Rashes from diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dor1813

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi ladies

Have anyone experienced rashes all over especially on buttocks and legs, areas where its most tight wearing full suit? For me it happens after 3 dives.

I dive mostly in the tropics and am thinkin of wearing shorty or maybe dive skins so as to avoid the tightness on the legs.
Any thoughts?

Check out the Thermocline wetsuit from Fourth Element. It's a neutrally buoyant 2m. I have an allergy to the formaldehyde used in the wetsuit glue/seals and the Thermocline is hypo-allergenic. I just got it and used it in Maui - temps averaged 76 degrees. The second day I wore it under my 3m wetsuit. The Fourth Element stuff is amazingly well made and did I mention the Thermocline is machine washable? I highly recommend it to everyone. Hope that helps.

Dor, I have that reaction too with wetsuits. I've had to get steroid shots and steroid packs after breaking out so bad with rashes and hives. Yesterday I bought a drysuit to eliminate the problem after so much frustration with trying to find a wetsuit I could(n't) wear.

Zig, have you tried the Lavacore suit? I found that i am allergic to wetsuits. I was unable to find Thermocline suit but was recommended the lavacore suit which looks and feels identical. But I still had a reaction to the lavacore when I wore it under a new 3 mil suit. Also, how did you find out that it was the formaldehyde that you were allergic to? The allergist I went to basically just said there weren't any real tests for it and said to stay away from wetsuits. :-/

I have not tried the Lavacore. The Thermocline is almost a fleece like material underneath and is incredibly soft. Nothing that would cause an allergic reaction touches your skin and is thick enough to protect you from the wetsuit containing any irritants on top. I would contact Fourth Element and try find a retailer, I was lucky enough that my LDS carries the Fourth Element line.

I went to my dermatologist and had the allergy test. It's a bit uncomfortable since you have this huge patch covering your back for a few days. It's called the T.R.U.E. TEST Allergen Patch Test. It tests for something like 30 different irritants from Nickel Sulphate to Quinoline Mix. I tested positive specifically to p-tertiary-Butylphenol Formaldehyde Resin. It's found in a lot of the glues they use for shoes and specifically wetsuits. Unfortunately, there is no alternative since the resin glue has the waterproofing properties needed for the wetsuit. Hope that helps. Try to find a Thermocline I highly recommend it.

A LDS is technically a dealer of Thermocline. But he said there was a problem with them a while back and he had to send his whole inventory back and he didn't have anything good to say about them, and wasn't ordering any more. But he had one left that was not my size for me to look at and it is identical to the Lavacore, inside and out. I ended up purchasing one of those to try instead. But I still broke out in a rash. Maybe they still use the same chemicals that I am allergic to in the Lavacore, Idk. I just ran it through the wash a dozen times and am going to try it again. I hate to get rid of a new $225 suit. If it doesn't work, I'll try out the Thermocline. The Thermocline is actually marketed as hypoallergenic, whereas I've never seen the Lavacore marketed for that use.
I'll also go find a different dermatologist to get tested. Thanks for the info!

It's possible that you could have a folliculitis. How long does the rash last? Folliculitis is common on the buttocks.
To prevent, disinfect your wetsuits after each use. You could use a chlorhexidine wash for this. I'm not sure listening would work. If you have an older wetsuit, you might try a weak bleach solution. not sure id want to use bleach on a jice,new wetsuit.
Make sure the wetsuit is then given a chance to dry completely.

---------- Post added June 7th, 2013 at 04:04 PM ----------

Check out the Thermocline wetsuit from Fourth Element. It's a neutrally buoyant 2m. I have an allergy to the formaldehyde used in the wetsuit glue/seals and the Thermocline is hypo-allergenic. I just got it and used it in Maui - temps averaged 76 degrees. The second day I wore it under my 3m wetsuit. The Fourth Element stuff is amazingly well made and did I mention the Thermocline is machine washable? I highly recommend it to everyone. Hope that helps.
I wear a cheap, Lycra skin under any of my wetsuits. This could help to prevent rashes caused by allergy. Just make sure its a plain, Lycra skin. I love mine. It's great as a sunscreen and also helps a wet,wetsuit glide on easily, even if you're sticky with sweat. I won't dive a wetsuit without it!

---------- Post added June 7th, 2013 at 04:07 PM ----------

Dor, I have that reaction too with wetsuits. I've had to get steroid shots and steroid packs after breaking out so bad with rashes and hives. Yesterday I bought a drysuit to eliminate the problem after so much frustration with trying to find a wetsuit I could(n't) wear.

Zig, have you tried the Lavacore suit? I found that i am allergic to wetsuits. I was unable to find Thermocline suit but was recommended the lavacore suit which looks and feels identical. But I still had a reaction to the lavacore when I wore it under a new 3 mil suit. Also, how did you find out that it was the formaldehyde that you were allergic to? The allergist I went to basically just said there weren't any real tests for it and said to stay away from wetsuits. :-/
You can always do a patch test. Tape a piece of neoprene to your skin and wear it for a day or so. I bet your dive shop would have a scrap piece they could give you. It only needs to be about the size of a dime.

---------- Post added June 7th, 2013 at 04:11 PM ----------

If it turns out you are allergic, do not keep exposing yourself to the allergen. Comtact allergies can become quite serious. I actually had a patient with a latex allergy who went into anaphylactic shock when a glove was used while a foley catheter was being placed. We didn't know she had this allergy, she told us about it after things settled down and she was back with us. She did, however, have more allergies than anybody I've ever seen, so who knows!

Does this happen with short, shallow dives or only on "beefier" dives? Have you checked to make sure the rash doesn't look like skin bends?

If it happens after 3 dives, are you keeping the wetsuit on all day? or removing it and drying out between dives?

Nic

It happens to me too. I just got back from a week's diving and have it worse than ever. Since I dive every weekend, I am thinking my wetsuit never gets an opportunity to thoroughly dry out. I think I will start soaking it in Listerine water and see if that makes a difference. Listerine has worked in the past to get out any funky aromas, so it has to be bacteria in the common rinse bucket that I rinse my suit in after diving.

You should really think about allowing the suit to dry in direct sunlight, inside out. The UV light is not good for the suit, but I think it helps kill the bad bugs. We have also found this to be very effective... a squirt or two of liquid dial (anti-bacterial) soap into the suit and arms and legs before putting it on. Keeps the stink down a lot on multi-day trips, where the inside of the suit may never dry completely. Don't get it in the hood, it will burn your eyes.

Need to be careful with anti-bacterial products. If they contain alcohol can be very bad for the wetsuit glue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom