SB Report Card: Part 1

How comfortable are you posting and/or starting a new topic on ScubaBoard?

• I have no problems posting freely

Votes: 157 74.8%
  • I post on occasion, but hesitate to do so.

Votes: 44 21.0%
  • I look, but don't post.

Votes: 9 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dont have a problem starting or replying to posts and sometimes I get what I consider "snarky" responses. However, I always try to remember that I have posted to an internet forum, and not having an intimate discussion between "friends".

I am pretty surprised at the timing of this poll and can only contribute it to the "why are scuba instructors so bitter" thread. :)

Cheers,
Roger

I lurked for over a yr before I got the nerve to post. Those who know me in real life and the nets, would find this out of character. I have to say that the mods do a great job, ....for the most part.... there are a few, as always, that dominate the chats. I have put more than a few on ignore, the ones who 'know it all' so to speak. It keeps my blood pressure down and I don't see that it takes away from the conversation in the least. I talk about what I know about, and stay out of the rest... read A LOT...

As a current mod/admin on two other boards. If Scubaboard runs true to course, there are a lot more complaints than the public sees or knows about. The mods have a light hand and stop the dogpiling fairly rapidly I like that.. carry on.

Back to lurking (for the most part) and reading.
'bella

ps... the ignore function works real well if ya know what I mean.. :D

When I first registered I was a little intimidated, read around the board a lot and found some harshness in some peoples postings. After time found the "rhythm" of the board, learnt who were helpful, kind etc and who were rude/brash/argumentative etc.

I must admit when I first joined I felt a little like the new kid at a new school. I tried to follow what I thought was the norm behaviour and probably at times came across as bit of a dick, I may have even once or twice said "use the search function" a response that I now absolutely loathe. It took a while to find my own style.

I am still a little intimidated by some members due to either their knowledge or manner. Im happy to post to new divers questions as often I feel qualified enough to answer them. Im happy to respond about equipment questions as different equipment is a big interest of mine. I tend to stay away from "hot topic" threads as I don't really like confrontation.

Im still a little hesitant to start a new thread but that's my own **** maybe need to be a little harder/braver.

Work in progress.

and yes I like to lurk a little too..get the vibe of a thread before possibly jumping in.

Last edited:
When I first came upon ScubaBoard I did not even register for a while - I could read what I was interested in without needing to post or login. Then I found there were areas where I wanted to add my 2 cents. Sometimes I had my contribution appreciated, sometimes I got slapped at.

After some time I found the chat threads, the Pub, etc. Whine and Cheeze made for some fun reading, and I played a few of the games for a bit.

I have come to meet some of my "online" buddies in real life, and that has been a pleasure.

I don't start a lot of threads - but I tend to search for previous answers before I ask a question.

I'm not too afraid of Canadians - not even those who speak their mind, eh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom