Removing items from the USS Oriskany (interesting dilemma)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dennis:
Hey you guys, this argument is going nowhere. The big picture here is to raise awareness about the problem. I assume the right people have the names now and they will conduct, I hope, an investigation.

There is an investigation in progress.

Diver Dennis:
Hey you guys, this argument is going nowhere. The big picture here is to raise awareness about the problem. I assume the right people have the names now and they will conduct, I hope, an investigation.
I quite agree Dennis. What has been done is done. There is no need to keep this up. We all learned something here and we don't need to continue so as to harass.

Oriskany Divemaster:
There is an investigation in progress.

Is it possible for you to update us on the status of the investigation?

I don't trust him if this guy doesn't know the law after that many years of operating. I was on a dive @ Myrtle Beach and the DM asked us to check all shells for life. When I brought a huge conk shell onboard he asked if it had been inspected. I stated the truth that I had looked and not found anything. While showing it off the hugest hermit crab I have ever seen came crawling out. I was asked to return it to the sea and complied. So my big question is this: If the item was taken, why not put it back???? I mean really I think that would be the best solution and this Capt. should make the effort to make it happen!

msedivingdoc:
So my big question is this: If the item was taken, why not put it back???? I mean really I think that would be the best solution and this Capt. should make the effort to make it happen!

Kinda hard to just "put something back" it took a hacksaw or a crowbar to remove...

I am sure that I will dive with the captain at least once: just to meet him and see how he runs his boat. I might use a ficticious name, however. :D

vikingdiving:
but the main difference is the fact that unlike most on this board, I am a diving professional and this is my business, not just a occasional activity.

You are so right! We are all just a buch of fat, lazy men and women who do nothing all day but sit in front of the computer like teenagers in a chat room, hoping one day to be as cool and sucessfull as you! Get a f-ing clue dude!

A good majority of the people on SB (correct me if I'm wrong NetDoc) are diving professionals who live, breathe and would die for the sport. I myself have been in the industry for almost 7 years, Yeah, I know I'm not the veteran you are....however I also have shared a beer with Jean Michelle. Sorry to burst your bubble.

You boast of your education, Cousteau, blah, blah...but you still have not answered the questions asked of you. Instead of baffling us with BS, stand up and tell the truth, right or wrong.

A boat captain is ultimately responsible for what happens on his vessel. That's why when things go bad, your vessel can be seized, even though it wasn't "your fault". What you knowingly allowed to happen, and I suppose will continue to allow is nothing but wrong. Perhaps the "Viking" could become the newest wreck in Pensacolla. Oh what goodies we all could salvage!!!

***PLEASE EXCUSE ANY SPELLING MISTAKES AS I AM REALLY PISSED RIGHT NOW AND DIDN'T USE SPELL CHECK******

Mike Rushton

NetDoc:
I am sure that I will dive with the captain at least once: just to meet him and see how he runs his boat. I might use a ficticious name, however. :D

Not me Pete. Not one dollar, and I'll be diving the O here in the next month or so. BTW, off subject, tell Capt. Jim and Capt. John at Loggerhead I said hi. Classy bunch and great dives.

mike_s:
Perrone,

they must have deleted the message because it's not there anymore. I just went and looked in their archinve for it. Pretty cheezy if they deleted it.

(either that ir it self deleted when you removed your name from the list).
Nothing has been deleted (I am the list admin). Some of Perrone's messages are in the archive. These messages pre-date the actual report being referenced in this thread, but are consistent with Perrone's comments in his post early in this thread. Based on that, I do not believe there are any missing messages in the Yahoo group archive.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=2107068&postcount=44

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/techdiver-SE/message/4443

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/techdiver-SE/message/4438

The original message was message 4515.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/techdiver-SE/message/4515

There are no missing Yahoo group message numbers from that message up to message 4588 which is the latest message. When messages are deleted, the Yahoo message numbers are not resequenced and the gap in numbers would show up.

To say that the original message was met with approval is not entirely correct. A quick look at the archives shows no direct replies to that message.

I did not approve of removing items from the wreck, but did not see any benefit in trying to discuss it by e-mail. It was not likely to change his opinion or behavior.

Having said all of that, it will benefit the diving community if this thread and actions that derive from it will result in this type of behavior being stopped or at least discouraged....

David

Back
Top Bottom