Regulator bungie for recreational diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With bp/wing it is better to route under a pocket on the waiste strap, or even a knife scabbard....Of course, a can light is ideal, but the other 2 choices cost little to nothing.

With a 50in hose on angle adapter? I don't think so because then that would reduce your 50in to 20in or less I would imagine. Assuming your hose even reaches that far down to hook around the sheath/can. You'd also have a much lower range of motion, remember there is no head loop with a 50in on angle adapter. You would not be able to donate forward to an OOA diver if you were in a horizontal position.

OK, just to be sure I understand - you have a SINGLE second stage, and it is bungeed around your neck? In an OOA situation you would pull the bungeed second stage off your head (from around your neck) and give it to an OOA diver, then use you BCD inflator to breath from?

Say it isn't so! IF that is truly the case, your LDS owner is being kind. Who taught you / suggested to you to use that configuration? You would NOT ever DM for an OW class that I teach with that configuration. Of course, if I misunderstood your post, my previous comments can be ignored. I really want to believe that there is a misunderstanding here.

Yeah, people seem to be arguing hose lengths and other less important stuff, all the while ignoring the obvious issue....

I use a bungee necklace for my primary reg, but it's secured with a double fisherman's knot so the reg can be pulled off with a strong tug. My octo is secured in the traditional way to a D ring of the BC.

The idea here is that my primary reg is always near the mouth and I never have to look for it when diving. On the other hand in unplanned circumstance such as a panicked diver it can be pulled off to share air. In this case I would just breathe off my octo. In most cases of an out of air buddy I just donate my octo and breathe off my primary.

The idea of using a bungee necklace was borrowed from DIR but I adopted it for recreational diving without using long hose.

Thank you to everyone for your candid thoughts on my post. I will not bungee my primary because that is the one that I would donate in an out of air situation. I do not have a secondary regulator on a 3-7 foot hose, and therefore until I purchase one, I will remain with the current system, donating my primary and using my air 2 on my b/c for me and not putting the bungee back on. (Btw, I have seen the bungee necklaces and the bungees that can be made using the fishermans knot) I could be your buddy at some point in time and I don't ever want to put either one of us in danger. I'm not a rule bender, I play by the rules and safety standards. I was going to hit "like" on all of your posts, but that seemed a bit of work so let me say again, I appreciate the feedback from everyone of you!!! I guess I didn't need the fire extinguisher, u have all been so informative, thought provoking, educational and kind!!

---------- Post Merged at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:10 PM ----------

I'll never understand (or agree) with what is done in that picture. Why would a person secure the bungee using the same zip tie that is securing the mouthpiece?

Steve, When I did have mine set up, I had two zip ties, one holding the mouthpiece on and a second for the bungee. I just wanted to clarify that because introducing one bungee and a mouthpiece on one zip tie would seem to be courting additional problems.

---------- Post Merged at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:10 PM ----------

I love having my backup on a bungee around my neck. If I ever need it, it's right there :)!

But agree with others, if you dive this hose configuration - it's best to have a 5' or 7' primary hose to donate to your buddy if needed. I also would recommend diving with someone who also uses this system so they can show you an S drill (the most efficient way to donate a long hose)

Kathy I have seen the S drills, and if I ever do get the longer hose configuration, I will need the additional training. I have a few people I can train under, thanks for your offer!!

---------- Post Merged at 11:39 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:10 PM ----------

OK, just to be sure I understand - you have a SINGLE second stage, and it is bungeed around your neck? In an OOA situation you would pull the bungeed second stage off your head (from around your neck) and give it to an OOA diver, then use you BCD inflator to breath from?

Say it isn't so! IF that is truly the case, your LDS owner is being kind. Who taught you / suggested to you to use that configuration? You would NOT ever DM for an OW class that I teach with that configuration. Of course, if I misunderstood your post, my previous comments can be ignored. I really want to believe that there is a misunderstanding here.

Colliam, I do need to clarify to save you from having a stroke. I have a ScubaPro Glide b/c with air 2 integrated. I would never just breath off only the air in my b/c, I don't want to end up 6 feet under if they can do a body recovery because I suffocated myself. I understand in extreme OOA situations that can be done for one or two breaths, however I have no plans to test it!!!

Deb, I'm glad you took the bungie off your primary -- you had misunderstood the system. But please make sure you don't have a standard 24" hose on your primary reg, if you are going to use the Air2 as backup. There is a reason the secondary, when it is donated, is on a 36 or 40 inch hose, and that is because 24" jams the two sharing divers together, and creates a real risk of the OOA diver losing the reg if the two of you lose grip on one another at all. It's also uncomfortable, and that adds to stress.

This really is the reason why donate the primary people almost all end up going to a wrapped hose of some kind. If you put your primary reg on an octo-length hose, you have a HUGE loop of hose sticking out around you, or, to route the hose under your arm and keep it neat, you have to put an angle adapter on the hose/second stage attachment, to allow the regulator to sit comfortably in your mouth. On the other hand, the wrapped 5' hose, since it comes around behind your neck, sits well in the mouth without an adapter, and it has no big loops sticking out anywhere. And yes, you need to practice a bit with a wrapped hose, to learn to deploy and restow it neatly.

I have my octo on a yellow rubber necklace purchased from my local LDS. If I have the opportunity to donate,
I can easily remove it with a small pull. If someone yanks my reg out of my mouth, I have my octo right under
my chin to use.

I have my octo on a yellow rubber necklace purchased from my local LDS. If I have the opportunity to donate,I can easily remove it with a small pull. If someone yanks my reg out of my mouth, I have my octo right under my chin to use.

That's the same thing I said I do, as I mistakenly thought the OP was using something similar. But with the pics that have been posted it seems clear that people are talking about tying a bungee permanently to the octo, which is something entirely different--one of those DIR things, I guess. Nobody has directly replied to my question of whether they see anything wrong with the way you and I do it, and I assumed that's because our method is sort of irrelevant to this discussion of permanently tied octos.

I will say that having the octo bungeed under your chin is far more preferable to me than having it in the so-called golden triangle. And that's due to seeing divers who think the triangle starts somewhere around their right butt cheek. Where it gets ripped out of the scumball they are using to hold it or the stupid little clip that slides up and down the hose. Or worse are the ones who think that the ocean is the holder. They must cause it sure is dangling around in it.

I do not have a secondary regulator on a 3-7 foot hose, and therefore until I purchase one, I will remain with the current system, donating my primary and using my air 2 on my b/c for me and not putting the bungee back on.

Just making sure you are clear that the long hose (I recommend 5 feet instead of 7, but 44 inches could be enough if you're more comfy) is for the primary, not the secondary. If you replace your integrated octo inflator at some point with a separate second stage, a standard length hose is all you need. That's the one that gets bungied under your chin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom