Replacing my beloved fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikemill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I took the UTD Doubles Mini with Don and Mike G and sadly my force fins weren't going to move me with any forward kick but the flutter (Back kick is still ok thankfully). So now I have to look at getting a new pair of fins.

My LDS carries the HOG Classic Tech Fins with Spring Strap and Hollis F-1 Technical Diving Fin

My main concern is that previous closed toe fins have caused quite a bit of discomfort while surface kicking so that would be something I'd want to address. Does anyone have any review or opinions about those two fins? Is there another fin I should look at for moving the doubles?

Jets (XL if they will fit)
Turtles if the Jets wont

Rumor is there will be a Jets size between XL (fits my size 9 DUI turboboots) and XXL -- fits damily of 8 (and their dog/kitchen sink)

If the jets are causing discomfort they are probably a wrong size or spring straps were too tight

XXL OMS Slipstreams work great if the XL Jetfins are too small. They are the size the XXL Jets should have been.

The OMS Slipstream is a monoprene version of theJetfin and feels the same in the water with one mnor excpetion. They are stiffer overall, but you don't feel it in a frog kick, it is however noticeable when back kicking where it gets a bit more bite and backs a bit better.

What is the deal with monoprene? It is a fully synthetic polymer? will it last longer than natural rubber? Will it get noticably harder in cold water? Is it cheaper? I am hearing about the use of it more commonly in fins, but I really don't know aything about the material itself.

Just making sure I know the products you are talking about:
Jets: ScubaPro Jet Fins, Black?
Turtle: XS Scuba FN305 Turtle Scuba Fin?

Yups.
I know a lot like the Hollis. I have never used it but put one on on land. For me the springs felt too "springy" -- but they were not really adjusted for my foot, and the blade felt a little too floppy for my liking.

Turtles --- I have heard some people say they are harder to fin backwards compared ot Jets

The OMS fins I have no experience of

What is the deal with monoprene? It is a fully synthetic polymer? will it last longer than natural rubber? Will it get noticably harder in cold water? Is it cheaper? I am hearing about the use of it more commonly in fins, but I really don't know aything about the material itself.

Jets have been known to last 30 years and i THINK have a lifetime warranty.
If you need longer than that then you are more "man" than I :)

I think any of the fins you've listed will work. I'm hearing a lot of good things about the Hollis fins, from people who have bought them. I'm still a Jet fin person, but I'll admit that the tops of my toes get irritated from long surface swims in them. I solve that by avoiding long surface swims . . .

I have dived and owned Jets, Turtles, and Slipstreams. In fact, I purchased my latest drysuit with a certain style of boots specifically so I could use them with the Slipstreams.

This past week-end I tried a pair of Hollis F1's. I fell in love with them ... now all I have to do is figure out how to break up with a pair of Slipstreams that I just purchased two months ago ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Another vote for the F1s.The foot pocket is roomy, and better shaped than jets.

Some people who fall in the XL - XXL Jet gap may find they are in the same position with the F1s. My XXL F1s are marginally too big (particularly the spring strap adjustment) but XLs would have been too small.

I may change my mind when the mid-sized Jets are released.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom