Response to depth questions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The most common question I get from recreational depth divers or the general curious bystander when I'm seen in non standard equipment is 'what's the deepest you've dove?' I don't like promoting depth as a dive goal or something to be held as a remarkable achievement so I'm always hesitant to reply.

I'm wondering how you respond? My replies are along the lines of 'as deep as I need' or 'right to the bottom' or 'I just go as deep as what I'm wanting to see'. A light reply and then turn the conversation to their interest in diving or their experiences.

I appreciate the fascination with the deep, but I shy away from putting actual depth in my answer. Anyone else have this hesitation? I got turned off depth challenges by unofficial single tank depth record attempts that ended with dead divers.

Cameron

Last edited:
I usually say how deep, 101' (it was a pinnacle in Maui not any personal record attempt), but then say I mostly dive much shallower as there is more light and plenty to see, and I mention special gas needs for deep diving and how nitrogen in air is narcotic at depth and starts making you stupid around 90-100' plus depending on the individual, which is not a good thing underwater. I might also mention that the divers we train are only certified to 30' at first, scientific divers, so that is the range I'm often at. Nothing exotic about ~100', but most have the reaction of that being really deep.

(I'm not tech trained, and missed the forum this was in.)

As an open water diver I actually get irritated at coy answers. If I ask something straightforward like what wreck someone has been on and how deep was it, I would like a straightforward answer. I find trying to change the topic insulting. Often the answer to my inquiry leads to another question such as gas mixes, how you discovered that particular site, etc. Just because a lesser experienced diver asks about challenging dives doesn't mean (s)he is going to attempt it.

Last edited:
As an open water diver I actually get irritated at coy answers. If I ask something straightforward like what wreck someone has been on and how deep was it, I would like a straightforward answer. I find trying to change the topic insulting.

Have we met? ....the occasional diver I
talk with doesn't like my kind of reply (as you well summarized how it can come across as insulting).

Hoping for a better approach I can adopt.
Cameron

No we haven't met. I ask someone about their gear and what they were prepping for when I was at a mudhole and he was doing a shakedown with a newer configuration. My next questions were, ok how deep, how long was deco, and where did you train etc? I think most inquiries into depth are just natural and deserve an honest answer even if you have to throw in caveats.

I'm usually honest with other divers but I tend to generalize and gloss over the answer with non divers. Part of the reason I don't go into specifics is because it usually involves questions about it being safe and my often lack of a buddy.

If you're my student, you'll get the unvarnished truth. I want them to learn from my bone head mistakes. I'd you're a diver I'll ask why you want to know. You'll probably get a lesson you weren't looking for. If you're a non - diver, then you'll get the "I've been all the way to the bottom, but I didn't find the treasure."

I will give them the real answer. For beginners depth can be fascinating as it was for me as beginner. During my ow course I knew I wanted to become a technical diver. So why ly?
I directly tell them too that I used all different kind of gases, and that is needs experience. And that the way down is much faster than the hours to come to the surface again.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom