Rescue Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The rescue diver course is not hard. It really depends on how hard your instructor wants to make the course. If you have to tow somebody 50+yards Fast than it can be really tiring. I am the biggest guy in my group so I got to be the dummy for everybody else. (I drowned a lot those 2 days) I was towed back to shore by 1,2,or 3 divers Then it was my turn to tow. No biggie for me I do know it would be easer in a real emergency due to adrenaline.

It is really about endurance not strength. After towing someone 100yd then carrying them up on land you are SHOT. Now it is time to began CPR and with that being 30&2 that can wipe you out in it's self.

If you ever do approach a victim you will have adrenaline on your side. You never over excert yourself, find a pace that works for you and stick with it. Work to the best of your ability and know you did all you can. Good luck and thank you for taking this course.

Having heaved an unconsious 300lb+ guy up a slipway... with one arm, I can vouch for this. :D

HAHAHA I guess thats why they made me the dummy, Pick the big guy!!!!! I had a blast in my rescue class.

If you have the option I would wear a wetsuit over a drysuit. Your wrist/neck seal is at risk during this class, as you will be dragged out of the surf on the rocks/sand/shells.

Other than that the class is a piece of cake. :D

on the other hand, if you are normally all in drysuits you should learn how difficult it is to deal with that. trying to surface an unconscious drysuit diver while you are in a drysuit means managing 4 different air spaces. wetsuits are cheating yourself on the learning experience a bit.

I also can say that when you have to perform a rescue of an unconscious diver who is laying in a rowboat, check first that they don't have thier feet under a seat! inflating both BC's and my drysuit trying to lift him ( he was a pretty big guy) and realizing I was also rescuing the boat made me feel pretty stupid. The endurance should not be a problem for most divers. I felt the hardest thing was rescue breathing in water without also drowning the victim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom