RK3 fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marty Bess

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So while in Grand Cayman with a bunch of British divers, I found out that RK3 is huge there, why is that, are they that much better than my Seawing Supernova's?

Thoughts from anyone??

Thanks!

So while in Grand Cayman with a bunch of British divers, I found out that RK3 is huge there, why is that, are they that much better than my Seawing Supernova's?

Thoughts from anyone??

Thanks!

I suppose it is so because the RK3 have been in the market for many years before the Supernovas came out to market. The Supernovas are only one or two years old. Also, RK3 are made by Apeks, a UK based dive equipment manufacturer.

Thoughts from anyone??

Thanks!
yes. but the deep6 eddys are even better. but you're only allowed to call them flippers which really puts alot of people off.

Thoughts from anyone??
Equipment preferences are often religious. Rarely do people provide objective reasoning for a preference. When I read people stating that product X is "the best", I often hear Johnny Brennan saying it.

The reality is, most gear will work just fine for you. Certain companies have more market share in some areas, less in others.

Equipment preferences are often religious. Rarely do people provide objective reasoning for a preference. When I read people stating that product X is "the best", I often hear Johnny Brennan saying it.

The reality is, most gear will work just fine for you. Certain companies have more market share in some areas, less in others.
yeah, so there's this guy here on SB with these fins that, ummm.... yeah.

yeah, so there's this guy here on SB with these fins that, ummm.... yeah.
I too prefer Deep 6 Eddy fins, as they are very light, fairly compact for travel and are stiffer than my cold water drysuit steel-twinset fins Hollis F1s. Only when I need more weight towards to my feet do I go for heavy fins. My understanding is the RK3 HD's are heavy and stiff like the Eddys (Eddies?) while the regular RK3 are light like the Eddys but less stiff. I like that with small fin kicks, I can move precisely, which is nice for photography. That's as objective as I can be.

I was invited to 'make up numbers' for a weeks diving with a dive club [I am not a club sort of guy] , 16 in the group, 13 were diving RK3 , even the skipper of the dive vessel said 'what's with the RK3s?' in a whisper to me as I know him, it's a club thing , I think, I said.
The other 2 not wearing RK3 were also not club members, Mares Avanti Quattro for them.
I dived Scubapro go sports that trip, I was the only one using Scubapro regulators and BC also, out of 16 divers that is rare here, the 13 had Apeks or Aqualung regulators, the other 2 divers, Mares 15X, I think they were.
I will not name the 'club', like a uniform, it's what they use, not my scene at all, all trained buy the same 'agency' also, again, no names no court martial.
I have RK3s and they are not used now, going on eBay now.

I have used a bunch of different fin types over the years, recently went to a set of RK3 as I wanted something shorter and they had the right amount of stiffness for my old joints. I find them ideal for how I kick and like how easy they are to take off when holding onto a boat ladder.

I dive a mixed bag of brands, too old to be stylish and like what I like. I will admit to being an Apeks regulator fanboy, my one weakness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom