Rescue Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the horse's mouth ...

Link to PADI's Rescue Diver course : Rescue Diver

To do the PADI Rescue course you neew EFR or First Adi and CPR from another agenct and 20 logged dives to do the course. You have book work and pool work to do along with open water senarios. The time you spend in the rescue course should be informatiove and fun.

To do the PADI Rescue course you neew EFR or First Adi (sic) and CPR from another agenct (sic) and 20 logged dives to do the course. You have book work and pool work to do along with open water senarios. The time you spend in the rescue course should be informatiove (sic) and fun.
Nope! If you read the rest of the thread, you will see that the only pre-requisites that PADI impose are AOW and EFR (or equivalent).

They only require 20 dives if the 'AOW' comes from another agency; not the EFR.

I read the rescue course description on the PADI site and I didn't see any reference to number of dives regardless of certifying agency.

It would even appear that a NAUI Advanced Open Water would qualify and there doesn't appear to be any mention of dives.

Did I miss it?

How odd! This very day I had 2 PADI instructors state that there was a 20 dive requirement at the completion of the class.

I wonder if they hide the details in the instructors manual.

Richard

That's what my instructor said too - but no one ever asked me to show any indication of the number of dives I had, or even proof of completing AOW. So, overall, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

Here's a few pictures from my class last week. That water was COLD!!!! My drysuit kept me warm, but man, my face was another story. I didn't think I was going to continue after the first "dive". I kept thinking, "I've got $500 into this, I gotta complete, gotta complete...." :)

Attachments

• rs_class_1_web.jpg
    rs_class_1_web.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 66
  • rd_class_2_web.jpg
    rd_class_2_web.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 60
  • rd_class_3_web.jpg
    rd_class_3_web.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 57
  • rd_class_4_web.jpg
    rd_class_4_web.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 58
That's what my instructor said too - but no one ever asked me to show any indication of the number of dives I had, or even proof of completing AOW. So, overall, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

Here's a few pictures from my class last week. That water was COLD!!!! My drysuit kept me warm, but man, my face was another story. I didn't think I was going to continue after the first "dive". I kept thinking, "I've got $500 into this, I gotta complete, gotta complete...." :)

Wow, what a beautiful spot to dive! What was the temperature in the water? I get icecream headaches sometimes in my drysuit, but I guess compared to diving in my wetsuit, small price to pay :p

Wow, what a beautiful spot to dive! What was the temperature in the water? I get icecream headaches sometimes in my drysuit, but I guess compared to diving in my wetsuit, small price to pay
Water temp was 4C, air temp was about -2C. That's uh.......39F and 28F respectively.

If it was me and I have thought about going with the RD cert, but to be honest I put a limit on me I dont feel I could be an effective rescue diver if I dont have many logged dives,mostly because I think the person doing the rescue/recovery should be pretty comfortable in the environment they will be doing a rescue in and should be fluent in diving,
No need for the rescuer to be become a rescuee..Get some dives in in different environments and different situations. Someones life may depend on it..

Water temp was 4C, air temp was about -2C. That's uh.......39F and 28F respectively.

Celsius is easier for me :wink: Jez that is cold.

If it was me and I have thought about going with the RD cert, but to be honest I put a limit on me I dont feel I could be an effective rescue diver if I dont have many logged dives,mostly because I think the person doing the rescue/recovery should be pretty comfortable in the environment they will be doing a rescue in and should be fluent in diving,No need for the rescuer to be become a rescuee..Get some dives in in different environments and different situations. Someones life may depend on it..
I don't agree with your thinking here. It seems to be from the perspective that having completed RD training means someone could/should/will advertise, "hey, I'm an RD, I can rescue you if needed" for one reason or another. I don't think that's really the point of getting an RD cert at all.

Think about it another way. You and your dive buddy might be at depth and your buddy develops a serious problem - or you might come across someone at depth who is having a serious problem. Hell, you might even get to the surface and there is a problem. In all of these cases, it might just be you and your buddy. That's it! Wouldn't it be better to have learned some skills that you might be able to use, and give that person the best possible chance of recovery? I can tell you that from my perspective, if the choice is to just leave me there or DO SOMETHING (assuming it is safe for you to do so), I'm going to hope you do something. Adequate care given is better than perfect care not given. You buddy or whomever doesn't even need to know you have an RD cert - but if the skills are needed when it matters, hopefully you can execute them and help someone out.

I don't think taking the RD class is useful though unless you take the time to practice the skills. Having recently completed my RD class, I'm setting the goal of "revisiting" the scenarios and practicing those skills at least once per year. Hopefully I can find some people interested in doing it with me. We'll see how it goes I guess.

Cheers!
nd

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom