recommendation for AOW school in South FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sufur:

South Florida as a lot of great instructors... You definately won't have to leave the Fort Lauderdale area to find what you need. Whether it is Lauderdale Divers, Kevin, Pro Dive or one of the many very good independent instructors in the area, I definately second the names mentioned above.

Additional factors you should consider are:

1. What modules do you want to do on top of Nav and Deep? You have a choice between just doing the minimum to get the card or really gaining experience/exposure to areas that might become genuine areas of focus for your future diving. If you are serious about making diving a life long passion, don't settle for the "square fillers" like boat and underwater naturist/fish ID. Go for peak performance bouyancy (unless you already have both depth control and trim nailed) and consider night, wreck, drysuit, underwater video and underwater photography. All dives that will open up a world of possibilities that enhance your overall diving experiences. Then, pick the one you think will benefit you the most and complete the entire specialty then and there! You will narrow the list of locations/instructors fairly quickly if you choose first WHAT YOU WANT TO LEARN and then only consider those that can both equip for and teach the subject. For example, Pro Dive has tropical drysuits, SEA&SEA cameras and Gates video housings, but they don't have DPVs. So, if underwater imaging or drysuit diving is a high priority (because you will be including cold or intensive temperate water diving like the Galapagos), Pro Dive should be high on your list. If, instead, the DPV dive is the one you have your heart set on, Brownies should definately be on our short list.

2. Where is the dive boat they are going to put you on going the days you will be doing your program? Your instructor is important, but so is your dive location. Don't just ask about what you are going to learn, ask where they are going to teach it to you. You have a right to know why the location they have chosen for you is particularly well suited for those particular dives.

3. Parking (Is it free? Is it right next to the boat or several blocks away?) While there are worse things in life, it is no fun having to drag gear long distances in the heat and humidity of Florida in the summer. Several of the local dive boats have onsite parking... Several do not!

4. What additional scuba toys do you want to play with while you are doing your program? Ask about additional equipment available for demo while you are there... The AOW experience is your personal smorgasbord (did I spell that right?) of diving, make the most of it. Go someplace where you can look, touch and play with lift bags, u/w video cameras, full face masks, dpv's and anything else you want to learn about.

There is absolutely no doubt that a high quality instructor is always important! You are very lucky that Fort Lauderdale has so many to choose from... It frees you to pick the program and modules that best suit who you are, what you want to learn and the diver you will become...

Be sure to let us know what you decide to do and how it goes!!!

P

Last edited:
well when i first started looking into doing it. thats what i picked the things i wanted to do then i started looking. only problem is i couldnt find a school that offered rentals of the things i wanted to do. problem is i want to do a ton of things DPV, video, night dive, enriched air, peak performance buoyancy..

im planning on getting a HD cam as soon as i get home probably a canon HF s10 but i likely wont get a housing for it till later this year.

i am also on a extremely limited schedule. i am off for a month. but i have my daughter who i havent seen in over a year and im traveling around with her. i will really only be by myself in ft lauderdale june 22-26 then i fly out on the 27th i think a lot of the schools have a set schedule they do the classes on.

Give The Scuba School & Dive Center a call.. There in Ft. Lauderdale, very nice, helpful...

Back
Top Bottom