Reg choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have Scubapro MK25/S600 for 12 years & made 575 dives with it. It's still going strong.

@stuartv you said any manufacturer that won't sell you a service kit. Hollis will not sell you a service kit. You can get Apeks and Scubapro on ebay, but that doesn't change the manufacturer policy.
Apeks is under Aqualung so all of their techs should be trained to do both. If you can't find an Aqualung dealer wherever you are going, you clearly didn't look. My recommendation for Apeks was to support local business, as well as have a regulator that is easily serviced worldwide. My concern with Deep6 is the same as it is with HOG and Dive Rite, sure there are techs that can, but will they for liability reasons?

the one chevron of orange is that offensive to you? I don't like orange either, but that's a little pedantic imho.

I concede your points. You all have convinced me that, for traveling, it would better to buy one of the big name brands.

As for buying parts, I did say "from the manufacturer." But, what I really meant was being able to buy service kits reasonably easily. If you can get service kits on eBay for Apeks and ScubaPro, then they would be fine with me. I have never owned those, so I've never looked for kits. I've just read on here people talking about not being able to buy service kits or parts from those.

As for my aversion to orange, I don't see how that fits the definition of pedantic, but whatever. I freely admit that it's a totally dumb reason to avoid a particular piece of gear. But, it's not like I'm telling other people to avoid it. I was actually recommending the OP consider them!

I concede your points. You all have convinced me that, for traveling, it would better to buy one of the big name brands.

As for buying parts, I did say "from the manufacturer." But, what I really meant was being able to buy service kits reasonably easily. If you can get service kits on eBay for Apeks and ScubaPro, then they would be fine with me. I have never owned those, so I've never looked for kits. I've just read on here people talking about not being able to buy service kits or parts from those.

As for my aversion to orange, I don't see how that fits the definition of pedantic, but whatever. I freely admit that it's a totally dumb reason to avoid a particular piece of gear. But, it's not like I'm telling other people to avoid it. I was actually recommending the OP consider them!

As a Hokie, your aversion to orange bugs me......just saying.

As for DGX selling Hollis reg kits, that's certainly new. I'm a Hollis-certified reg technician and I can't buy service kits from Hollis as I'm no longer affiliated with a Hollis-shop.

Chris's point about why shops often take so long to service regs is one of the two main problems I've run across. The other is that they actually outsource the regs, and it's not unlikely that they forgot to ship them out. The shop I worked at often outsourced the work until a couple of us took a Reg service course. After that, we serviced regs we could get kits for (as long as one of us was available)....others got outsourced to DRIS (I think).

Next time you're in this area, let me know. Bring a couple of service kits and I'll teach you to service your own regs...it's an absolutely critical skill for Tech divers to have.

As a Hokie, your aversion to orange bugs me......just saying.

As for DGX selling Hollis reg kits, that's certainly new. I'm a Hollis-certified reg technician and I can't buy service kits from Hollis as I'm no longer affiliated with a Hollis-shop.

Chris's point about why shops often take so long to service regs is one of the two main problems I've run across. The other is that they actually outsource the regs, and it's not unlikely that they forgot to ship them out. The shop I worked at often outsourced the work until a couple of us took a Reg service course. After that, we serviced regs we could get kits for (as long as one of us was available)....others got outsourced to DRIS (I think).

Next time you're in this area, let me know. Bring a couple of service kits and I'll teach you to service your own regs...it's an absolutely critical skill for Tech divers to have.

A Hokie?! Ha hahaa!! I'm surround by them here. Sadly, when I wear FSU gear, I think most people glance at it and assume it's either VT or Redskins gear.

My local shops are servicing my regs in house (Hollis are at one shop and DR are at a different shop). Not being able to get parts in a timely fashion is very frustrating.

DGX has had Hollis and DR kits on their site for months, at least.

I will definitely take you up on your offer. I would LOVE to be able to service my own. I just haven't had an opportunity to take a class. And, of course, the people around here that could teach me won't because of "liability". Thank you!

A Hokie?! Ha hahaa!! I'm surround by them here. Sadly, when I wear FSU gear, I think most people glance at it and assume it's either VT or Redskins gear.

My local shops are servicing my regs in house (Hollis are at one shop and DR are at a different shop). Not being able to get parts in a timely fashion is very frustrating.

DGX has had Hollis and DR kits on their site for months, at least.

I will definitely take you up on your offer. I would LOVE to be able to service my own. I just haven't had an opportunity to take a class. And, of course, the people around here that could teach me won't because of "liability". Thank you!

If you're an FSU fan, I might make wearing orange a prereq to taking my RegTech course :wink:

If you're an FSU fan, I might make wearing orange a prereq to taking my RegTech course :wink:

Well... I don't have any, and wouldn't you rather me spend money on buying you beer than buying an orange shirt that I'm only going to wear once? LOL

Can't even find a Gopro 4 charger in Playa.

Whoever recommended to me to get a doubles set, tear it down and make it a singles set, pack the extra 1st stage regulator, last year; Thankyou. That's exactly what I did.

Can't even find a Gopro 4 charger in Playa.

Whoever recommended to me to get a doubles set, tear it down and make it a singles set, pack the extra 1st stage regulator, last year; Thankyou. That's exactly what I did.

That sounds like something @tbone1004 regularly says....

Thanks for talking me out of a BCD as well. Went straight to a BP/W. No danglies, no Air2. Got a few weird looks, until we hit the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom