Rescue Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would recommend training for it. Not that it is absolutely necessary if you're in decent shape, but you'll get more out of it if you are in great shape. And if it motivates you to get into killer shape, and stay that way (what the training organizations call your "physical readiness" and urge you to maintain as a Rescue Diver), all the better.

The course is demanding, and taxes both your cardiovascular and your muscular fitness. In addition, it also makes diving specific demands, such as your swimming ability.

My recommendation, and one I have given to numerous students taking the class, is this:

Do some form of resistance training. Focus on functional stuff like squat, deadlift, lunges, pushups and pullups, rather than biceps curls and lateral raises. Circuit training or Crossfit is great for diving. If you're unsure of the exercises, get a good trainer to show you. Do this at least twice a week.

Do some form of cardiovascular training. Do this two to three days a week. Mix it up. Running is good, rowing is good, cross-country skiing, if you live in an area that gets snow. Martial arts, soccer, and the like works, too. Every week, try to make at least one of your cardio sessions a water-based one. Swim both with and without fins, and really push yourself.

Don't forget to stretch. Traditional stretches work fine, or you can take a yoga class every now and again.

Remember the old army saying: hard training makes for easy fighting.

Enjoy your Rescue Diver, it's a lot of fun!

IMHO if you can't complete the Rescue Diver course without preparing, you shouldn't be diving in the first place. Yes, some exercises are strenous, but that's what you'll have to deal with in the real world.

I'm currently doing my rescue training with Silent World in Key Largo.

I signed up for the "rescue plus" which is a 7 day course involving EFR (regular, child, AED), PADI O2, 5 DAN courses (O2, Adv O2, Neuro assessment, when squids attack, and AED), and up to 6 dives.

I have my last two days starting tomorrow, which will be the ocean dives/scenarios.

With this next dive being only my 16th, the ocean being 10 degrees colder than it was last time and having to incorporate all five DAN courses as well, it should be a very interesting weekend :shocked2:

I'll hopefully have a story to tell on Monday.

Finished my rescue cert this weekend :D

It was definitely a workout for me towing someone back in current, but I managed and I'm not in the best shape...this weekend showed me I need to keep working on my fitness. Current w/ 3 foot seas w/ 50+ yard tow is very different than a pool :wink:

I'm glad I stuck to the method of going under and coming up from behind for a panicked diver. It worked for the best for me. That way I don't have to worry about trying to grab an arm to swing them around etc when they come at you.

For towing I prefer sliding my arm in and holding their shoulder strap. It keeps me face to face and if they panic I can prevent them from flipping to either side.

All in all, great course. I learned a lot and very happy to have done it. I recommend it to all divers.

IMHO if you can't complete the Rescue Diver course without preparing, you shouldn't be diving in the first place. Yes, some exercises are strenous, but that's what you'll have to deal with in the real world.

yea right... I mean I rescue at least 2 or 3 people every weekend. Sometimes I just swim out and grab someone and tow them back in. :shakehead:

While diving is not particularly strenuous while diving in general, it is the case that the more fit you are, the more you're going to enjoy the activity.

If you don't have a lot of strength, then carting gear is tiring. If you don't have good cardiovascular fitness then surface swims are tiring and result in being out of breath (and often elevated sac rates), and so on.

It is also the case that physical fitness reduces one's chances for a variety of diving related injuries, including DCS.

While you don't have to be in great shape for rescue. You are doing yourself a diservice as a diver (not to mention in your day to day life) if you fail to maintain the best physical fitness level you can.

I'm about to go through Rescue next month with a few buddies :) Can't wait.

I hear the panic dive drill is fun, my instructor friends are already telling me they can't wait to play that part on us LOL

I was told the real physical stuff comes in for Dive Master though... lots of treading water and such. Rescue, no so much.

Yeah they seemed to enjoy the panic portions...panic-on-surface, panic-underwater-and-trying-to-bolt-to-surface, unconscious-then-panic, calm-then-panic, sneak-up-behind-you-and-grab-the-regulator-out-of-your-mouth-b/c-they-ran-out-of-air-underwater-panic...it's great fun :wink:

Swimming and more swimming!!!

It's really not that tough physically. A good instructor will test your abilities, but also show you several different ways to succeed in the rescue. There are more ways than one to skin a cat and you should be shown several because all rescues can be very different. Having said that, at this level in your diving I would hope you possess fairly decent watermanship skills and confidence. Use your brain and Stop, Think, Act!

Back
Top Bottom