Randy Jordan found WWII era airplane wreck off Jupiter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It should be pointed out that the two videos shown were not shot on the same day, same boat or the same group of divers for that matter. Randy, myself Phil and Dave DeBerard found the wreck on Tuesday 12/20. The news is like, 'they were out on a regular scuba dive'... not really. We were on a planned tech dive with doubles and stage tanks and setup to go to 185' properly- We have all been trained in deco procedures and extended range . As you can see in the second video, not everyone dives with the same equipment or level of preparation. There is no such thing as scuba police right? so anyone can dive however they feel... I would also point out that I reserve the right NOT to dive with folks geared up in single tanks for a 185' dive. If you’re interested in this dive, its SWEET! Get the proper training and equipment and come explore the deep end for a change

Some folks might have a similar reticence to dive 185 feet with you if you are going to plan your big tech dives using AIR for a bottom gas. :no:

How deep do you plan to dive without adding some Helium? :shocked2:

I couldn't help but notice all the Lionfish. I hope they dispatched them. :comeandgetsome:
Randy actually invented the "Lion Tamer" as well as some tasty recipes. I am on a wireless device so to difficult to upload links. But google or go to Emeralds home page or Randy/Emeralds Face book.

The story ran on CNN this morning. Congrats to Randy and all. Shcubasteve and DD, NICE! As I told Randy on his FB page, beats the press you get when you have a finger bitten off. :)

@Scott: My favorite Randy video is the one where he rescues the speared Goliath. (google it folks or head to you tube and search. Worth it)

I see randy's boat is different, no numbers, a regular charter. So randy must not be a commercial fisherman.

About the Lionfish, why not bait them in a Trap. If so many must be able to lure them in.
Or have lion fish spearo contest with cash prize every week.

Thanks! Went back yesterday with much worse conditions... 20 ft visibility in the top of the water column, over cast and later in the afternoon.... It was pretty dark... about the limit of what the camera can do with ambient light.

Spearfishing on a Jupiter Plane Wreck - YouTube
Wow!!!
Great job with the video. Regarding all the lionfish, Rodney of Bar Harbor Seafood "WANTS" LIONFISH to begin the commercial supply of many high end restaurants, including the Hilton on Singer Island ( which has been requesting Lionfish to serve for some time now). If you shoot a bunch, call Rodney at 954-400-9217 and see if you can get more supply to them....the deal is, if we can get a critical mass going of commercial demand for restaurants, the lionfish will soon be as scarce as that nice Hog you were thrilled to find on the plane :)

You know that lionfish are now part of the ecosystem as they fill the void by the overfished groupers, snappers and other predatory fish. It is well known among scientists that once an an invasive species becomes established it becomes part of the ecosystem and when they are removed it disturbs the balance of that ecosystem. Having large numbers of lionfish means that there are large numbers of fish that are reproducing and that means that the ecosystem is healthy because lionfish would die off if the the native fish populations were declining. If divers could relax and let nature take its course then things would achieve balance. Of the Caribbean reefs undisturbed by man, there are many lionfish but also many other species of fish present. Of the Caribbean reefs that are disturbed by man there are far less fish overall and the coral is unhealthy. So for this reason I believe that man is far more destructive the the Caribbean coral reefs than the lionfish.

You know that lionfish are now part of the ecosystem as they fill the void by the overfished groupers, snappers and other predatory fish. It is well known among scientists that once an an invasive species becomes established it becomes part of the ecosystem and when they are removed it disturbs the balance of that ecosystem. Having large numbers of lionfish means that there are large numbers of fish that are reproducing and that means that the ecosystem is healthy because lionfish would die off if the the native fish populations were declining. If divers could relax and let nature take its course then things would achieve balance. Of the Caribbean reefs undisturbed by man, there are many lionfish but also many other species of fish present. Of the Caribbean reefs that are disturbed by man there are far less fish overall and the coral is unhealthy. So for this reason I believe that man is far more destructive the the Caribbean coral reefs than the lionfish.
I agree with this partially....Because Sharks and the other top level predators have been wiped out by commercial fishing, the mid and low level predators exploded, and have wiped out many of the herbivores--this allowing huge algal growths on many reefs...this killing the reef corals, and ultimate destroying the entire reef habitat.

The Lionfish are assisting in the balancing of many of the species that overpopulated due to no higher predators remaining---but are not discriminating enough to be entirely a useful solution short term..Moreover, because there is still very little predation on Lionfish ( only a tiny bit by Jewfish or sharks), they SHOULD NOT BE just left alone --they would overpopulate without any balance potential, and would then eat all the fish, not just the over-populated low and mid level predators in juvenile form.

Where we see as many Lionfish as the plane, I think "harvesting commerically" would be good for the balance, and also take some pressure off of spearfisherman shooting hogsnappers for the big bucks...the restaurants will likely pay as much per pound for Lionfish as for hogfish. I would rather see 6 more of the hogfish like DD shot ( as I may have :) and 1/4 of the Lionfish left to swim around....

As to the sustainability of the Lionfish, on the Race to the Bottom of the Sea project I was on 2 weeks ago, a sub driver for one of the Triton subs was at around 900 feet by some reef, and said it was covered in Lionfish!!! In other words, there will always be a "re-charge zone" for Lionfish, even if they become commercially viable....No one will be buying 20 million dollar subs to go 1000 feet down with to shoot a dozen lion fish with each dive :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom