SB Report Card: Part 1

How comfortable are you posting and/or starting a new topic on ScubaBoard?

• I have no problems posting freely

Votes: 157 74.8%
  • I post on occasion, but hesitate to do so.

Votes: 44 21.0%
  • I look, but don't post.

Votes: 9 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It took me a long time and lots of 'dipping my toes in to test the water,' but eventually I became a frequent poster. I do contribute to threads, but for whatever reason, only infrequently begin one of my own. It takes a special kind of courage to start a thread because it's one thing to contribute something to a thread like "has anybody dived with XYZ Charters" and quite another to post a question about training or technique. I remember once, years ago, asking how to use a double ender to clip a finger spool so that it wouldn't unwind. The first response to that question was "why do you want to know?" I found this terribly intimidating because it seemed to indicate that only the "chosen" could have access to particular kinds of information. Fortunately somebody posted an image for me, and that response taught me that not everybody believes that "knowledge is power" and tries to wield this power through forum responses.

Well, I can't help any of you about the Canadians, but I'd like to hear from some of those that are hesitant to post.

I can appreciate your hesitation to post if you are a new diver, but what about the rest? Do any of you ever feel intimidated to post something even if you know it will help?

No one can help with the Canadians but hopefully some day there will be a solution. :D J/K, a few of my fave buddies are Canucks.

A few years ago, with much trepidation, knots in my stomach and much urging from dive buddies, I started a thread about a class I'd taken knowing that that style of diving was a "hot topic" on SB. Surprisingly, I survived and most of the posters were encouraging and informative while some posters were less so.

If I feel I have information to contribute to a scuba question that has not already been posted I will post. If the posters are argumentative I will simply walk away from the thread. I'm not brave enough to jump into a raging fire.

Why engage the rude poster or the pot stirrers? I'd rather let them play without me. I enjoy rolling around in mud when I'm spelunking but rolling around in the mud online is not my thing.

No one can help with the Canadians but hopefully some day there will be a solution. :D J/K, a few of my fave buddies are Canucks.

:catfight:

sometimes it needs to be said..... perhaps a better way, but that isn't always the way it comes out.....

I am not ever hesitant to post a question on any thread when I am either ignorant or feel like I am misinterpreting the post/thread.

I do have some hesitation with "Stirring the Pot" as it has been called. I prefer to see how things play out. I must admit, that when it feels like a thread is becoming a mud slinging event, I get bored and leave it alone, but for the most part the arguments start people thinking about things. Thinking on things that they may not have considered otherwise, which is a fantastic because it brings about new ideas and concepts. So in the end, I don't try to make things better or worse, I just watch them play out. If its beyond ridiculous and becomes nasty, I report it. Otherwise, I just let it be.

Also... I had an American friend who kept telling me Canadians didn't have souls... so I took his! :D

-- Nielsent

Last edited:
I have no problems posting but I am frightened of Canadians....

As well you should be ... :crafty:

I have no problems posting, or starting a thread, in the few places I have any info to offer. I try to check myself before pulling the trigger to make sure my post more than, "Yeah, me too" , unless that has been asked for.

Never afraid to Post but try to contribute and not just pontificate as some do here. Read a lot and try to glean the Good From the Bad.

Wish a few would tone it down so as not to kill the mood at times. Some people just like to hear their voice/text :) and at time others just want to have an intelectual professional conversation. NO MORE BOUNCE DIVE Threads.....

Back to reading......

I dont have a problem starting or replying to posts and sometimes I get what I consider "snarky" responses. However, I always try to remember that I have posted to an internet forum, and not having an intimate discussion between "friends".

I am pretty surprised at the timing of this poll and can only contribute it to the "why are scuba instructors so bitter" thread. :)

Cheers,
Roger

I dont have a problem starting or replying to posts and sometimes I get what I consider "snarky" responses. However, I always try to remember that I have posted to an internet forum, and not having an intimate discussion between "friends".

I am pretty surprised at the timing of this poll and can only contribute it to the "why are scuba instructors so bitter" thread. :)

Cheers,
Roger

the "bitter instructors" thread was my thought too.

Back
Top Bottom