Rescue Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lindseyb

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
After looking through some of the Thread catagories I can't seem to find the best place for this question. This is an exercise for rescue diver certificate question. I have heard many stories about how physically exhausting it is. I was a life guard many years ago so I have been through water rescue class in my life. As for the Scuba Rescue Diver class what types of Endurance and Strength exercises should I be focused on to help me in the physical part? I plan on taking it this summer.

It's an active class but it's not meant to test your stamina. You really shouldn't have to be training for it.

Put your spouse/or dive buddy in a wet suit/or dry suit and drag them around while swimming either the side stroke or backwards using a frog kick.

Otherwise it is about short duration swimming with some sort of drag or bulky load that makes you work hard.

Im 16 and i got paired up with a woman who was about 200 pounds. Im only about 140. I did fine dragging her out of the surf...wasnt too tireing. But other than that theres nothing to worry about.

Fitness helps in every aspect, but the course is designed to require a high degree of physical strength or stamina. However...as a diver, it pays to have better cardio-vascular conditioning.

I've used my rescue skills on more than one occasion in real life. Stamina for long surface swims has helped me effect real rescues, as has some physical strength (try dragging an unconsious 300lb man, in kit, up a steeply slopping jetty!). Techniques and effective response matters most, but fitness certainly does help.

If you want to increase your diving fitness, just enjoy yourself with some snorkelling and surface finning. Alternate stamina/duration with sprinting. General strength is developed in the gym...

I agree, good cardio-vascular fitness is key. I just finished the PADI rescue diver course less than a month ago. I concentrated my fitness routine around improving my stamina, which I found really helpful during the in-water training exercises.

I did my RD cert in Playa del Carmen with Ben Mooney (Scorpio Divers) about a month ago. There wasn't too much that would require long duration stamina. It did require a reasonable amount of physical strength. I had to do about a 5 minute surface swim to a boat while 1) dragging Ben, 2) doffing both my gear and his gear and 3) maintaining rescue breaths at the correct interval. At the end of the 5 minute swim I had to get into the boat without a ladder and then drag Ben (who was dead weight) back into the boat over the gunwhale and then continue ABCDS.

All of which took about 7 minutes total, but it was quite a workout. BTW, I'm 50.

I swim about 25 minutes, 5 days a week. Works for me....

Good luck to the OP on your RD class. It was the hardest, best class I've taken so far!

Happy diving!

Swimming was key for my course. For the surf rescues, (6 I think in total), our DM "victim" swam out about 75 yards, we had to swim out, solve the problem/dismantle the gear as needed, tow him in, then carry him onto the shore. Although we were tired at the end of the day, it was certainly possible with minimal physical preparation. Of course this is assuming you are comfortable with swimming.

Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom