Routing the 7 foot hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know there have been posts about hose routing (which I have read)...but here is my question.

I just upgraded to a 7 foot hose as my 3 foot one was pretty stiff and restricted head movement. I route the hose from my 1st stage (I am diving single tank with a Zeagle Ranger) down across my right hip (tucking the hose under my safety sausage) across to my left shoulder, round my head and into my mouth. I love the freedom this configuration offers. However, I got caught up on my first dive with this configuration with the hose getting almost wedged around my tank valve and 1st stage. Any advice on how to stop this? Thanks!

One of my buddies had this problem.

He had his first stage upside down, so we fixed that and the problem went away.

JimC:
One of my buddies had this problem.

He had his first stage upside down, so we fixed that and the problem went away.

*nods* My US Divers 1st stage doesn't have an upside down per se. It looks rather like a luna lander on it's side!

DrSteve:
I know there have been posts about hose routing (which I have read)...but here is my question.

I just upgraded to a 7 foot hose as my 3 foot one was pretty stiff and restricted head movement. I route the hose from my 1st stage (I am diving single tank with a Zeagle Ranger) down across my right hip (tucking the hose under my safety sausage) across to my left shoulder, round my head and into my mouth. I love the freedom this configuration offers. However, I got caught up on my first dive with this configuration with the hose getting almost wedged around my tank valve and 1st stage. Any advice on how to stop this? Thanks!

The best change I made was having my long hose come out from the BOTTOM of my first stage (pic attached.) It lays very comfortably and flat, and doesn't make that upward rising loop it used to make.

The stuff that is shoulder mount (essentially - the Wing Inflator and Necklace) come off the "V" ports sort of angled inward slightly. The DS hose lays flat against the back of my shoulder and the SPG sort of lays over the top of stuff for easy access and reading.

Its been a good change for me.

K

DrSteve:
However, I got caught up on my first dive with this configuration with the hose getting almost wedged around my tank valve and 1st stage. Any advice on how to stop this? Thanks!

Out of curiousity, how is the safety sausage arranged so that it holds your long hose?

In general, I use either my light canister or tucking a loop of the long hose through my waist belt as a method of controlling the length of the long hose. Is the loop behind your head the part of your hose which is getting caught? If that's the case, then it may just be a sign of too much slack from the long hose. If that's the case, then try taking up more of the slack from the capture point, i.e. if I were tucking the hose into my waist strap, I'd put a larger loop of hose through the waist strap.

But it's more important to understand exactly where you're finding the problem.

Joe Talavera

joe_at_subtidal:
Out of curiousity, how is the safety sausage arranged so that it holds your long hose?

rolled up and clipped to a d-ring on the bottom, right-side
of the BC, if i had to bet. hose goes under it.

and if i may take the liberty (not being DIR myself), I seem
to recall that DIR calls for the long hose to be routed
under the light canister, and no "danglies" (such as the sausage) are allowed. so...

am i wrong in thinking this is not a DIR set-up?

It's more a case of the hose being routed underneath the safety sausage which is clipped on the lowest D ring of my BC. It doesn't really hold it down, that it keeps it tucked away and won't cause a problem should I need to donate my primary.

Just for the record...I'm not DIR, just trying to do it better :)

DrSteve:
Just for the record...I'm not DIR, just trying to do it better :)

lol that's me too

How do you extend it if you do. What I learned is the 7 ft hose is on top of everything else so it doesn't get hung up on any thing when deployed. If you clip it off or place it behind something whats the point of having it. I route mine under the right arm across my chest the under the left arm and around the back of my neck into my mouth. No dangles and deployment is easy.
Fred

The last I looked, this was a DIR forum. The point of stowing the hose is for streamlining and eliminate the possibility of it becoming a flopping bother.

The 7 foot hose can be routed under a cannister light if you use one, or tucked into your waist webbing to take up any slack. If routed under a cannister light (or something similar) it is no big deal to deploy the hose around the <cannister> when being used. It is also no big deal to re-stow the hose. The same thing applies to when it is tucked into your webbing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom