHT side)...... As for the snorkel...:shakehead::shakehead:

And the fins... one guy has split fins and a big ass scooter and the other has long fiberglass freedive fins and a big ass. ...Does it really matter?

Merry Xmas Dump your video has improved and for good reason as this is the best I seen from ya, must be nice to be first divers, what a feeling!!!

Thanks! That little Go Pro camera with a Mako flat lens is pretty incredible.

We dove late in the day, the surface visibility was only like 30 feet so it was kinda dark at depth, yet it came out pretty well. If you look closely, there is a small distortion near the center of the image. I suspect the camera housing is flexing inward and contacting the internal round lens. 185 is kinda pushing the depth limits for that housing.

Last edited:
Yea I over pressured mine and the buttons stick, I'm out the door now for Xmas dive with other camera 50F right now and windy, water is ruff but what the "HECK".

And I guess if there is to be a debate on tech diving I am sure schubasteve will be along as he was one of the divers.

It should be pointed out that the two videos shown were not shot on the same day, same boat or the same group of divers for that matter. Randy, myself Phil and Dave DeBerard found the wreck on Tuesday 12/20. The news is like, 'they were out on a regular scuba dive'... not really. We were on a planned tech dive with doubles and stage tanks and setup to go to 185' properly- We have all been trained in deco procedures and extended range . As you can see in the second video, not everyone dives with the same equipment or level of preparation. There is no such thing as scuba police right? so anyone can dive however they feel... I would also point out that I reserve the right NOT to dive with folks geared up in single tanks for a 185' dive. If you’re interested in this dive, its SWEET! Get the proper training and equipment and come explore the deep end for a change

Here is one of my favorite Randy Jordan videos. Regulator malfunctions at 125', no problem. :wink:

Congrats Guys.
Thanks for sharing your discovery.
So cool that there is a mystery to unravel now on how the plane got there.
Anything that adds a line or a page to the story of that time is welcome.

As far as the tech angle........:letsparty:
Whatever.
You guys are all of course lucky to be alive as you have been doing it all wrong for well over 30 years or so.

Why are you kidding yourselves?
What makes you think you are actually competent divers with THOUSANDS OF DIVES...:rofl3:

Und der schnorkle....MEIN GOTT!!!
:reaper: awaits surely.

Chug
Can't wait to see that one, und I am bringing mein schnorkle ven I do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom