Rotating Spare Regulators Into Regular Use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Multiple people here have advocated using same model primary and backup regulators, and also having a ready spare 1st and 2nd stage for purposes of saving a dive/dive trip.

On my vehicle, I have a full size spare that gets put on a wheel at every tire rotation and one of the active tires becomes the spare. So I'm thinking something like that would be worth considering for regulator spares.

My question is, do you have a system for doing that? Do you rotate the spares into operation every "X" dives or months? And how does that impact your service plan?

"System" is a strong word, there is certainly nothing scientific about when mine get rotated which helps keep the failures a bit more random, but it's generally speaking whenever I remember to or whenever they get taken apart and put back together randomly. Granted I have a few dozen regulators around so that is easier for me but if I just had a singles regulator set with a spare first stage then once a year I would probably swap first stages with the primary 2nd becoming secondary and use that as an opportunity to retune the second stages and call it a day

So what can be said for the self life of a spare from a service standpoint? Even though it's not in use, I assume parts age and need service. How long would you let a spare sit unused before servicing?
FWIW a local tech in Melbourne authorised to work on Kirby Morgan commercial gear said in order to meet WorkSafe requirements the o-rings need to be changed every year even if it's just sitting on the shelf.
Seems rather excessive to me but he was adamant that the o-rings can develop a set or harden once installed and if fact was in the middle of replacing all the o-rings in a two year old NOS Kirby Morgan helmet before sale.

Multiple people here have advocated using same model primary and backup regulators, and also having a ready spare 1st and 2nd stage for purposes of saving a dive/dive trip.

On my vehicle, I have a full size spare that gets put on a wheel at every tire rotation and one of the active tires becomes the spare. So I'm thinking something like that would be worth considering for regulator spares.

My question is, do you have a system for doing that? Do you rotate the spares into operation every "X" dives or months? And how does that impact your service plan?
I use two ScubaPro and two Dive Rites that get paired with their twins. When I switch them to dive single tanks, I try to remember to swap their post position.

My spare regs are my stage regs, which I use often. I recently got a spare stage reg and will be working that in after it returns from initial service.

This is one of the few things where balanced seconds have a huge advantage over unbalanced. An unbalanced second will take a set in the soft seat in roughly the same amount of time whether used or not. Balanced seconds will last longer on the shelf without taking a set. Even at that, my unbalanced seconds with DIY seats (softer than factory and take a set faster) still last 2 to 3 years... Then I just flip or replace the seat.

Respectfully,

James
I see the G260 has an adjustment on the purge that basically puts it in "storage mode" and supposedly extends the time in storage between service events?

I have a full spare regulator set ready to dive for both my primary and my pony. These are always in the car configured and ready to dive if needed. All I would have to do is swap over the AI transmitter and they are ready to go. I have dived them on occasion in the past but have recently decided to try and dive them more regularly. I'm thinking about at least once a quarter. That will help me ensure they remain in good working order.

I have about 5 regulator sets that are dive ready and another few that are still in various stages of repair.
I’m actually taking up rotating reg sets almost every time I dive. Yesterday I used my MK2/108 for a solo dive. The dive day before that was a two tanker and I used my MK20/G200B-R095 set up hog style for the first dive. Then second dive I used a MK5/109’s hog rigged. Someone asked why I used two different sets for two dives and my reply was “Because I can”.
I have a couple more sets of MK5’s with 109’s and a Conshelf with metal seconds that will be put into rotation probably on my next dive day.
My reasoning is why not? What good are they if they are never used?
I rotate tanks too.

I see the G260 has an adjustment on the purge that basically puts it in "storage mode" and supposedly extends the time in storage between service events?
correct...push in slightly and turn

Back
Top Bottom