Randy Jordan found WWII era airplane wreck off Jupiter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my dad has been gone now for about 8-9 years, he was older, died at the age of 76 back then. He was training with Navy planes out of the Daytona area around the WWII era.

He said that he ditched one in the water as he and his buddy did not "officially" log it out so they could go hot dogging. Dad was full of stories, this he gave as the reason he had his knuckles replaced due to his hands going up under the instrument panel. His story continued in he and his buddy exhausting all of the chocolate, cigarettes etc... in the life raft, thinking they would be soon rescued and then being stuck out there for about three days due to not having logged out the plane to beging with...

Dad was originally from Orlando, turns out some of his crazy stories may have been true. He raced at Daytona during the Paul Newman years in the Pepsi 24hrs. He would race his car around Ocala especially Sharpes Ferry Road to practice at night. Had a 67 Shelby Mustang until his crew chief wrapped it around a tree on baseline road going to get another six pack one time... those kind of things...

He was a "humdinger" anyhoo.

Anyone have a way to give this info about his story and a plane... to the divers, his name was Richard Cannon Hughes Jr. he trained during WWII and the war ended just before he saw active duty. He WAS a Navy pilot, that is known. The plane is a Navy Hell Diver, I am getting my older brother the info too, so he can try and verify as he is a retired Navy officer, however, I just thought I would give this a shot too.

Thanks all, happy new year...

When I started looking at freediving a while back, I found this site, it has some listing for divers on it, some caves and springs only accessible by boat, may be of interest to you all too... Peace Jer 29:11 SwimmingHoles.info Florida Swimming Holes and Hot Springs rivers creek springs falls hiking camping outdoors and Search for Springs of Florida by Name Florida Springs Database Directory by County

I think you just did give the info to the divers. Great first post.

Can't imagine the feeling finding an aircraft like that. Great job with the videos and thanks a bunch for posting.

I do however find it hard to believe that the diver repairing his reg in the one other post, didn't burst into flames as he was using an Air ll or something similar.:wink:

Scott good deal My neighbors dad told me about bombing south pacific and when he comes to the island I was going to ask if he had any info, he is one of the last pilots alive and they have a museum at Boeing that he and like only a couple others show up to.

Scott with richards name it can be checked a close area and should have ID of what plane.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom